Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's so-called "iPhone 8" with an OLED display and wireless charging will also feature an "enhanced receiver" with "further improvements" to stereo sound and waterproofing, according to new research shared this week by JPMorgan analysts tracking the company's supply chain in the Asia-Pacific region.

iphone-7-receiver-800x297.jpg

For those unfamiliar, the receiver is the slim, meshed earpiece cutout above the screen that you hold against your ear during a phone call. Since the iPhone 7, it has doubled as a full-out speaker. With two speakers, Apple says the iPhone 7 delivers two times the audio output of an iPhone 6s with increased dynamic range.

JPMorgan didn't specify what acoustical improvements will be made to the iPhone 8's receiver, but it's reasonable to assume it could have higher peak volume at the very least. The earpiece will also be more waterproof, in line with a previous rumor claiming the iPhone 8 will have even better IP68-rated water resistance.

The research note also made the rather outlandish prediction that AirPods may come as a free accessory with the iPhone 8.

Apple including AirPods with the iPhone 8 isn't something we've heard before, so treat the rumor with a healthy dose of skepticism. But, if the rumor proves to be accurate, AirPods would presumably replace Apple's wired EarPods with Lightning connector that it includes in the box with current iPhone models.

AirPods cost $159 in the United States, considerably more than EarPods, which retail for $29 when purchased separately, and cost Apple barely anything to make, according to estimates by market research firm IHS Markit. It's unclear how much it costs Apple to manufacture a pair of AirPods.

Multiple reports suggest the iPhone 8 will be expensive, with the base model costing at least as much as a maxed out iPhone 7 Plus. Given that many iPhone 8 configurations will likely exceed $1,000 in the United States, perhaps Apple will still be able to achieve a reasonable enough profit margin to include AirPods in the box.

Other iPhone 8 features expected by JPMorgan have all been rumored previously, including a stainless steel and glass design, faster processor, larger battery, wireless charging, and 3D sensing module for facial recognition. JPMorgan estimates the device will be $75 to $80 more expensive to manufacture.

This research note comes from a group of JPMorgan analysts in the Asia-Pacific region, including Gokul Hariharan. Not listed is Rod Hall, who covers Apple for JPMorgan in the United States. Hall is the analyst who believes there's a highly likely chance Apple will preview the iPhone 8 at WWDC in June.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Said to Have Enhanced Earpiece With Further Improvements to Stereo Sound and Waterproofing

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I have said previously that they are considering including AirPods.

It is the flagship iPhone, the most forward thinking and with its higher price, they are able to include them

As for the sound rumors, I haven't heard them before but it wouldn't be surprising.

Reactions: citysnaps

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012
No, don't say that; I was about to get the AirPods this month, but now I'll have to wait until September...

Reactions: Avieshek

scrapesleon

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2017
Jamaica
including AirPods is your excuse for it costing over 1000us but any we are sheeply to spend on it anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This rumor makes sense if Apple will continue to improve the water resistance. The stereo speakers as is on the iPhone 7 is easily My favorite feature.

Last edited:

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
This rumor makes sense if Apple will continue to improve the water resistance. The stereo speakers as is on the iPhone 7 is easily
My favorite feature .
This rumor is nothing special which you are talking about, apple improve these little features year over year, my favorite feature this year will be touch id embedded in the display.i am so excited about it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Critycal

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
iPhone 8 being able to replace the need for most Bluetooth speakers would be huge.

Still, everyday it seems more and more likely that I will be upgrading to the iPhone 7s Plus...

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
If it really turns out to be the grail phone we've all been waiting for with wireless charging, waterproof, a solid glad bezeless slab and a terabyte of storage, well yeah that's great... but will I really pay $1500 for the privilege?

Maybe not.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I have said previously that they are considering including AirPods.

It is the flagship iPhone, the most forward thinking and with its higher price, they are able to include them

As for the sound rumors, I haven't heard them before but it wouldn't be surprising.
I think you're wrong now and every time in the past. It'll come in time, but one year after the release of AirPods, which are considerably more expensive than EarPods and constantly out of stock, just doesn't make sense for apple.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
$75 - $80 more to manufacture, $300 more to buy. Apple has a license to print money. I wonder at what point consumers are going to stop buying a new phone as often as they do. i think we're rapidly approaching the point where people treat their phones more like tablets and laptops and stop upgrading as often. My wife's perfectly happy with her 5S and has no plans to upgrade anytime soon. I've got a 6S and was planning to upgrade to the iPhone 8 but the more I think about shelling out $1000 for a phone I don't need the less inclined I feel to do it. Especially if Touch ID is on the back of the device. That would be a step backward.

Reactions: Rmonster

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm wondering when louder is too loud. I notice my 7+ screen vibrates when playing it loud. I'm wondering if this could damage the display over a long period. I really appreciate the stereo as compared to my 6, that was a nice surprise feature I missed at the keynote.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
This only makes sense if Apple gets rid of all ports on the iPhone 8 including the Lightning port.

Well, it's already clear iPhone 8 will be in high-demand and short supply for months.

Reactions: Robotech

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This rumor is nothing special which you are talking about, apple improve these little features year over year, my favorite feature this year will be touch id embedded in the display.i am so excited about it :)

Continuing water resistance and improving the sound doesn't necessarily have to make it "Special." This is more of an expected improvement that Apple will carry on with to better the iPhone where necessary.

Also, I would not get to excited, as I don't forsee Apple embedding the home button this Year into the display. I believe it will be remapped to the back of the iPhone, if not retained on the front of the iPhone.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
What we need next is more about the camera improvements! Aside from OIS and an improved aperture for the telephoto lens no one uses.

I'd be stoked if they would increase the width of the normal lens. Very jealous of LG G5/6 users.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Kind of loses its point if call quality is garbage in the first place. Wi-fi phone calls? Facetime audio variant?

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
This only makes sense if Apple gets rid of all ports on the iPhone 8 including the Lightning port.

Well, it's already clear iPhone 8 will be in high-demand and short supply for months.

There will not be any shortage if Touch ID is on the back. The silver lining of Touch ID on the back is Apple will finally replace senior management.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
If it really turns out to be the grail phone we've all been waiting for with wireless charging, waterproof, a solid glad bezeless slab and a terabyte of storage, well yeah that's great... but will I really pay $1500 for the privilege?

Maybe not.
Maybe? Definitely not!

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008

Maybe not.
If Apple does charge more than $1000 for the coming iPhone, will Wall Street still expect those tens of millions of iPhone purchasers to upgrade to a newer iPhone the following year? And if they don't, will analysts still claim it's due to Apple being unable to innovate? Why doesn't the same logic apply to toasters and microwave ovens? Use them a year and then upgrade to new ones. I honestly don't know when this requirement to upgrade products on a yearly basis started. When I was growing up 50 some odd years ago, I'm sure products tended to last a lot longer (many years) and we were quite happy to have a product last a long time. Why has that attitude changed so much? One would think with so much talk about dwindling resources consumers would be a lot smarter than to simply stop using perfectly working products just to buy slightly newer ones. I really don't understand this type of behavior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.