Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
So its no secret Apple is having it's share of problems with the IPhone 8 more on that later. New credible leaks such as the customs intercept confirm Rear Home Button just gross and what will be in place is a pseudo Home Button under the OLED Display. They clearly could not get this right.
On top of that Apple is not including the latest Generation LTE Gigabit Radio due to its tiffy with Qualcomm.

http://bgr.com/2017/06/09/iphone-8-specs-gigabit-intel-qualcomm/

From the tone and sentiment of threads here Customers are Hyped for the IPhone 8 quillty as charged here myself.

Now we get more leaks that show it has Bezels all around, Now if accurate IMO looks worse than the Galaxy S8.

Now, they are at a point where they are playing catchup to Samsung and are behind in design and features think about that for a second. Coupled with yet Unknown Production problems you know will crop up such as and I can just imagine the Thread titles now. "Does your IPhone 8 gets weaker signal than your 7 Plus?" Or "What's wrong with my OLED Display" etc etc.

Multiplied by incredibly difficult to buy the iPhone will be significant beyond history shortages.

All that makes it very likely the wise choice will be to take a wait and see attitude until early quality control issues are ironed out. And through Reviews and done.

Nothing hurts like dropping $999 + tax and getting a bum device only to find out there won't be new stock until March 2018.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thank you for pointing out what the informed already know - the redesign will have probably fewer positives than negatives.

In any event, many would be smart to hold off buying till after the keynote and
beyond.

Another non-story thread from you...

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Personally I don't think we will ever see this absolute failure of a phone. I'm just amazed that one of the most valuable companies in the world is having so so so many trivial issues making a phone.

Well, either that or 95% of these rumours are obvious BS and you have to be a complete idiot to believe that Apple are having all these issues just 2 months before they are set to reveal their new iPhone. Pretty much none of the rumours of doom and gloom have even a shred of evidence and apple have never screwed up even close to the amount that the rumours suggest.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So its no secret Apple is having it's share of problems with the IPhone 8 more on that later. New credible leaks such as the customs intercept confirm Rear Home Button just gross and what will be in place is a pseudo Home Button under the OLED Display. They clearly could not get this right.
On top of that Apple is not including the latest Generation LTE Gigabit Radio due to its tiffy with Qualcomm.

From the tone and sentiment of threads here Customers are Hyped for the IPhone 8 quillty as charged here myself.

Now we get more leaks that show it has Bezels all around, Now if accurate IMO looks worse than the Galaxy S8.

Now, they are at a point where they are playing catchup to Samsung and are behind in design and features think about that for a second. Coupled with yet Unknown Production problems you know will crop up such as and I can just imagine the Thread titles now. "Does your IPhone 8 gets weaker signal than your 7 Plus?" Or "What's wrong with my OLED Display" etc etc.

Multiplied by incredibly difficult to buy the iPhone will be significant beyond history shortages.

All that makes it very likely the wise choice will be to take a wait and see attitude until early quality control issues are ironed out. And through Reviews and done.

Nothing hurts like dropping $999 + tax and getting a bum device only to find out there won't be new stock until March 2018.
Sigh.

If I bought my devices based on these types of threads on MacRumors I'd be screwed.

Who f*ing cares until the damn thing comes out?!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Personally I don't think we will ever see this absolute failure of a phone. I'm just amazed that one of the most valuable companies in the world is having so so so many trivial issues making a phone.

Well, either that or 95% of these rumours are obvious BS and you have to be a complete idiot to believe that Apple are having all these issues just 2 months before they are set to reveal their new iPhone. Pretty much none of the rumours of doom and gloom have even a shred of evidence and apple have never screwed up even close to the amount that the rumours suggest.

I wouldn't call them trivial issues.

What Apple may have done was to underestimate badly the effort level to 'get it right' and now that the 11th hour is near, some hard choices have to be made.

Samsung had to decide similarly in the past and it looks like Apple is no different.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sigh.

If I bought my devices based on these types of threads on MacRumors I'd be screwed.

Who f*ing cares until the damn thing comes out?!

That has to be the most aggressive response I have read from you on here. But I understand these threads become obfuscated with frivolous details on the latest iPhone and Some believe rumors are actual reality, when it's complete distortion. And we are not even to August yet.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That has to be the most aggressive response I have read from you on here. But I understand these threads become obfuscated with frivolous details on the latest iPhone and Some believe rumors are actual reality, when it's complete distortion. And we are not even to August yet.
Yeah, a bit more bite from me than normal.

I get tired and frustrated with these Chicken Little, the Sky is Falling, posts after a while though, particularly when OP has a track record.

And I hate the tone, which presents rumor as fact despite there being no product at the moment.

I just don't like being told what my reality is when it hasn't even happened yet.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Complete load of rubbish. I can't believe the number of click-bait articles I'm seeing at the moment suggesting that Apple are in complete panic and haven't ironed out basic design issues with the phone. It's eight weeks today until they're expected to unveil. Forty working days. Of course there'd be a sense of panic amongst the Apple employees responsible for delivering this thing. There's a sense of panic in my office at the moment because we're three weeks away from a massive deadline date and it feels like there's too many Ts to cross and Is to dot.

Do people really think that the date for a final design hasn't already passed? I work in product development and, Jesus, the final design is locked down MONTHS before the manufacturing window would begin. If there was any sort of debate about something as big as how to implement touch ID, the options would have been on the table and a decision made on the matter a long time ago. At worst, they'd have two workable solutions and be reaching the stage where they had to select one or the other.

And if I read one more article confidently talking about a delay! If there's a 'delay', it was never meant to launch on the expected 8th September date. The launch date is pure conjecture based on previous years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Complete load of rubbish. I can't believe the number of click-bait articles I'm seeing at the moment suggesting that Apple are in complete panic and haven't ironed out basic design issues with the phone. It's eight weeks today until they're expected to unveil. Forty working days. Of course there'd be a sense of panic amongst the Apple employees responsible for delivering this thing. There's a sense of panic in my office at the moment because we're three weeks away from a massive deadline date and it feels like there's too many Ts to cross and Is to dot.

Do people really think that the date for a final design hasn't already passed? I work in product development and, Jesus, the final design is locked down MONTHS before the manufacturing window would begin. If there was any sort of debate about something as big as how to implement touch ID, the options would have been on the table and a decision made on the matter a long time ago. At worst, they'd have two workable solutions and be reaching the stage where they had to select one or the other.

And if I read one more article confidently talking about a delay! If there's a 'delay', it was never meant to launch on the expected 8th September date. The launch date is pure conjecture based on previous years.

I agree. Even the Macrumors main page articles have been somewhat outlandish as of late. To my surprise, I'm baffled by how Many tech enthusiasts believe a lot of what they read. It's interesting to read what analysts or insiders predict, but the reader has to be able use logic over what seems actual versus what's believable.

I have said it before, I stay open minded and realize Apple knows that they're doing, even when ridiculous rumors Surface that appear Preposterous.

Last edited:

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I agree with posts on OP's track record. However, for those of us who don't need any new features and have had their iPhones over 2 years, best buy may be an on-sale iPhone 7s Plus.

Reactions: willmtaylor

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I agree with posts on OP's track record. However, for those of us who don't need any new features and have had their iPhones over 2 years, best buy may be an on-sale iPhone 7s Plus.

And how long will it take for a brand new iPhone to go on sale?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

One difference between your company and Apple is only one of those companies spent $10 billion on R&D last year.

With that kind of budget and engineering bandwidth, Apple can have parallel products designed and on hot standby for production. Apple has the budget to place risk start orders from component manufacturers for parts and variations of parts they may or may not need. Component manufacturers are willing to bend backwards for a chance to be on or remain on Apple's list of suppliers.

This may not be a likely scenario, but I doubt Apple has to lock down a design months in advance. For an average company with a typical budget, yes. But not the company making the iPhone.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, but you're the guy who finds the tiniest flaws (real or imagined) in his phone. Sorry, but I can't take you seriously. You could wait for the 8SSSSS and you'd be posting new threads on all the flaws it has that we ourselves can't find.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
One difference between your company and Apple is only one of those companies spent $10 billion on R&D last year.

With that kind of budget and engineering bandwidth, Apple can have parallel products designed and on hot standby for production. Apple has the budget to place risk start orders from component manufacturers for parts and variations of parts they may or may not need. Component manufacturers are willing to bend backwards for a chance to be on or remain on Apple's list of suppliers.

This may not be a likely scenario, but I doubt Apple has to lock down a design months in advance. For an average company with a typical budget, yes. But not the company making the iPhone.

True, they wouldn't have to finalise the design that early, but I'd gamble that they actually do. In my experience, the more money a company has, the tighter the control on budget and cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.