iPhone 8+ takes 4 hours to wirelessly charge from 1-100%

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssrij, Oct 6, 2017.

1. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Is it supposed to be faster than the charger plugged in directly? My 7 takes that long to charge if not a little longer using the oem charger. And that battery is quite smaller

2. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

3. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Use the iPad block. It'll charge a lot faster.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Both are very slow. Would make sense to just plug in unless at work or something and you always want to have it charging without having to mess with cables

5. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

No, it's not... and that's why I look at it as more of a convenience than anything else.

I come home from work and put it on the charger... later on in the evening it's full. What's cool about wireless charging is in the 2 weeks I've had the phone I've only used the plug charger once.

Saves wear and tear on the lightning port ya know...

6. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Once iOS 11.1 is released, the iPhone will charge about 50% faster. It'll go from a 5W charger to a 7.5W charger.

It should charge *around* as fast as a 12W charger would charge it.

7. edfoo macrumors regular

How can a 7.5W charger charge as fast as a 12W charger?
    If the 7.5W is 50% faster than the 5W, shouldn't the 12W be 60% faster then the 7.5W?

8. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

The 11.1 update should shave maybe 1 hour off of the charging time. Tbh the only wireless pad I have is on my bedside cabinet and 3-4hrs is plenty of time for an overnight charge.

9. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

From my testing (which, granted, I could be misremembering), the iPhone draws about 8w-9w from a 12w charger. Pretty close to the 7.5w it’ll draw wirelessly.

(I really need to test this again. For science. I’ll post results when done.)

10. TrumpWon! macrumors member

Honestly wireless charging is pointless in my opinion. For one thing you really can’t use your phone while it’s charging and if you do use it while it’s on the pad it’s awkward. Who cares if it takes 4 hours. The only reason I could see wireless charging being used in my case is overnight which doesn’t matter if it’s 4 hours it will still be fully charged when I wake up. Not that hard to plug in a cable before you go to bed and have a full charge that easily lasts you the whole day and even 2 days with the 8 Plus.

11. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

It's more for the convince in Airport's, coffee shops, and furniture. Rather than having a wire you can charge your phone in most places. Lot of cars have a nice wireless charging mat now too and it's all universal.

12. FunkyTang macrumors 6502

I thought it was WIRELESS charging? I see CORDS!!!!

13. chrisforpm macrumors regular

I think it’s more of a convenience when it comes to fumbling around, putting it on a dock or plugging it in. It’s not fast, but often I will use my phone, set it on the wireless charger (instead of putting it on my night stand) let it charge a bit and then use it again.

14. edfoo macrumors regular

Well apparently for some people it is a big deal and very hard for them to plug a simple cable into their phones :p

15. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

belkin 7.5 watt. So if it was usb-c 29watt..it should super fast then.

16. HolyGrail, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

The Iphone 8/8Plus uses the older 1.1 Qi wireless charging standard, so I highly doubt it on an increase that high.

17. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If I need speed I use my iPad charger.

If time is not an issue, like during sleep, I use my Samsung wireless charger.

This video doesn’t remotely concern me.

18. HolyGrail, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

People are subjective. Not everybody is you. For some, the video may concern them.

19. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

They are also using 2 different chargers which adds variables to the experiment.

They should have been timed on the same charger.

20. geta macrumors 6502a

The wireless charging is nice gimmick, nothing more.

It's nice idea to get a bit of battery while the phone not in use, but you still need to connect the ‘charging plate’ with a cable to the wall.. and it's not as fast as i hoped. On top of that, i can't to use the ‘charging plate’ while the phone resting on living room table (90% of the time its where it 'sits' while i'm in the house) because i don’t want to stretch electric cables all over the house. The only place i can hide the cable nicely would be on the office table.

For now it's useless for me. Hopefully in the future they'll have real wireless charging (like WiFi), or at least wireless charging plate.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Huh? The Note took 2 hours and 41 minutes -- while the iPhone took 3 hours and 54 minutes.

You make it sound as if there wasn't much of a difference.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Considering that the iPhone 8Plus can charge to 0-100% in less than 2 hours with a 12W brick, yes, both are very slow. The Note can charge faster than 2hr41min hardwired.

23. DaveOP macrumors 65816

People are subjective. Not everybody is you. For some, the video may not concern them

Wireless charging is more convenient (IN MY OPINION) for overnight charging. I have an 8+, so I never need charge during the day. The Samsung wireless charger was $30 on Amazon, including the power brick. Cheaper than an extra Apple charger, if someone is buying a new one. I have my USB-C/29W combo if I need a faster charge (never been an issue on my iPhone).

24. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

As Mlrollin91 said, I was just stating that both wireless charge options are slow compared to using a cable.