Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your iPhone scratching?

• Total voters

Stevo41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Is it just me or has anyone else had an unreasonable amount of sctatches on their iPhone 8 already?

I opened my phone and used it for only a few hours before I noticed a significant amount of scratches on it.

Has anyone else had an issue?

shanshor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
It’s glass. It’s going to scratch. Just like the iPhone 4 did. Your pockets are full of micro particles that are much harder than glass. Yes. It’s safe from keys and coins but don’t think it’s anywhere near unscratchable with normal use.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Anything will scratch if left unprotected. That said, the 8 has the most durable finish of any iPhone. Hardness tests on YouTube show that the front and rear glass is one grade stronger than the 7.

Reactions: ACST

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
No it's completely not normal. I noticed a similar issue with a new S8 using gorilla glass 5. I believe the 8 screen is based off gorilla glass 5 which might be defective compared to previous versions.

Reactions: ciimoc

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Is it just me or has anyone else had an unreasonable amount of sctatches on their iPhone 8 already?

I opened my phone and used it for only a few hours before I noticed a significant amount of scratches on it.

Has anyone else had an issue?

If the 8 scratched as easy as you are implying this place would be packed with threads about it. From what I see you are the first so . . . . . lets see some pictures of these scratches.

Last edited:

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
What kind of scratches? Are we talking deep scratches that you can see while using the phone? Or micro-abrasions that you can only see with the screen off with the perfect light and angle?

Micro-abrasions are perfectly normal occurrence from being in your pocket with whatever particles are in there.

With that being said, you shouldn't be getting deep scratches unless you wear VERY tight pants and are driving the particles in deep to the glass.

Reactions: chilman

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
If you are talking about those surface micro scratches, this is not the glass, but the Oleophobic coating. I had these mark my iPhone 7 up ridiculously easy. My only guess would be that the coating hadn't 100% cured fully, or not applied properly. Either way, I had brought my 7 back to the Apple Store, the genius said it was definitely not normal and replaced my phone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Again this is not normal. Ignore apple apologists as they swarm like crows over any criticism. There should not be any abrasions unless coming in contact with hardness level 6 or plus materials.

I agree it is not normal, if the phone is really scratched so soon, it would be abuse.:rolleyes:

We have no idea what the OP's phone has come in contact with.

Reactions: ABC5S

Stevo41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
It’s glass. It’s going to scratch. Just like the iPhone 4 did. Your pockets are full of micro particles that are much harder than glass. Yes. It’s safe from keys and coins but don’t think it’s anywhere near unscratchable with normal use.
Well I agree with that however, I had some pretty deep scratches on my 8 that I never had on my 6s after two years of use with no screen protector. I know what normal sratches are and I know that glass with scratch but I don’t think it should have been scratched to the degree that I experienced. I found this on you tube of another person with the same issue.
[doublepost=1506375237][/doublepost]
What kind of scratches? Are we talking deep scratches that you can see while using the phone? Or micro-abrasions that you can only see with the screen off with the perfect light and angle?

Micro-abrasions are perfectly normal occurrence from being in your pocket with whatever particles are in there.

With that being said, you shouldn't be getting deep scratches unless you wear VERY tight pants and are driving the particles in deep to the glass.
They are deep scratches. Maybe I’m the only one with this issue but there’s no doubt that it was pretty scratched. Do you have an 8? How’s it holding up?

Reactions: Toocoolracing

mkschenk

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
San Diego
Well I agree with that however, I had some pretty deep scratches on my 8 that I never had on my 6s after two years of use with no screen protector. I know what normal sratches are and I know that glass with scratch but I don’t think it should have been scratched to the degree that I experienced. I found this on you tube of another person with the same issue.
They are deep scratches. Maybe I’m the only one with this issue but there’s no doubt that it was pretty scratched. Do you have an 8? How’s it holding up?
[doublepost=1506375719][/doublepost]I have an issue too, I’ve had iPhones for a while and I never had this problem before now

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I can tell you that I have a gorilla glass 4 product which is an S7 and i kid you not, literally have ZERO scratches on the screen after over a year of use. When I bought a gorilla glass 5 S8 back in June, it got a deep scratch after less than a month of using it and I don't even know where it came from because the phone was always either on my desk or inside a CLEAN bag pocket.
[doublepost=1506377304][/doublepost]
But...but...you're an apologist!

Wait are you actually trying to say that this forum isn't filled with apologists? Are you joking?

Stevo41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
I can tell you that I have a gorilla glass 4 product which is an S7 and i kid you not, literally have ZERO scratches on the screen after over a year of use. When I bought a gorilla glass 5 S8 back in June, it got a deep scratch after less than a month of using it and I don't even know where it came from because the phone was always either on my desk or inside a CLEAN bag pocket.
[doublepost=1506377304][/doublepost]

Wait are you actually trying to say that this forum isn't filled with apologists? Are you joking?
Maybe the newer generations of gorilla glass scratch easier?

Shackrat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
The screen appears to be very durable and scratch resistant. The back glass is not! After 48 hours I have several scratches, including one rather deep scratch. Phone is kept in a pocket with no metal, I do not live near a beach so there's no sand. I set it on a cloth table cover next to the bed at night. This is a big disappointment for me.

It's also worth noting that this was mentioned by at least one reviewer. That said I'm still not sure if I want to put this thing in a case. It's too nice to hold naked!

Reactions: Stevo41

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I have a 7+ that’s been naked for a year. In and out of pockets all the time. I am careful, but have zero screen scratches or marks. I hope the 8 and X hasn’t changed.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
The second I took my 8 plus out of the plastic I put a tempered glass screen protector on with a clear spigen ultra hybrid case. Phone still looks brand spanking new. It’s only been 4 days. I don’t see how anyone could scratch it that bad.

Attachments

• 39284B27-BBD0-44BE-931D-92472C678CEE.jpeg
    39284B27-BBD0-44BE-931D-92472C678CEE.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 621
Reactions: Technarchy

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

I have a 7+ and don’t even notice micro abrasions as of yet.
[doublepost=1506379647][/doublepost]
Maybe the newer generations of gorilla glass scratch easier?

Gorilla glass 5 does scratch easier (although it’s still not easy to scratch). That’s a trade off you make for improved shatter resistance. At least they aren’t using that laminated plastic “shatter shield” on Motorola phones. Those scratch soooooooo easily, but they are also pretty much shatter proof.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
If you are talking about those surface micro scratches, this is not the glass, but the Oleophobic coating. I had these mark my iPhone 7 up ridiculously easy. My only guess would be that the coating hadn't 100% cured fully, or not applied properly. Either way, I had brought my 7 back to the Apple Store, the genius said it was definitely not normal and replaced my phone.

sounds logical. not sure why this post is mostly being ignored

Reactions: xristy and mkschenk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.