Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wib

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
I have the 7plus and I also took a few days to get used to the new button, but now much prefer it. I was disappointed when my 10.5 didn't have the same one. I feel the 'fake' button is much stronger and won't break. I also love the feeling when you scroll through things like the time when you're setting your alarm, as it feels almost clockwork. I'm a big fan of matching analogue and digital and that's why I'm in 7th heaven being able to use the pencil on my iPad as it's the best of both worlds for me.

A long answer, sorry. But basically Op, don't let the initial 'it's alive and freaky' feeling of the home button put you off upgrading, you probably will get used to it and grow to love it.

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Coming from the 6, I actually really like the Haptic Feedback of the 8 plus button! I'm even enjoying using 3-D Touch! Something I had previously thought was just a gimmick!

Just goes to show that you can train an old dog to do new tricks! ;)

Count me in with the other old dogs. I too thought the 3-D Touch was a gimmick, but while stumbling around trying to get the phone set up (ugh! went so much easier 4S -> 6), noticing some useful functions that I will like. Just need to get the "muscle memory" to access stuff through that mode.

Though not a fan of "system haptics". Turned that one off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Still messing with the settings and already I'm kind loving it. The home button/ Fingerprint ID is EXTREMELY quick and responsive to unlock it.
This entire phone feels like a super computer compared to the 6 Plus!

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I like the iPhone 7 home buttons. Now when I press the iPhone 4,5 or 6 home buttons,there is way too much travel.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This is the first time I have a haptic home button. Honestly, I like it and I don’t have to worry about that dreaded time where the button crumbles a bit from loosening. The home button was never trustworthy.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I came from a 6S. Never had any issues with the mechanical button but I think I much prefer this haptic one. It's strange at first but it's actually a really solid feeling thing and by the end of launch day I thought it felt the same as, if not better than the real thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.