iPhone Air?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trius, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I was just thinking.... Apple has dumped some serious money into iCloud, and I guarantee they have more surprises up their sleeves... With all of these rumors about "iPhone Nano" and then the rumor this morning about the phone being "lighter and thinner" (I know that's sort of a given, but just hear me out)... I have this theory that iPhone 5 will be "iPhone Air". Having limited on-board storage and looks to the cloud for all of its content.... A total iCloud based iPhone. Looking at where the MacBook line is going, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to take a similar approach with the iPhone. They would then sell two versions of the iPhone, making the 4 the more expensive version with on-board storage. One of the iPhone Air's selling points would be that it actually "streams" its content from iCloud... It just seems to me that this is where the tech is heading... thoughts?

2. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

With data limits and as long as reception in both 3g and wifi is not universal, no.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really see the point of this.

Let me ask you, but do you want to have to download your facebook app each time you want to see something or angry birds each time you want to play a game? Do you want to have to download any application each time you want to use it? :confused: The phone needs some onboard storage. Plus, as the person above mentioned, this really isn't possible with the unlimited data plans going away. (even if we still have them, you have to account for horrible signal, slow speeds, etc). Honestly this is the worst thing that can happen. It basically makes my phone a brick at school with no service.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't want all of my stuff to be on the cloud.

5. tigress666, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

How come so many people don't understand that icloud is a *synching* service, not a streaming service. You will still need that storage space and it would be really sucky for Apple to reduce storage space on a device. iCloud won't help you there.

Which means if you want to use something, it will be downloaded on your phone, you're not going to be able to use it up in the iCloud, it's not like Google's Chromebooks (you have to download it to use it). Which means you need storage space for it. Having no storage space on your phone means that you'd have to constantly download stuff to use it, then delete it. Really sux for games where it would constantly erase your game saves.

And personally, I'm fine with that. In fact, I'd be downright pissed if they made it like Google's Chromebooks, I don't want to have to connect to the cloud to use my stuff. I like it more like how apple is doing it where they just use it to keep all your devices in synch with each other.

Problems with streaming:
    1) I think some article pointed out with data plans going the way they are, it is cheaper just to spend money on having a good amount of storage space on your device than to pay for the data that you'd have to stream if you wanted to use most of your stuff on a cloud service. Plus people seem to think this will be cheaper for them cause then they won't have to spend money on the storage.

2) Not even counting the problem I just outlined with that thinking, do you really think that they will not charge for you to store your stuff on their servers (They're only giving you 5 GB free and there is mention of ability to pay for more storage). So, sorry, even streaming doesn't save you from paying for storage costs.

3) Streaming means that you'd have to have internet access to use your stuff. A synching service means that most of your stuff stays the same across devices, but if you don't have internet access (say you are on a train or out in the boonies), you still can use your data. Once you get back to having internet access, it will make sure your other devices are brought up to date on any changes done. To have to have internet access to use my stuff would piss me off. I thought we moved on from dummy terminals.

(Actually, I read an article that had a good point. Dummy terminals/using the cloud to stream your apps like in google's chromebooks, is actually a great thing for businesses cause then they get more control over what their employees can access but for personal stuff it sux).

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

This is ridiculous! onboard storage is required. If the next iPhone will be cloud based, we can as well have online processing.

And btw I don't want to have all my content on cloud.

8. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Yeah, give me unlimited and I dont mind.
    As long as tiered plans are alive, I refuse to go cloud based.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So... are you thinking iCloud = streaming like how Chromebooks are? If so, you don't mind having a useless device when you don't have internet access? Or possible lag if the internet connection gets slow or temporarily disconnects (maybe even losing your work if that happens).

Otherwise, if you do realize how iCloud works (in that you have to download stuff to your device to use it still), you don't mind having to download an app every time you want to use it (meaning you'll have to wait for it to download before you can use it). And then deleting it afterwards? And losing any stuff like game saves and stuff when you do so? Even without losing app data every time you delete, sounds like a huge PITA and a step backwards from what Apple's goals are (to sell devices that make things easier for people. Not more complicated and needing more management). Apple sells stuff by claiming you don't have to do much management so this would be a very un Apple move to reduce storage to insist people can just download things when they need it.

And note, both of those things I brought up aren't even addressing costs or limited or unlimited data. THey are problems with the idea of less storage space on the iphone not counting data availability/costs.

As for costs how Apple is implementing it now (taking for granted Apple isn't as stupid as some proposals I see here about how cloud will let them give us less storage), you can just download stuff when you have wifi. And it still makes it easier to keep your devices synched so that your data all stays the same.

Plus, can one of you who for some reason want apple to reduce the storage on the iphone tell me what the advantage of reducing storage is? Please? Cause I'm not even sure why you'd want that? What possible benefit could you have from having less storage space?

10. Trius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trius

Don't get me wrong, I understand the difference between syncing and streaming, and I am in no way saying that I WANT a totally cloud based iPhone. I am simply looking at where we are heading technologically. Like you said,

"Actually, I read an article that had a good point. Dummy terminals/using the cloud to stream your apps like in google's chromebooks, is actually a great thing for businesses cause then they get more control over what their employees can access but for personal stuff it sux"

Apple would love to have that kind of control over their devices. I don't honestly think it will happen this year, or next year even..
    Eventually, there will be internet access everywhere. Its only a matter of time. Also, its only a matter of time before the speeds are fast enough to where buffering would no longer be an issue...

11. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Cloud storage is by no means a replacement to physical storage. At least not now. Not many people have unlimited data, and we are just in transition towards the implementation of 4G networks across the globe.

While this might be an interesting idea for the foreseeable future, it's not practical with today's speeds and data charges. As it is, physical storage is much more practical.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I can see the logic you used to come to this conclusion, but honestly I cannot see apple doing this. Now is just not the time to go to all cloud storage. Especially as others have said with unlimited data plans going away and speeds sucking. Then comes the fact that (again, as others have said) that iCloud isn't a streaming service (unless you pay for it). But my contract ends in August. I'll wait a month to see what the next iPhone shapes up to be. If I like it, I'll get it. If I don't like it, the iPhone 4 will be cheaper for me to buy.

13. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

This is a serious question, not one designed to insult, or be critical.

Just how do you propose to keep your stuff from _not_ being carried up to the cloud unbeknownst to you, thanks to Apples new iOS / OS X integration and feature set in Lion?

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I just don't want to have to download/stream everything just to use it. Cloud could work out to be very useful.