iphone and data plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fusion5ny, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fusion5ny macrumors newbie

i recently purchased a new iphone from ebay...but maybe this was a bad idea because from what i have recently heard from some people is that your carrier (mine being AT&T) is able to detect if u start using the iphone...and then they add the expensive iphone data plan to your account

i was wondering if there is a way to make your iphone undetectable by your carrier...u know, just like when u buy a unlocked smartphone and the carrier can't detect it and doesn't add the smartphone data plan

let's say i use ziPhone to change the IMEI number of the iphone to a fake IMEI that i make up, will this solve the problem? will changing the APN solve the problem?
    do i have to jailbreak, unlock, activate or deactivate the phone to solve the problem? do i have to reflash the phone to a custom firmware to solve the problem? or is there no possible way around this...any help will be appreciated, as i might have to consider returning the phone if i can't around paying the huge data plan fees

2. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

the iphone 4 has a smaller sim so if you want to switch sim better start checking there first

3. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

oh sorry i should have mentioned it's the iphone 3gs, not the iphone 4

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

They don't scan iPhone 2g. Other than that, your 3gs will be caught in due time by AT&T no matter what you do

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It really depends if they'll catch you or not.
    Just so you know, the data plan for the iPhone starts at $15 now.

6. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

even if flashing to an unlocked firmware or something of that nature? how would they find out if the phone is not registered with them?...i have been using an unlocked smartphone for the longest with them and they never know, i just use the non-smartphone unlimited data plan for a much lower price

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

They don't be able to check. My buddy bought a used 3G off his friend and used the phone the way it was without using data. (he blocked data in the settings) They haven't done anything so far and he's had it for about a year.

8. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

ok now we're getting somewhere...my problem with that is that not having data takes away like half of the iphone's worth...i need data...i'm trying to find out how to have the $15 unlimited plan over the $30 one, just like the one i have now with my smartphone...essentially, i'm trying to get to know how to prevent att from knowing i am using an iphone just like they are unable to know that i am using a smartphone

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's no easy way to hide your iPhone from AT&T. I'm not sure what phones you used to use, but once AT&T detects the IEMI of the phone, it will show up as an iPhone under your account, which is a smart phone. The $15 unlimited is for non smartphones. For smartphones, there is a $15 plan (200mb) or $25 plan (2gb). There is almost no way around using a non smartphone plan on an iPhone. You can't even use the iPhone 2G data plan (unlimited data for $20) on an iPhone that supports 3G.

10. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

ok but if u read my original post all the way through, u would have seen that there is a way to change the IMEI to any number and i was wondering if that works

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's a shady subject, that's why you're not getting any responses.

What you're trying to do is unethical at the least. Just buy a data plan or gtfo.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3G, 3GS and i4 the data plan is mandatory.
    You can't do anything to hide what phone you're using, they will eventually detect it. Unless you use a prepaid AT&T sim or unlock it and use it on Tmobile.
    There is no way to change the imei.
    Ziophone doesn't work for the 3GS and that program hasn't been updated for over 3 years, it only worked with early firmware versions of the iPhone 2G.

13. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

oh my fault i thought i was in the iphone hacks section, i didn't know i was in the iphone church section

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

MR doesn't allow piracy discussions either. It's got nothing to do with being in the 'iphone church section'.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You cannot change the IEMI. So, no, it will not work. Even if you could, its illegal.
    There's no need to be rude, just because you are wrong.

Just buy a data plan or return your phone. Those are your best options.

16. fusion5ny thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like u haven't done it before and don't know the correct answer...clearly it must accomplish something or else the function wouldn't exist....i had no idea i was being rude when the dude took the time out of his life to come to this post and tell me to gtfo

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The function does not exist. Not on iPhone 3G, 3GS, or 4.
    I haven't done it before, because it cant be done on my 3GS.
    Paying for a smartphone data plan is the only way to go.

18. APtalent macrumors regular

This is what an AT&T rep told me:

"The phone might or not get picked up. I've had customers with 3GS' with no data plan for a whole year and then get detected and some get picked up after 6 months. It's random."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.