Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Since I'm on AT&T, I don't really care because their speeds are garbage. One of these days, I really need to change networks.

As much as I like the new unlimited plans, AT&T’s network took a noticeable hit. AT&T really needs to think about investing T-Mobile-style into their network capacity.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Oh my gosh. So this does prove that the Intel has modem is STILL vastly inferior. Apple is selling an inferior model to those of us on AT&T and T-Mobile. I went to the Apple store to show them just how horrible my call and data quality was on my Intel 7 Plus only to be given a replacement that dropped its first call in store. Thankfully they hadn't wiped my old one yet. So since they don't give a crap, I am just waiting on funds and I'll be getting an Android soon.

If this is how they are playing, I'm voting with my wallet.

Reactions: defvphysics

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I guess I get it. Diversify suppliers, piss on Qualcomm, etc etc. But it's still frustrating that half of the general public has to be given a clearly inferior product for the same price. Don't get me wrong, I understand this won't affect 99% of the public, and there will be very few times where this actually has an effect on any individual with regard to signal. But it's the principle of the thing... #firstworldproblems

Reactions: xpxp2002

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Got an Intel and no complaints here, I’m on WiFi 90% of the time anyways.

IDMwcsz.png

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
All of my Android phones give me better call quality than my last two generations of iPhones. I still love my iPhone but wish call quality could be improved and that Apple would finally give us stereo recording on video...but I digress.

Speaking of digressing, if I ever get a sled dog team, I'm naming one of the huskies "Mimo" and the other "Ookla".

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
All of my Android phones give me better call quality than my last two generations of iPhones. I still love my iPhone but wish call quality could be improved and that Apple would finally give us stereo recording on video...but I digress.

Speaking of digressing, if I ever get a sled dog team, I'm naming one of the huskies "Mimo" and the other "Ookla".

My old Note 3 gets better reception than my damn iPhone 6s and 7 Plus. It's really upsetting to be honest.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My old Note 3 gets better reception than my damn iPhone 6s and 7 Plus. It's really upsetting to be honest.
It's really a mess when two people on iPhones try to have a conversation. Last year there were some serious scheduling problems that resulted because my daughter's teacher and I completely misheard one another over the garbage connection between my iPhone 7 Plus and her IPhone 6s. It was always, ALWAYS a garbled mess when we tried to talk to each other.

My husband and I had problems, too, on our iPhone 7 Pluses even on Qualcomm modems. I used to make him call me back on his S7 Edge. Things got a bit better when he started calling me via his AirPods. I'm not sure if this is all a modem issue or a settings issue or what, but I know it does not fall in line with the "It just works" mantra. I never had to troubleshoot my HTC 10 because it gave me perfect call clarity.

Now to be fair my S8+ gives me a lot of heavy static, and I don't know why.

I certainly do hope things are better for the 2017 iphones.

Last edited:

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I've already seen the difference. My job has me going to rural areas and my unlocked Qualcomm 8+ consistently outperforms my wife's Intel equipped ATT 8+ purchased through the NEXT plan. My phone usually has an extra bar or so and holds onto LTE, while my wife's phone drops into 4G mode and is much slower to regain LTE. When we're in the city the difference isn't as pronounced.
As have I. While I can attest that my 6s had better speeds than my 7 with the Intel chip, it's the ability to use the service in weak signal conditions that is a bigger issue. That and it seems to really fall apart when in a moving vehicle. I'm guessing that handoffs are the issue. But every time I take a call in a car, the audio often cuts out or garbles. Rarely ever had that with the 6s. At home the Intel chip often falls to 4G (and subsequently lose HD Voice), and takes many minutes to recover at times. The 6s never lost LTE in these same places.

I swore off these Intel chips and will never buy an iPhone with one again. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all of Qualcomm's business practices and would enjoy seeing Apple use competition and supplier diversity to help correct it, but until Intel can produce a comparable product I'll wait longer and would even pay more for the Qualcomm radio that just works.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It's really a mess when two people on iPhones try to have a conversation. Last year there were some serious scheduling problems that resulted because my daughter's teacher and I completely misheard one another over the garbage connection between my iPhone 7 Plus and her IPhone 6s. It was always, ALWAYS a garbled mess when we tried to talk to each other.

My husband and I had problems, too, on our iPhone 7 Pluses even on Qualcomm modems. I used to make him call me back on his S7 Edge. Things got a bit better when he started calling me via his AirPods. I'm not sure if this is all a modem issue or a settings issue or what, but I know it does not fall in line with the "It just works" mantra. I never had to troubleshoot my HTC 10 because it gave me perfect call clarity.

Now to be fair my S8+ gives me a lot of heavy static, and I don't know why.

I certainly do hope things are better for the 2017 iphones.

It's sad when my 6s beats the crap out of my 7 Plus. My Note 3 used to get almost double this but I can't find my nano to micro SIM adapter, so I'll do a speed test once I find it.

6s:
4342203f9ea2df278c3b0a70d9f3c0a3.png

7 Plus:
e7b29d4d783c5b1e2f5cf63e0ae1a057.png

I was sitting in the exact same spot. The phones are identical to each other in every way. Same settings, apps, iOS iteration, etc. Only difference is Qualcomm vs Intel.

Also, notice how I've got a bar less on the 6s?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's sad when my 6s beats the crap out of my 7 Plus. My Note 3 used to get almost double this but I can't find my nano to micro SIM adapter, so I'll do a speed test once I find it.

6s:

7 Plus:

I was sitting in the exact same spot. The phones are identical to each other in every way. Same settings, apps, iOS iteration, etc. Only difference is Qualcomm vs Intel.

Also, notice how I've got a bar less on the 6s?
lol, I think you've just helped me make up my mind about getting an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus vs the AT&T IPhone X my husband is trying to steer me toward.

Like I said, it's not perfect with my Qualcomm IPhone 7 Plus but those Intel modems are the pits, for sure.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
lol, I think you've just helped me make up my mind about getting an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus vs the AT&T IPhone X my husband is trying to steer me toward.

Like I said, it's not perfect with my Qualcomm IPhone 7 Plus but those Intel modems are the pits, for sure.
Right? I'm really torn over the options, myself. I don't see the value in going from a 7 to an 8, but I'd almost be willing to pay that kind of cash to get off this Intel chip. Phone calls really are that bad with this device.

On the other hand, if I'm going to spend $849 on a phone that's otherwise very similar to what I have now, I might as well spend $1149 on a phone that has a bigger battery, bigger screen, and a better camera. I just hate to give up Touch ID. Not convinced whether Face ID (especially being first-gen) will be "good enough," and I would really like to have Touch ID to fall back upon should it not prove to be so great.

Regardless, it appears that the iPhone X will not launch with a SIM-free option, so I'll probably have to wait until who-knows-when to get one with a Qualcomm radio. Given the anticipated shortages of (carrier-locked) devices through the remainder of this year and into next, it's a tough call on how to play this one.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

Yeah. I can't afford an unlocked device so I'm just waiting to see what the V30 is going to be like. I'm over being part of the Apple lottery.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Right? I'm really torn over the options, myself. I don't see the value in going from a 7 to an 8, but I'd almost be willing to pay that kind of cash to get off this Intel chip. Phone calls really are that bad with this device.

On the other hand, if I'm going to spend $849 on a phone that's otherwise very similar to what I have now, I might as well spend $1149 on a phone that has a bigger battery, bigger screen, and a better camera. I just hate to give up Touch ID. Not convinced whether Face ID (especially being first-gen) will be "good enough," and I would really like to have Touch ID to fall back upon should it not prove to be so great.

Regardless, it appears that the iPhone X will not launch with a SIM-free option, so I'll probably have to wait until who-knows-when to get one with a Qualcomm radio. Given the anticipated shortages of (carrier-locked) devices through the remainder of this year and into next, it's a tough call on how to play this one.
Very well stated summary of our dilemma. This launch is not at all what I hoped the "Anniversary Launch" would be. I appreciate the technology Apple is trying to bring to the market in all three of the 2017 phones but they've not made for a very enjoyable consumer environment. Our purchase decisions should not have to be based partly on projected shortages or severe inequalities between two sourced components. Oh well. It is what it is.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
modest improvements bhha?
you got to be kidding; there are NO improvement. likely depends on what revision levels are used and in what chip set. The iPhone 7/7+ had the same thing going on with it.

put your $800 down and as luck will have it the new phone will work just as fine as your old one, just your out $800.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
If you read the rest of the article, you'll notice that the lack of 4x4 MIMO is likely the reason why the iPhone 8 falls short in coverage tests as well.

MIMO isn't all about speeds, it's also about signal reliability and usability.

Actually to be technical:
- multiple antennas can be used in two ways (not simultaneously, one or the other)
+ for MIMO (which IS about speed)
+ for diversity (which is essentially about robustness in environments with lots of radio wave reflections)

So it IS a failure on Apple's part not to include more cellular frequency antennas. But those antennas (at least for now) are better utilized in providing diversity than in providing MIMO.

Reactions: jkozlow3

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Honestly, I'm much more interested in how each of the cellular modems performs in areas with weak cell reception than peak speed since my job often puts me in places where cell reception is less than stellar. My 6s generally performs well, but I'd be hesitant to buy an iPhone with an Intel modem (all that is available in Canada on the 7 & 8 series) without some confirmation that it performs at least as well as the 6s in weak signal situations.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Honestly, I'm much more interested in how each of the cellular modems performs in areas with weak cell reception than peak speed since my job often puts me in places where cell reception is less than stellar. My 6s generally performs well, but I'd be hesitant to buy an iPhone with an Intel modem (all that is available in Canada on the 7 & 8 series) without some confirmation that it performs at least as well as the 6s in weak signal situations.

The 7 Plus doesn't for me. While my 6s and Note 3 will generally get at least 4G, my 7 Plus will get edge or no service at all. It's driven me crazy.

jdmachogg

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand

Based on data collected by Ookla, improvements appear to be around the 10 percent mark for most users, but users in Australia could expect up to nearly 25 percent faster speeds thanks to their network structure. Those users can expect up to the full 80 MHz carrier aggregation bandwidth in the phone due to Telestra's use of the appropriate bands.

'Telstra' not 'Telestra' :)

Reactions: h4ck

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Just to see what would happen I just popped the SIM card out of my work issued iPhone on Verizon and popped it into my Intel modem equipped 7 Plus that is part of the iPhone upgrade program and opened up the Apple Store app. Interestingly it does say Verizon in the upper left with zero bars and nothing (no 1x, 3G, LTE, etc.) next to the bars. I started the upgrade process for an 8 and I instead of forcing me to select the T-Mobile model like it does when my personal SIM card is installed (or no SIM card is installed) it actually let me choose any of the 4 carriers. I got all the way to the checkout screen having selected the Verizon model. On preorder night for the X I’m going to try this again and see if I can get the Verizon model that way.

Based on this I would suggest borrowing a Sprint/Verizon SIM from someone and trying to upgrade that way. I’m wondering if maybe even an unactivated Verizon SIM you could pick up for a couple bucks on Amazon or eBay would work?

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Just to see what would happen I just popped the SIM card out of my work issued iPhone on Verizon and popped it into my Intel modem equipped 7 Plus that is part of the iPhone upgrade program and opened up the Apple Store app. Interestingly it does say Verizon in the upper left with zero bars and nothing (no 1x, 3G, LTE, etc.) next to the bars. I started the upgrade process for an 8 and I instead of forcing me to select the T-Mobile model like it does when my personal SIM card is installed (or no SIM card is installed) it actually let me choose any of the 4 carriers. I got all the way to the checkout screen having selected the Verizon model. On preorder night for the X I’m going to try this again and see if I can get the Verizon model that way.

Based on this I would suggest borrowing a Sprint/Verizon SIM from someone and trying to upgrade that way. I’m wondering if maybe even an unactivated Verizon SIM you could pick up for a couple bucks on Amazon or eBay would work?
Not a bad idea to try. Is your iUP 7+ an AT&T phone or a T-Mobile phone? I believe the T-Mobile devices come unlocked, but I'm not sure that the AT&T phone would even let you do anything with the Verizon SIM installed unless it were unlocked first.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
Not a bad idea to try. Is your iUP 7+ an AT&T phone or a T-Mobile phone? I believe the T-Mobile devices come unlocked, but I'm not sure that the AT&T phone would even let you do anything with the Verizon SIM installed unless it were unlocked first.

The only way you get a locked phone is if you do one of the carrier's upgrade programs. All iUP phones are factory unlocked.

This was purchased as an AT&T model last year and I switched to T-Mobile in February.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The 7 Plus doesn't for me. While my 6s and Note 3 will generally get at least 4G, my 7 Plus will get edge or no service at all. It's driven me crazy.
Yeah, I did see some testing which seemed to indicate that the Intel modem used in the 7 series performed worse in low signal situations than both the Qualcomm based 7 and the 6s, which was enough to keep me away from the 7 series. Hopefully some similar testing is done with the 8 series. I could always buy an unlocked iPhone down in the US, but I suspect I'll have issues getting warranty coverage in Canada if I run into issues so I don't know if that's the best option either...

avtella

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2016
Yeah. I can't afford an unlocked device so I'm just waiting to see what the V30 is going to be like. I'm over being part of the Apple lottery.
If you really want Android, go for a Pixel. Google’s phone support/support in general is very good much like Apple’s, with quick replacements if something goes wrong, plus monthly updates/security patches and you will get Android updates before the OEMs. However Google is working on a way to provide updates without the hassle of redoing the OEM’s UI framework (ie TouchWiz, Xperia UI), which is usually the cause of delays. Motorola uses a pretty close to stock version of Android with updates timed close to Google’s releases. LG is pretty decent as well though at least in terms of hardware support.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
if I get in my car(underground parking) it will go to 4g and will stay in 4g for minutes after the drive even the whole drive. I have to flip on airplane mode and back off when I get out of the garage to get my lte to kick back on within 10 seconds.
I thought the 7+ had mimo?
ITs one of my biggest annoyance when leaving for the day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.