iPhone ad rapped as 'misleading'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

2. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

im actually glad someone is doing something about this

my medical school website displays multimedia in flash format ( for privacy/legal reasons) so its not silly specifics for everyone

At the bottom of this dispute is a long lasting grudge between apple and adobe :(

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

How many phones can you currently purchase that support Flash? Not as many as you think.

It's not so much a grudge at this point but more Apple not wanting something that's always been relatively buggy and unstable as Flash on the iPhone. I shouldn't have to repair permissions with every Flash update on my Mac because it's a terrible but necessary add-on.

And it's not like a ruling against Apple in this will make them put Flash on the iPhone.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It isn't supposed to. It's to stop them making misleading claims in their adverts.

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you need flash that bad ( i couldn't careless). then use a real computer.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I know. But it seems that some people think it will.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't feel the lack of Flash is a deal-breaker for me, I've know all along that Flash was not possible at this time...:(

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

nitpickers. with nothing else better to do

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wat - show me a phone that has actual Flash on it, and then it might be worthwhile.

Read some of roughlydrafted on why Flash is god awful in the long run.

10. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

True. But how many phones made a big freaking deal that with them, you could use the "real Internet"?

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

well the other phone i was deciding on was the Nokia N95 which DOES support flash

btw ive never had problems running flash on my desktop or laptop ( windows xp) so i know its an apple issue and not specifically an iphone problem

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Can't be an apple issue cause I've had less problems (0) running Flash on my Mac than on my Windows computer (many).

13. macUser2007 macrumors 65816

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree with the ruling--the ads are misleading. The iphone is a great device and has plenty of other strengths Apple can promote but the internet in its "entirety"? Uh no, not yet.

In the U.S. the ads show almost instantaneous web page loading and *that* is certainly not true at all either.

15. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Or how fast the GPS gets your location, *that* certainly isn't true either unless you speed up the camera!!!!

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

everyone knew a long time ago that there was no flash.

stop bringing up like its something new. if you dont like it buy something else.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Who is everyone? You and I knew there was no flash but the general public doesn't since they don't all hang out here on the forums. This is about whether advertising is accurately portraying how the iphone works--and it doesn't.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

the internet is fine for me. i'm not missing out because theres no flash, none of the sites i frequent have flash and even if they do, it hasnt bothered me yet. if thats not the case for you, oh well. sucks for you. ive had very few problems with my phone and i'm happy with it.

19. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

and the internet on any other phone isnt even half as good as the iphone.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This isn't about you. Strain yourself a little and try to see an issue from someone else's perspective and not just your own.

For example, I don't care so much about flash either and I knew it wasn't included--because I frequent sites like this and read gizmodo.

However, the ads that are currently running do not portray how the iphone works accurately.

They don't mention there is not flash and some sites will be impaired.

They don't mention that a 3G iphone in an advertised 3G service area with "blazing speeds" may not work at all.

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And with Flash, many sites are useless ...

this isn't Apple having to say what the phone doesn't have, it's to make sure it's advertising correctly what it does do and have.

ASA is being a bit overly harsh. It's the price of not having Flash. It's a worthy stance. By java, do they mean javascript, or everything Java Sun related ?
    Heck, it doesn't do Silverlight or AIR either...

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Who said Flash is the real internet? I'd say in the non-desktop internet, no Flash is more useful.
    In the end Flash is a short cut quick fix, that's proprietary. I'd much prefer work on open standards, like Safari and Firefox for example working on getting HTML 5 working. RIA don't need Flash. What has it done lately?

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The point is going to be mute eventually anyway. A form of flash is coming to the iphone and adobe has announced its something they are working on. It's just Apple is scrambling with AT&T just to get the iphone to *connect* to 3G in some major markets. lol