Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Is this the begining of RIP for lightning?

Yep. The Portless PadPod Pro. All glass. Comes with a first-aid kit full of butterfly bandages and lemonjuice ointment. :eek::D
[doublepost=1480201147][/doublepost]
RF radiation cannot and will not cause cancer. No matter how many hundreds of watts you get exposed to. That much RF can cause burns through the excitation of water molecules in our bodies, but its on the wrong end of the spectrum to cause the kind of damage needed to cause cancer.

I cannot tell you how tired I am of people thinking radio waves can cause cancer. 6th grade science will teach you that its fundamentally impossible.

Since I'm so nice, heres a handy chart to illustrate:

ionizingVSnon-ionizing.jpg

Ionizing = Cancer causing, non-ionizing = no cancer

Here's an interesting observation about cosmic rays. Wait and read it when you're on a plane. It'll be more fun.
http://news.spaceweather.com/rads-on-a-plane-may-oct-2015/
[doublepost=1480201246][/doublepost]Sorry, I added a comment and a link inside the other guy's post. :oops:

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
The next iPhone will have wireless charging.

But only if you use a special case, that will cost about $150-200.

Knowing Apple:
No way Apple will include it in the price of the iPhone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wireless has very real limits—mostly for safety reasons. You're talking about a non-negligible amount of ERP around people. It's one thing to talk about transmitting a few milliwatts next to your head. It's quite another when you're talking about high single-digit watts. That makes the old analog cell phones look like toys by comparison.... You want to talk about cancer fears... at those power levels, they'll actually be legitimate causes for concern.

It wont be high single-digit watts. Newtons Inverse-Square law.

Intensity1 / Intensity2 = distance2^2 / distance1^2

I1 = (D2^2 / D1^2)*I2

If we say I2 is 4w to account for iPhones power needed to complete and process a cellular call plus conversion losses from wireless power to electrical.

At 15ft, ~5meters
(5m^2 / .01m^2)*4w = 1,000,000W

At 15inches, ~40cm
(.4m^2 / .01m^2)*4w = 6,400W

At the charger itself, within millimeters as done with inductive wireless chargers, with only the thin plastic housing separating the antenna.
Half a centimeter, could actually be a thinner distance.

(.015m^2 / .01m^2)*4w = 9W

Oh hey, that last one could maybe be safe, and doable by a typical ac-dc wall wart.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm a little leery of this idea of wireless charging over the air like wifi. Could that possibly be healthy to be near? Sounds like it would be a pocket of cancerous radiation to be near something like that.

A lot of laypeople associate the word "radiation" with nuclear sources. Some take advantage of this to try to frighten others. But the word has a much more basic and benign meaning.

"Radiation" simply means spreading outward. Like light radiating from a bulb, or ripples radiating outward from a stone thrown in a pond, or a steam radiator, well, radiating heat. Or even someone radiating happiness!

So when you see the phrase "RF radiation", it's just shorthand for electromagnetic waves spreading out from a source like an antenna. That's all.

The reason the amount of this kind of energy is sometimes regulated, is because, kind of like with a microwave oven, electromagnetic energy can cause heating in nearby moist human tissue. That is what a Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) test is about.

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
sorry but it seems like anything the iphone doesn't have is a gimmick...until the iphone has it a few years later then...wow what innovation.....
Kinda like waterproofing.....i love my 7+ because it finally has a great camera I can take hiking without worry it will get wet (always around streams and lakes) or snowed on. No more having to wrap it in a plastic bag or just leave it at home for one of my other phones.
Well, you should be sorry because you aren't talking to me both before and after something has been called a gimmick and implemented.

Let's be clear, when something is implemented poorly to check off a box - it is a gimmick, as its marketing value is more important than its use. Apple has been guilty of this in the past as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.