iPhone advice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbfinch2, Dec 30, 2013.

1. rbfinch2 macrumors member

Okay, I have a couple of questions for you knowledgable apple experts. I want to upgrade my phone but I'm stuck on where I want to buy it.

I've always purchased through Verizon because I the insurance plan is built right into my Verizon bill.

Best Buy is selling their iPhone 5s for $124, a pretty good deal.
    Which service plan is better: Verizon, Geek Squad, or AppleCare+?
    Any advice?

Could I purchase the phone at Best Buy and buy the AppleCare? (If this is the best plan)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can buy an iPhone at Best Buy and get AppleCare+. I would avoid GeekSquad like the plague. Also, I would advice getting it Apple if possible or Verizon as a second choice. Yes Best Buy sounds like a good deal, but at a deal like that, seems like they'll try to sell you other things, like accessories or unneeded junk.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can't decide for you of course, but I can tell you two things about AC+.

First, AC+ is not insurance. It's an extended warranty. It means you're covered for defects and manufacturer issues for two years. But because it's an extended warranty, you are NOT covered for theft or loss. You may purchase AC+ at any time in the first 30 days I believe. But, if you do not buy it at purchase you will have to take the phone in to an Apple store so that it may be examined first. So, it's possible to have both insurance coverage AND AC+ at the same time.

Second, AC+ includes two instances of accidental damage handling (ADH). I believe the cost per instance is now $79, but it may be more. What this means is that if you drop your phone, get a big dent or damage it in any way, Apple will replace the phone for the price agreed on in the contract you sign for AC+.

After your second instance, you pay the full Out of Warranty price for any further damage, although you are still covered for defects under AC+.

Hopefully knowing this can help you make a more informed decision.

4. rbfinch2 thread starter macrumors member

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

LOL yup ! I went to BB and noticed they had written all these accessories on my paperwork, but never asked me. They did ask if I needed a case for my iPhone. I had already ordered a few online… But I think they were selling them for 20-30% off with a purchase of a new smartphone.

The deal is nice. An iPhone 16gb for less than $150. I bought a 5c 16GB for my parent for $1.05 (covers the tax). That's better than the 4s 8GB.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Even if they're discounting, I would avoid Best Buy if you can. The amount of work you have to go through to turn down their useless "protection" plans and accessory upsets just isn't worth the hassle and aggravation. It astounds me that Best Buy wonders why they're not doing so well, when it's clear the desperate pressure tactics during what should be a very straightforward sale makes it totally obvious.

As far as what plan to get: obviously retail store protection plans are to be avoided at all costs. AppleCare+ I highly recommend, even though it doesn't cover loss or theft. It does cover accidental damage though (with $79 deductible, 2 instances) and the major advantage is that you're dealing directly with Apple, and the replacement will be excellent quality and something they stand by.

If you are very much worried about theft or loss, check first to see if your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy will cover it (many of them will). If not, a carrier insurance plan is the easiest to get, but also very pricey. Shopping around might give you a better deal through third party companies. Protectyourbubble is an insurance company that advertises here on MR quite a bit. I can't vouch for them though as I've never used them.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Apple care doesn't cover loss or theft, Verizon might.

Verizon will replace with a refurb majority of the time. And it might not even be wiped from last customer. Plus rumor has it that those replacements are sans coverage by Apple so you are locked into insurance system. I would try to verify this.

Also Verizon, all carriers actually, often have to ship you the phone whereas Apple stores have them in stock.

Honestly it seems to me that Apple care plus homeowners/renters is the best bet

8. takeshi74, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Better is always highly subjective regardless of topic. Specify exactly what you mean by better. You can easily determine for yourself by comparing the plans. Details are posted on the respective sites so you can compare coverages and costs. If one option was universally best then we'd all use that option and you wouldn't have to ask.

Additionally, Verizon offers more than one coverage option and you haven't specified which one you're referring to.

Personally, I don't trust Asurion/Verizon or Best Buy so they're nonstarters for me. YMMV based on your own preferences and experience.

Don't overlook other options such as SquareTrade and other providers as well as "standard" insurance companies that offer such coverage. Also consider "none of the above" and relying on out of warranty service as an option. You have to make the call on what solution suits you best based on your budget, needs/wants, priorities, etc.

9. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Geek squad is crap. Applecare+ would be my choice. It's their own product so it would make sense if you used them.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

However, AppleCare+ is no insurance. Remember that.

11. TJ5921 macrumors regular

Couldn't disagree more with your assessment of Best Buy. About two weeks ago I went for this iPhone 5s upgrade deal with an iPhone 5 w/ Verizon grandfathered unlimited data. When the BB employee asked what internet plan I had I told him it was unlimited and that I understood because I was upgrading my phone for a discounted price I would be forced into a capped data plan. I told him I would take the smallest plan (2GB for $30).

In response to this he simply said "we're going to have a talk about that". When it came time to choose a data plan he told me Verizon gave them permission to offer a retention plan of 6GB for $30 for VZW customers with grandfathered unlimited data. He said this was supposed to only be for those who complained about losing their unlimited, but that he was going to offer it to everyone!

He worked as quickly as the system would allow and was very friendly. He asked if there was a protection plan or accessory I might like to add and I simply said no. He nodded and proceeded to process my purchase without any rebuttal or asking again. Excellent experience.

12. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPhone 5s from best buy then called Apple and got Applecare+ over the phone. They did some sort of remote diagnostic to make sure the phone was not already broken. AppleCare+ is great. If you break your phone or just want a new one due to cosmetic damage, they will express ship you a "new" one, then you send them your old one after, of course for $49 or $79, which ever plan you have. You can't beat Apple for customer service. I never trust retailer protection plans. I have been burned in the past.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, it's just great that you were able to take advantage of a Best Buy employee brazenly misusing a Verizon retention rate code (which will no doubt cause Verizon to tighten the reigns eventually). But I still feel that the OP is risking a lot of hassle. And the issue remains: the Geek Squad Protection plan isn't worth it.