iPhone and Data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazystar, Jul 18, 2010.

1. crazystar macrumors newbie

I bought used iphone(off eBay) and was using it under AT&T. I activated the data plan for 2 months(since I was going out of town). When I tried removing data plan, they said that iPhones or any smart phone should have a data plan. So I gave them a IMEI number from an old cellphone to replace the iPhone IMEI number, finally they removed the data plan. Now they warned that, if I use the iPhone again, the data plan will get automatically reactivated. Is this true? Just to be clear, I did not get the iPhone under AT&T contract.

2. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

UH yeah.
    you cant use an iphone on ATT without a data plan. Maybe if you jb or unlock it but dont know about that. It is very explicitly stated when you activate or buy an iphone. It MUST be used with a data plan.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's true.
    They did to my wife a few months back.
    I had bought a used 3G model and just stuck her razr sim in and turned off data on the iPhone. It lasted about 3 months and then one day she got a text that an iPhone data has been added to her plan.
    So they might not notice for a while but they eventually caught on.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You will always be caught. Sooner or later. The terms to use the iPhone on AT&T's network say they can add a data plan at anytime. Oh, by the way, those terms are accpeted as soon as you stick the SIM card in it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And with the option of $15 plans instead of the unlimited $30 it's not that bad IMO.

6. crazystar thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what i have been thinking...

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes that's what I changed hers to. I kept my unlimited though:)

8. crazystar thread starter macrumors newbie

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Before the iPhone 4 I found myself using over 3GB a month, now with the iPhone 4 I use less than 500 MB a month... those plans sound tempting, but I found out why the sudden usage change. I lost the hacked Benm file tethering after I sold the 3GS. Sneaky.