iphone aint so hot after this review

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pr5owner, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pr5owner macrumors 65816

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/t...1182895716-7f7K2JmqQTyFeBItNN4dBg&oref=slogin

• No editor for Word
    • No editor for Excel
    • No editor for Power Point
    • No editor for PDF
    • No GPS
    • No GPS Support in google maps? (the article more or less implied it)
    • Rated battery life under-par (not a real surprise considering the MBPs rating)
    • No expandable memory (we knew this already, but if a chip goes bad, all your data is gone and you are screwed because you have to send it back to apple and you will have no phone)
    • No Instant messaging (at all)
    • No Voice dialing (even the 4 yr old nokia 3390 had this)
    • Cannot install 3rd party programs (you lose so much functionality if its locked down)
    • Browser cant do flash
    • Cant do Java Applets
    • No MMS (cant send rich emails to your friends phones since they don’t support it)
    • No Camera options for high speed shutter (all your photos will be blurry)
    • No LED light (night shots will be crap)
    • No video capture (kinda though that but this proves it, also means you cant receive 3gp files from your friends because the iPhone cant decode it, it can only do h264)
    • None replaceable battery (you will be screwed if you are in the middle of no where with a non replaceable battery)
    • No 3G or 3.5G radio at all, stuck with 2 generation old EDGE (2.75G)
    • Slow browser, apparently the safari browser requires additional time to load a page because it may need to process the page before displaying it. Most likely because of the zoom feature, opera mini needs to do this as well but not opera mobile. We don’t know what the CPU is in the iphone however other pda phones that do not process the page appear to be faster

EDIT: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/06/26/iphone-facts-from-the-first-reviews/

• No Copy and Paste (that really sucks for website addresses you want to send to people)
    • Loss of space (700 MB is almost 1G of space missing from 4 or 8, that’s ¼ space GONE)
    • No A2DP (what a waste of Bluetooth 2.0+EDR)
    • No personal RING TONE SUPPORT!!!! (the ones built in fracking BLOW in the demo, why cant you use your own itunes BOUGHT songs?)
    • Around 400 charges and the phone’s battery is poof, but you cannot replace it, you lose it for a couple days if not weeks to get it replaced costing you an arm and a leg with shipping parts and labor

2. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

This is weird.. Apple has NYT plastered all over their iPhone ads. It's funny how they would say "Most of the Hype;" I bet Apple is ticked..

But even weirder, the date is www.nytimes.com.com/2007/06/27...
    They wrote the review tomorrow.. :confused: :eek:

3. barbourdg macrumors member

Does Verizon pay you a big salary to post on this board :mad:

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The review is titled "iPhone matches most of its hype". David Pogue liked the iPhone overall...there's just some things missing.

I do feel that the lack of MMS is big...but video? come on. I've yet to see a phone that records video actually worth watching. I think we'll see a number of upgrades and changes via software as feedback flows in (Saturday :p)

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

• no life raft
    • no built in solar panel
    • no inflatable girlfriend
    • will NOT survive 10 story drop
    • no AI that surpasses human intellect
    • no all in one web design app
    • no video editing app
    • no 3d holographic projectors
    • no support for MS DOS
    • no pacman (yet)
    • no remote for your personal jet
    • no bit torrent client
    • no custom color cases
    • no auto thesis app
    • no time machine
    • will not allow covo's with ET
    • cannot track santa
    :rolleyes:

6. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I was actually rather upset that I can't track santa.

:rolleyes: :p

coolosxapps

Multimedia Messaging Service

coolosxapps

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Haha best post all day.:D

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I read the review, now where did you get the phone is next to featureless if your paying $600? I read that the reviewer quite liked the phone and thought that although it had some shortcomings it was a great phone overall.

9. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

So Santa IS real?? My parents lied to me once again. :p

10. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Actually the multi-touch screen has an extra built-in solar panel layer than charges the battery ;)

But you're right, I was so looking forward to the Santa GPS. WTF!

:p

11. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Did they also tell you he comes down the chimney every Christmas Eve and gains an excessive amount of weight from eating the enormous amount of cookies baked secretly by your parents?

I bet they didn't tell you that, either. :p

coolosxapps

12. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

CDMA providers are garbage as i have yet to see one leave phone functionality intact, they do this because its not like GSM where you can by a kick ass phone and throw the sim in, but anyways, im pointing out that cheaper phones have ALL the functionality the iphone doesnt, im stating that what is your $600 really goin into? it aint features and its not technology.

also looking the other way when a product doesnt do what 3 year old phones is called getting yourself ripped off.

yeah most being the key word, as in OVER HYPED.

also my phone does mp4 video recording at 640x480 or i can switch to mms video and do 3gp recording. my phone is also 1.5 yrs old, the iphone cant do video period.

he said he liked it because it was easy to use, not becuase of its feature set. so what your saying is you would pay $600 for an easy to use phone? phones that are $15 are easy to use too, you can only go 1 menu deep i the cheap motorolas and samsungs. the motofone is $50 unbranded unlocked, its easy to use as well.

the link was leaked actaully lol, its SUPPOSED to be published tomorrow

13. barbourdg macrumors member

:eek: :eek:

Couldn't you find a nice PC board to post on? You're obviously doing your best to talk crap on the iphone and probably anything mac related. Nothing you state, will have any impact on preventing people on this board from buying the iphone.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Java and Javascript are two separate and unrelated entities. And the iPhone does do javascript.

arn

15. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

ok want to tackle 2 points...

Java is not Javascript!
    iPhone supports javascript, but Java is crap. and why would you bank on your phone? when the only secure way to do it is at home, and then you just use a computer!

it is a PHONE! not a Cannon Rebel SLR! my current phone (bout 4 years old) doesn't have a camera at all! and ever picture I have seen from a camera is crap anyway!

edit: agh, arn you beat me to the javascript point!

16. scootermafia macrumors member

If Apple wanted to they could add many of those things with a software update. Lots of things are the way they are for a reason, or Apple needs more time. Even if it is missing a few features, there will be no phone more worth one's time than an iPhone. You could make a phone and intentionally put in every known feature, like the n95, but it still would be unpleasant to use.

17. uNext macrumors 6502

I have nothing but macs at home and a macpro at my office.
    FULL BLOWN MAC USER

but if you fail to see how crippled the iphone is compared t owhats out there....Then you are in denial and a victim of steves superhuman brainwashing powers.

By the way i love my blackberry curve no touchscreen? who cares i can do everything i need with it...

18. Sal510 macrumors member

Damn some of you guys are wierd dude i mean apple allows u to put movie and tv shows on your damn iPhone and you are complainin about NO VIDEO RECORDING why so it can be 175x128?

remember iphone has a firmwire remember the pearl couldnt record at first but after a firmwire update it could

most of the things you are complaing about sound like u need a computer not this phone

19. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Don't spread FUD bro ... you can in fact track santa using Safari!!

Serious though, best post here in a long time!! Very funny stuff, I was laughing very hard IRL.

20. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

yes sorry you are correct, Java Apps is not supported, (corrected)

however, im just saying Canon used kids and pets as the "high speed shutter" option to prevent blurring, most camera phones have this feature, including mine, i have high speed shutter as well as burst (5 picture ultra speed and continuous burst but at a slower interval)

no, all the points im saying is because im comparing it to exsiting or current phones, as well as phones that are 1-2 years old. all the phones im comparing it to are cheaper if not free, most even unlocked and unbrande without a contract.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Leaked? Good call buddy...it was on the nytimes front page:rolleyes:

I think apple left the video out because they didn't want a crappy feature...like I said, I have yet to see a phone record quality, watchable video.

I hope someone steals your bank info.

22. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

A) NOT leaked! NYTimes and many other newspapers commonly post articles that are ready for press the night before.

B) The article was very positive! If I've ever seen a spin before, your post is one. Some of the bullet points you mention aren't even mentioned in that article!

C) The iPhone runs on OS X, which means it has the ability to add functions through software updates, unlike many of the cell phones out there.

D) GOD! get over it! if you don't want it, don't buy it!

23. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

i was joking about the leaked info, who would leak a news article LMAO,

video a crappy feature? a feature that alot of people use? oh ok.. if video is a crappy feature on the phone then why not make it a quality feature like most other PDA phones. make the camera do 640x480x30FPS with a quality CCD sensor.

bank websites require a minimum 128bit encyption for the page to even load. you want to try cracking 128bit encryption before the timeout of the session?

24. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It's like, what's your objective?
    Convince millions of people not to do something?
    Why take it upon yourself to convince people that what they're doing is stupid?
    I mean, I'm doing it... but I'm only targeting one person. It's a lot easier!