Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
What are you talking about? You hold your phone by the screen? I picked up my phone several times to check and my fingers didn't touch the screen at any time unless I wanted it to.
[doublepost=1496277634][/doublepost]NOW give me a phone the size of the 7+ with a screen like the "8" and I'll be giddy as all get out.

Don't tell me you never tried to tap something with your thumb only for your thumb muscle base to hit the screen first
[doublepost=1496322045][/doublepost]
Yes, but I consider the iPhone 4.7" to be unergonomic in width so the S8 is also not ergonomic in my opinion. Neither are used optimally with one hand. Also consider the edges, the machining (aluminum vs a rubberized back), etc. Many other things would make these devices more ergonomic.

Physical and software both have the same weight in ergonomics. Complete lack of software optimization for left handed and right handed users have made some compromises in how users interact with screen. Too much finger travel is one of the worst killers of ergonomics as well, the best example is lack of properly placed back button on iOS with afterthought of having it in upper left corner which means you have to use both hands in order to reach it. Android is even worse in finger travel. Also bottom tabs in apps are bad solution, they might be the quickest solution to fragment the app and to get where you want quickly but its not good for one hand use.

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
View attachment 701629
That upper ^^^^^^^^ camera and earpiece grill cutout from display looks ugly to be honest.Apple will never make it like that.

In comparison with Bezel less model iPhone 7 Plus looks so bulky and outdated with those massive bezels :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Applesuppliers TSMC confirmed Apple had successfullyintegrated Touch ID fingerprint recognition into the OLED display." :- Macrumors Said

This will be huge win win for me. Never liked the idea of rear touch id :D

Well in my opinion it looks good. The alternative would be to basically have it go all the way across. To basically have the headpiece as per iPhones to date.
That would look worse in my view!
[doublepost=1496328760][/doublepost]
There's no way the iPhone will have 0 bezels, it's just not possible or desirable. You couldn't hold the phone without touching or covering the screen.

That's what Multi touch is for!
[doublepost=1496328847][/doublepost]
OMG that cutout is worse than a (small) bezel
What's worse is Samsung solution to have thin chins on top and bottom. Makes the Samsung Galaxy S8 look like a TV remote!
[doublepost=1496329078][/doublepost]
Why would anyone want an obstruction like that in their viewing area. Just silly.

Because the only way to have a screen that goes all the way to the top and bottom is to have cut out. If you do not want the cut out then you have to stop the screen before it reaches the camera and earpiece etc. Then it just looks like the samsung Galaxy S8 which look like a TV remote!
[doublepost=1496329224][/doublepost]
Not sure I get this fascination with bezel-less phones. OK, the screen is marginally bigger but at the expense of good ergonomics (handholding). Thinner bezels, sure, but not without them. And I wonder why the idea of a pure glass slab on front is considered good design now? It's just a black slab until turned on and then it's the same as before but with less bezel. I don't get the awe and amazement about it.

In relation to the ergonomics that is no problem because of something you may not have heard about..it's called Multi touch! It is smart at ignoring unintended inputs!

In relation to everything else, then do not buy it.
[doublepost=1496329825][/doublepost]
It wouldn't surprise me if it would work something like this:

C_FysRYXUAAlgMR.jpg

Or this:

DBGmVlSXoAEgtVT.jpg

Either something in iOS 11 changes with the status bar or maybe some new functionality will be introduced to fill up the screen parts next to the camera.

This wil not happen. The patent you are referring to is many years old and is just a theoretical solution. Just look how bad front facing cameras are right now and then try to imagine a screen in front of it. The tech is not ready for this yet. And even if it was, the screen part were the camera is would need to be able to turn transparent, so that part of the screen would be of a lower quality than the rest of the screen. It's not a solution for now or the next year sadly.

ACTUALLY it is possible ! That is why Apple were granted the patent. I am not sure if the solution is able to be mass produced in high numbers.
But it is possible and I have read the patent and understand it.

Reactions: Sunny1990

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
In relation to the ergonomics that is no problem because of something you may not have heard about..it's called Multi touch! It is smart at ignoring unintended inputs!

In relation to everything else, then do not buy it.
Multi-touch means nothing ergonomically to the physical construction of a device. At the end of the day it's a slab of metal and/or glass. That's not very ergonomic. Since I don't particular find a big black slab to be a "gorgeous" design I certainly won't be first in line to buy one -- especially since no one can actually articulate clearly what makes bezel-less more ergonomic or, for that matter, a superior design. Just another quest for something marginally different in one aspect but also a "me too" in another.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
What are you talking about? You hold your phone by the screen? I picked up my phone several times to check and my fingers didn't touch the screen at any time unless I wanted it to.
[doublepost=1496277634][/doublepost]NOW give me a phone the size of the 7+ with a screen like the "8" and I'll be giddy as all get out.
How do you hold it when watching videos? I bet your fingers wrap over the edge of the phone. If you used a phone like the S8 you'd realize how annoying it can be

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
There's a difference between thin bezels and no bezels. Look at the S8, that is virtually all screen but has very thin bezels. I mean you need some kind of bezel around the camera and sensors, otherwise it will look like the Essential phone which is horrible IMO.

True, but then there's this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...th-full-face-display-ar-heads-up-windows/amp/

I firmly believe Apple will find a way to hide all that under the display. No idea how they'll do it, but Apple is clearly going all out with this year's iPhone so it wouldn't surprise me if they put a lot of money into developing a method to hide all that behind the display without impeding the sensors/camera/speakers performance. Only 3 more months till we get our answer. :)

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
True, but then there's this: http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...th-full-face-display-ar-heads-up-windows/amp/

I firmly believe Apple will find a way to hide all that under the display. No idea how they'll do it, but Apple is clearly going all out with this year's iPhone so it wouldn't surprise me if they put a lot of money into developing a method to hide all that behind the display without impeding the sensors/camera/speakers performance. Only 3 more months till we get our answer. :)
I think you are too positive.
You should be happy if apple could even implement touchid in display, the other stuff you mention, it won' t happen this year.I think not even in 2018, 2019 could be a possibility.
This tech is not yet implemented in anything, no other aplliances, etc. And to bring it on mass market this year? No, sorry...

Reactions: geoff5093

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I think you are too positive.
You should be happy if apple could even implement touchid in display, the other stuff you mention, it won' t happen this year.I think not even in 2018, 2019 could be a possibility.
This tech is not yet implemented in anything, no other aplliances, etc. And to bring it on mass market this year? No, sorry...

Hey, there was nothing like the iPhone in the mass market either until Apple suddenly revealed it. Who's to say they aren't going to do the same? Pessimism gets me nowhere, I'd rather be cautiously optimistic. ;)

NamE_O

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2016
Hawaii, United States
So based on these rendors, I'm guessing the top left & right will (obviously) show things like time, battery, data connection, etc. and that will somehow make that camera cutout "disappear." And at the bottom, it will have a Touch Bar-like input method which is just about the camera cutout size so that it looks symmetrical. Whether I'm right or wrong, this year will definitely be exciting. I'm really looking forward to WWDC & this fall.

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
I like it, looking forward to the iPhone 8. This is coming from an Android user, currently owning a Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Personally, I'd rather keep the plus form factor (I've sucked it up and gotten use to it over the last two years), and make the screen take up the whole front of that. But I'll certainly buy the "8" anyway :)

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
This is exactly what I've been thinking. This completely undermines Apple's sales strategy. People have been trained for nearly 10 years to understand that, first there's a number year, then "S" year.

If Apple releases a 7s and 7s Plus, alongside an iPhone 8/Pro/Edition, people will likely just get confused and wind up buying the 7s/7s Plus because it sounds new and it's cheaper, or they'll wind up going to a Galaxy S8 because it's "new" and it has a big screen, unlike the 7s/7s Plus.

My idea is that Apple announces the iPhone 8/Pro/Edition as the flagship, as well as an "updated" iPhone 7/7 Plus, with just an A11 chip upgrade (nothing else). Think of it like a iPhone 7 Series 2. It's not technically an iPhone 7s, just a slightly updated iPhone 7. This way, Apple can just focus on iPhone 8/Pro/Edition in advertising, while still selling an iPhone that is priced for a mass market appeal, as well as a flagship for a premium.

I really don't understand why Apple even bother to sell the 7S and 7S plus when iphone 8 is there. I mean, you see this brand new design edge to edge iphone 8 in front of you, who else will be stupid enough to buy the iphone 7S which is still using the same design and outlook for the last 3 years?

What customers will buy a old design phone when there is a new one is available? Remember, the "old design iphone 7S" will sell at the same price you buy your iphone 7 today. Even if iphone 8 is more expensive, what customer will pay the same price of an iphone 7 for an iphone 7S ?? I just don't get it.

Martoony

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
It wouldn't surprise me if it would work something like this:

C_FysRYXUAAlgMR.jpg

Or this:

DBGmVlSXoAEgtVT.jpg

Either something in iOS 11 changes with the status bar or maybe some new functionality will be introduced to fill up the screen parts next to the camera.

This wil not happen. The patent you are referring to is many years old and is just a theoretical solution. Just look how bad front facing cameras are right now and then try to imagine a screen in front of it. The tech is not ready for this yet. And even if it was, the screen part were the camera is would need to be able to turn transparent, so that part of the screen would be of a lower quality than the rest of the screen. It's not a solution for now or the next year sadly.

Yes it will - And this patent is real. The whole OLED is translucent and those pixels will turn off in camera mode. Otherwise the pixels will be on and cover the camera. Any tinting from the translucency is corrected in SOFTWARE.

4RUNRCLB

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016
Phoenix
I have a feeling the iPhone 8 design isn't going to live up to the hype. Unless they've figured out how to put Touch ID on the front I'll wait til next year. I also hope they done end up doing a 7s as the 7 was pretty much just a 6ss.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Yes it will - And this patent is real. The whole OLED is translucent and those pixels will turn off in camera mode. Otherwise the pixels will be on and cover the camera. Any tinting from the translucency is corrected in SOFTWARE.

You obviously don't know what a patent is and how OLED works One day Apple's patent will come to life, but not within one or two years. The technology is by far not ready for that.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Man this iPhone 8 is really turning out to be disappointing.

Will hold full judgement for the official release but damn, thinking of just keeping my iPhone 7+ if there is no big reason to change.

If this "concept" is released, Samsung would officially have Apple BEAT in the design game.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
It wouldn' t surprise me if the built in touchid in the display, will not quite be what we expect.
If you see the cutout on the top, and the left and right of this cutout will still be able to display content, i see apple doing the same on the bottom.
The place where touchid usually is placed could be a " dead zone" not able to display content and is also a cutout , just like the top, while the left and the right side next to the touchid are able to display content. And perhaps the ability to display a ring along the borders of the cutout of touchid.
I have a feeling, we' ll be getting a compromised solution, like this.
On the iphone 9 however.....

saile

Suspended
Feb 18, 2017
Since these are only speculation on rumors. Let us wait for the September Keynote before making size comparisons between this or that model.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
samsung galaxy s8 edge achat iphone 7

Last edited:

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
It's an OLED display so even if it looks like this, they can make the top black to match the 'lip' and still put battery, carrier, etc. info in. And if they were concerned about summetry they could add a similar function/info bar to the bottom.

I think this could be true since Apple is switching back to signal bars in iOS 11 instead of the space consuming signal dots.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010

img_0217-png.701629

That upper ^^^^^^^^ camera and earpiece grill cutout from display looks ugly to be honest.Apple will never make it like that.
In comparison with Bezel less model iPhone 7 Plus looks so bulky and outdated with those massive bezels :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Applesuppliers TSMC confirmed Apple had successfullyintegrated Touch ID fingerprint recognition into the OLED display." :- Macrumors Said

This will be huge win win for me. Never liked the idea of rear touch id :D

The front is not 100% accurate but regardless, it's interesting to see the size comparisons.

Just checking out old post and it seems like the prediction of new iphone is pretty accurate for the last 2-3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.