Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

105630-sams_club_logo.jpg

TheStreet reports that, during Wal-Mart's annual meeting this morning, executives announced that the retailer will begin carrying the iPhone and iPad in its Sam's Club warehouse club chain, marking yet another significant distribution point for Apple's mobile devices.
A timeframe was not provided for when the devices would hit the warehouse club. Sam's Club said it is attempting to increase the quality in its consumer electronic categories, as well as its fresh food and health and wellness divisions.
Sam's Club is membership-only warehouse chain of approximately 600 stores in the United States, competing against the likes of Costco and BJ's Wholesale Club. The three major warehouse clubs have long offered iPods in their stores at a slight discount from Apple's retail prices, but today's announcement marks the first time one of the chains has landed the iPhone and iPad. Pricing for the devices has yet to be announced.

The news comes just as Wal-Mart is rolling out sales of the iPad in many of its retail stores, following recent retail expansion to all Best Buy Stores, as well as Target and Amazon, as Apple's constrained supplies have begun to ease.

Article Link: iPhone and iPad Coming to Sam's Club

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
slow down there cowboy

next they will be selling them out of vending machines in laundromats.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
why not. it is a consumer electronic that is good to go out of the box before you get home.

sounds great!

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
This should satisfy all the Walmart & Target haters . . . by definition, Sam's Club is a Club. Members only. You have to PAY to get in. There you have it, your uppity Apple exclusivity remains in tact.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
slow down there cowboy

next they will be selling them out of vending machines in laundromats.
They do in airports.
This should satisfy all the Walmart & Target haters . . . by definition, Sam's Club is a Club. Members only. You have to PAY to get in. There you have it, your uppity Apple exclusivity remains in tact.
Do you have to be so whiny? Really? Why is it ok for people like you to hate others, but they can't dislike a store?

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
They do in airports.

Do you have to be so whiny? Really? Why is it ok for people like you to hate others, but they can't dislike a store?

What makes my comment-hate filled, but all the other comments about WalMart are only "dislike-filled?"

Somehow, I doubt those comments are aimed at the building. Ultimately, the company and the store are people. It seems the biggest distain is aimed at those customers who frequent WalMart. I am a WalMart customer, by the way. I am well-groomed, have a full time job and a masters degree, and drive a car kept in good repair. I have three Apple computers, an iphone, an ipad, and four ipods. (Yes I'm defensive).

Read the comments from yesterday's WalMart story. Then tell me which side of this discussion sounds whiny.

NT1440

Contributor
May 18, 2008
It's the same company as Walmart, why is this news/wasn't expected? :confused:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Aha! Yes! I can still feel superior to the "common people"!

Yeah, yesterday's thread got pretty silly at points.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
It's the same company as Walmart, why is this news/wasn't expected? :confused:

Because while Walmart has had the iPhone for some time, and not Sam's Club, both will now have the iPad and the iPhone with this announcement. This puts both on par with each other for the first time.

mgdominguez

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
This is... odd.

Here in Mexico Sam's Club began selling the iPad a couple weeks ago. They setup an Apple isle with all their products, except the iPhone. The price is the official one, no surprise there.

I haven't been to Costco lately, so I have no idea if they are selling it there, but it would be a real surprise since they only sells iPods.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
With the average price of an iPad around $700, Apple needs to sell a heck of a lot of them to make up for lost MacBook sales. It's only natural that they want to sell them in as many retail outlets as possible. And, most importantly, Apple needs to increase its market share if it wants its cloud computing offerings to be profitable.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
With the average price of an iPad around $700, Apple needs to sell a heck of a lot of them to make up for lost MacBook sales. It's only natural that they want to sell them in as many retail outlets as possible. And, most importantly, Apple needs to increase its market share if it wants its cloud computing offerings to be profitable.

Do you think a lot of people are buying iPads that would otherwise have bought MacBooks?

I would have thought that the iPad would replace a purchase of either an iPod/iPhone, or a PC netbook. It certainly did in my case (on both counts).

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Do you think a lot of people are buying iPads that would otherwise have bought MacBooks?

I would have thought that the iPad would replace a purchase of either an iPod/iPhone, or a PC netbook. It certainly did in my case (on both counts).

I have an almost 6 year old 12" PowerBook and a 2 year old Mac Mini. I really need a fairly large monitor at home for my genealogy stuff so I'll probably always have a desktop computer. However, I really like the portability of the iPad and have no real need for a full sized laptop.

My mom has a MacBook and while it's still going strong, all she uses it for is email and browsing the web. So when it's time to replace it, she'll be getting an iPad with a dock and a BT keyboard.

For a lot of people, laptops and desktops are simply overkill.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I can't wait to get all that expert advice from the Sam's Club staff. :D
As opposed to all that expert advice you get at Best Buy? Other then an apple store you shouldn't expect any kind of expert advice from any outlet selling these products. Even the advice at an apple store can be questionable.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I like it just for the fact that I could buy a cheaper extender warranty from them :) I believe they usually carry one version older than the actual one for the iPod's if I'm not mistaken, hope they don't do the same w/ the rest of the apple stuff.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Get on the bandwagon

Why don't bookstores and coffeehouses sell Apple equipment? Customers (and freeloaders) are already in there using the free wifi, so why not make some hardware sales along with magazines and lattes?

Go in for a Frappuccino, come out with an iPhone and a MacBook! :)

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The iPad coming soon to every store you shop at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.