iPhone: all quiet on the UK front??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danielforman, Oct 31, 2007.

1. danielforman macrumors regular

Well considering it is just over a week to launch the last few days it seems to have gone all quiet on all things UK iPhone. I have seen no ads for the iPhone yet. Granted some members have posted pics of some ads in the tube stations and displays being erected in O2 stores but that was a few days ago now and thats it.

I am all prepared for next friday. Got my PAC code, all my contacts put into Outlook, iTunes account setup and everything else.

O2 must be holding off until next week or the very end of this week to start running ads in the press and on TV. I was epxecting to hear more about the iPhone this week with a bit of info coming from Apple about the launch and maybe a bit of an update to the apple.com/uk/iphone page. The US page for iPhone had guides of the iPhone on a couple of weeks before it was launched over there if im right. But the UK page is still a bit bare.

I'm getting really excited about the launch now and it just seems to have died down a bit on the UK front.

Anyone in the UK seen much to do with iPhone lately??

2. marcol macrumors regular

Does seem strange that there have been no TV ads yet. If there's nothing in the ad breaks of Saturday's X Factor I'll be concluding that they've given up on the whole idea of launching in the UK :eek:

<Wishful thinking> Perhaps they're keeping quiet until the last minute because there will be a 16 GB version and they don't want kill sales in the US for more than a few days :)

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Or 3g ;);)

But i doubt it...

4. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

When walking through town today (Shrewsbury, Shropshire), I noticed that there was nothing in Carphone Warehouse. In the O2 store though, was a fold away table with a cloth advertising the iPhone and it's release date.

I'm not holding my breath for TV ads though.

EDIT: Just think how long it took for the UK to get the Get a Mac ads.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The underground round London at least has iPhone ads...

6. marcol macrumors regular

Perhaps it's just me, but I was expecting a bit more than a tablecloth in Shrewsbury :D

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I actually stood next to the iPhone add at Oxford Circus and sent an SMS/used the iPod function... a few people looked ;)

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

it's very quiet! does anyone apart from us iphone fans know the thing is coming out????????????
    hope not lol

9. marcol macrumors regular

That would be best, start the advertising push on Saturday the 10th :)

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I remember a while ago there being talk about O2 having a $40 million add campaign. .... i wonder where that money has gone to...

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

apple have never advertised that much in the UK as much as ive seen. But if theres less advertising, theres more for us to spend our hard earned moneys on..

12. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

In Central London we have the huge iPhone adverts you see before exiting Oxford Circus tube station.

Also the o2 stores have their iPhone displays almost ready to go (I think they'll wait till Nov 1st to roll their displays out properly).

13. danielforman thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah when the nano ads wer shown I only ever saw them on Channel 4 and the iMac ads I usually see on FX on Sky when I was watching Family Guy.

The only time I have seen the iPhone on UK TV is on the Gadget Show on Monday night just gone. I think and hope we will see a big ad campaign start probably this friday with it being a week before launch. This weeks Saturday papers will probably have some ads in as it is the biggest day for newspapers and will get to the most people then.

I am really looking forward to the launch. Roll on nov 9 only about 9 days now

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I think it's because one of two things...
    The iPhone will either sell itself really well, with little promotion, because its an Apple iPod-related product and people will just buy it thinking OMG WOWZXX LUK AT DIS!! Think of how many iPod commercials are actually on television, or how many iPod commercials there were on TV here when they were taking of with the 3rd gen. I don't recall seeing many (if any).

or

For the time being, the iPhone could be a niche market product over here. It's expensive, you have to pay for the phone and through the teeth for the contract. The people who will buy the phone, know about the phone already, if you get what I mean.

A million iPhones were sold in the US, in a very fast amount of time, but we've no idea how they're selling now, if that is levelling out or slowing down, so I guess time will tell. But 1million out of 301million is about one third of a percent of the population, now I've no idea of mobile phone market share in the US, but one third of a percent of all the people doesnt seem too high..

15. ibanana macrumors 6502

i'm really not looking forward to a massive advertisement campain since i don't want 10000people queuing on iday

16. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

i would rather it stayed with us(i mean apple fans)!
    i love having a mac and talking to people about it.
    in the last 2 days 2 people i know have bought macs and on my advice, i was very pleased to introduce them.
    apple that's one u owe me:apple:

17. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

im always shocked when i walk past an o2 shop .etc. and there is absolutely no hint of an iphone launch anywhere.

i suppose looking rationally/logically , the majority of consumers aren't really going to care. The iphone is more of a product you decide you are going to buy and seek it out, normally when entering into a contract you get the phone for free(ish) so its worth marketing them as its just on over the other. I suspect that the average consumer wouldn't even consider the £270 iphone over a different phone for free. This is probably the reason there isnt much advertising, the people who will buy one probably already know about it and will buy it/are saving for it.

hope that makes some sort of sense

18. danielforman thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think apple advertise the iPods so much as whenever a new iPod comes out you get people like Argos, Currys etc etc advertising them any way so Apple does not need to bother with advertising.

The iPhone though, with it being limited to O2, Apple and CPW stores some advertisement will be needed as there will be no one else to advertise it unlike the iPods.

The macs though I have never really seen many ads at all for them in the UK Press or on TV. In my last post i said I only see them on FX which is on Sky and is part of the Fox network which as well know is American.

Personally you never really here much about macs over here. The iPods are the big products for Apple in the UK i would expect.

19. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

i've seen the ads for the new imac a few times on the tv and every time i start dancing to the music it's a great little tune!!!!!
    i get excited watching it.
    very sad but true!!
    god knows what i'll do when i see the phone

20. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Then again, we don't see very many Nokia N95 Ads etc. We only ever really see Operator adverts, and the services they provide. Then you look at their website and go "oh, thats a nice phone".

21. danielforman thread starter macrumors regular

The music that apple use on their ads is brillaint I think. I got the iMac music, the iPod nano music and the iPhone music plus I got the new iPod Touch music today.

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

been reading some non apple sites, they really are giving the phone a slagging.
    looks like it's just us for next friday then:):)

23. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

The contracts are just too expensive for me.
    They claim it's a good deal because I get unlimited data transfer for a small amount, although I wouldn't use enough to warrant the amount being paid for the unlimited data in the first place.
    I can't see too many people outside of work getting one, to be honest.

24. ger-ethan macrumors newbie

Here in Germany it's the same. No tv ads and no ads on the streets. Even the Telekom shops have no banners like the o2 shops in UK, just little signs saying the iphone is coming November 9.

25. ascender macrumors 68000

I still think its a fairly niche product in a lot of ways. Lots of people won't have £269 to just buy a new phone. Its the month before Christmas so lots of people are being even more careful with their money. Many people won't be able to get out of their existing mobile phone contract. Many might be on PAYG at the moment and not want to or be able to afford the tariffs. Others will be happy with their own phones and iPods.

It will be really interesting to see how busy the stores are on launch, but I think this will be a steady seller over time as the above circumstances change and also as word of mouth spreads. I think the launch will be one for the Mac fans as much as anyone.