Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I was probably the last guy in America to go to a AT&T store and play with an iPhone.

I'm a smart phone guy, and knew I wanted an iPhone on Mail, iCal, and Safari alone.

So I went to check one out, and everything was awesome, except for one glaring thing: I couldn't get the phone to switch views when I turned it. No matter what app I was in, the phone wouldn't switch from vertical orientation view. On both display phones, I couldn't get it to work.

This disappointed me hugely, and I was hoping in was just the display units.

Is this the case, or was it user malfunction??

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
was the iPhone flat when you did that?

It has to be perpendicular to the ground...it uses gravity I am told.

There's a thread on this somewhere if you feel like searching for it.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
horizontalness only works in certian apps. photo, safari... thats pretty much it

this is true. if you're playing with all the apps, trying to switch to landscape and back, you'll find that hardly any of the apps do this. not sms, not notes, not ical. the only ones that do are safari, the photo app and the ipod.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
this is true. if you're playing with all the apps, trying to switch to landscape and back, you'll find that hardly any of the apps do this. not sms, not notes, not ical. the only ones that do are safari, the photo app and the ipod.

I should have been more clear. iPod was the main app I tried, to try coverflow, and I couldn't get it to rotate.

Same with Safari and the photos.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I had that issue as well, then I figured out I had to hold it a certain way to get it to go into landscape. You have to hold it so the screen is parallel to you and then turn it then you can bring it back up to see it. I found this weird that in normal use I couldn't just turn it and it would work. Each time I had to hold it in some awkward position and then turn it to get it to work.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
I should have been more clear. iPod was the main app I tried, to try coverflow, and I couldn't get it to rotate.

Same with Safari and the photos.

Sounds to me that the display unit was malfunctioning. Like the other post have mentioned, you have to hold it facing you, no more than 45 degrees (i would guess...) and rotate. It's very intuitive, I can't believe you couldn't get it to work... So, I think the unit was defective.

Go to another store and check it out. Remember, only Safari, ipod and the photo application does the switch.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
It needs to be at a right angle to the ground to turn properly.

If that is the case, and it is working, it will rotate 100% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.