Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Is it supposed to be faster than the charger plugged in directly? My 7 takes that long to charge if not a little longer using the oem charger. And that battery is quite smaller

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Both are very slow. Would make sense to just plug in unless at work or something and you always want to have it charging without having to mess with cables

Reactions: Newtons Apple

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Is it supposed to be faster than the charger plugged in directly?

No, it's not... and that's why I look at it as more of a convenience than anything else.

I come home from work and put it on the charger... later on in the evening it's full. What's cool about wireless charging is in the 2 weeks I've had the phone I've only used the plug charger once.

Saves wear and tear on the lightning port ya know...

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Once iOS 11.1 is released, the iPhone will charge about 50% faster. It'll go from a 5W charger to a 7.5W charger.

It should charge *around* as fast as a 12W charger would charge it.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Once iOS 11.1 is released, the iPhone will charge about 50% faster. It'll go from a 5W charger to a 7.5W charger.

How can a 7.5W charger charge as fast as a 12W charger?
If the 7.5W is 50% faster than the 5W, shouldn't the 12W be 60% faster then the 7.5W?

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
How can a 7.5W charger charge as fast as a 12W charger?
If the 7.5W is 50% faster than the 5W, shouldn't the 12W be 60% faster then the 7.5W?
From my testing (which, granted, I could be misremembering), the iPhone draws about 8w-9w from a 12w charger. Pretty close to the 7.5w it’ll draw wirelessly.

(I really need to test this again. For science. I’ll post results when done.)

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
Honestly wireless charging is pointless in my opinion. For one thing you really can’t use your phone while it’s charging and if you do use it while it’s on the pad it’s awkward. Who cares if it takes 4 hours. The only reason I could see wireless charging being used in my case is overnight which doesn’t matter if it’s 4 hours it will still be fully charged when I wake up. Not that hard to plug in a cable before you go to bed and have a full charge that easily lasts you the whole day and even 2 days with the 8 Plus.

Nilhum

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2016
Honestly wireless charging is pointless in my opinion. For one thing you really can’t use your phone while it’s charging and if you do use it while it’s on the pad it’s awkward. Who cares if it takes 4 hours. The only reason I could see wireless charging being used in my case is overnight which doesn’t matter if it’s 4 hours it will still be fully charged when I wake up. Not that hard to plug in a cable before you go to bed and have a full charge that easily lasts you the whole day and even 2 days with the 8 Plus.

It's more for the convince in Airport's, coffee shops, and furniture. Rather than having a wire you can charge your phone in most places. Lot of cars have a nice wireless charging mat now too and it's all universal.

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
I think it’s more of a convenience when it comes to fumbling around, putting it on a dock or plugging it in. It’s not fast, but often I will use my phone, set it on the wireless charger (instead of putting it on my night stand) let it charge a bit and then use it again.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Not that hard to plug in a cable before you go to bed and have a full charge that easily lasts you the whole day and even 2 days with the 8 Plus.
Well apparently for some people it is a big deal and very hard for them to plug a simple cable into their phones :p

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth

The Iphone 8/8Plus uses the older 1.1 Qi wireless charging standard, so I highly doubt it on an increase that high.

Last edited:

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
If I need speed I use my iPad charger.

If time is not an issue, like during sleep, I use my Samsung wireless charger.

This video doesn’t remotely concern me.

People are subjective. Not everybody is you. For some, the video may concern them.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
They are also using 2 different chargers which adds variables to the experiment.

They should have been timed on the same charger.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The wireless charging is nice gimmick, nothing more.

It's nice idea to get a bit of battery while the phone not in use, but you still need to connect the ‘charging plate’ with a cable to the wall.. and it's not as fast as i hoped. On top of that, i can't to use the ‘charging plate’ while the phone resting on living room table (90% of the time its where it 'sits' while i'm in the house) because i don’t want to stretch electric cables all over the house. The only place i can hide the cable nicely would be on the office table.

For now it's useless for me. Hopefully in the future they'll have real wireless charging (like WiFi), or at least wireless charging plate.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Both are very slow. Would make sense to just plug in unless at work or something and you always want to have it charging without having to mess with cables

Huh? The Note took 2 hours and 41 minutes -- while the iPhone took 3 hours and 54 minutes.

You make it sound as if there wasn't much of a difference.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Huh? The Note took 2 hours and 41 minutes -- while the iPhone took 3 hours and 54 minutes.

Considering that the iPhone 8Plus can charge to 0-100% in less than 2 hours with a 12W brick, yes, both are very slow. The Note can charge faster than 2hr41min hardwired.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
People are subjective. Not everybody is you. For some, the video may concern them.

People are subjective. Not everybody is you. For some, the video may not concern them

Wireless charging is more convenient (IN MY OPINION) for overnight charging. I have an 8+, so I never need charge during the day. The Samsung wireless charger was $30 on Amazon, including the power brick. Cheaper than an extra Apple charger, if someone is buying a new one. I have my USB-C/29W combo if I need a faster charge (never been an issue on my iPhone).

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

As Mlrollin91 said, I was just stating that both wireless charge options are slow compared to using a cable.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.