Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the update with your 3.0 device?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkRyan323i

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Not sure if this is a bug or not. My iPod takes a little longer to start up and instead of the home screen it goes straight to the "lock" screen. Anyone else?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
My battery drained without me even using my iPod! :confused:

My iPod was connected to my laptop all day yesterday waiting for the update. I disconnected my iPod from my laptop last night and fooled around with it a bit before turning it off and going to bed. I turned it back on this morning and it's been in stand-by all day long. I've just gone to use it and it say my battery is at 20% and shuts itself off!

Anyone else had a similar issue?

I'm gonna reset it completely now and see if that helps matters.

stana2z

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
Oxnard, CA
Note Synching (iTunes or iPod/iPhone issue?)

I was actually just looking at your thread. This is the exact same issue I am having with syncing notes. With all these bugs, Apple will probably be releasing 3.0.1 in the next 48 hours.

I'm thinking there might need to be an update to iTunes, since it's the app doing the synching...

Bladehntr

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Darkryan
same for me. Touch takes longer to boot up, then starts with the lock screen instead of the home page. Any way to change that? Also, i noticed that the app store takes longer to load the pages.

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
My 2G touch now refuses to backup in iTunes. I have to cancel the backup process because it just hangs on 'Backing up iPod...". I have restored it but it's still doing the same thing.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
The fade effect when waking and and sleeping the iPod has been removed.

The text "Subscriptions" from the button on the YouTube application is too close to the "Most Viewed" text (if placed together).

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
15hrs after buying and installing 3.0 my Touch2 32gb is stuck with white screen. I don't understand why Apple/iTunes prevents you from downgrading firmware!!!! I took it to Apple store and they want $199 to replace it (mine has functioned for months with a small hairline fracture on the screen). What's the chance that if I wait til Touch3 is out they'd replace mine for the new one for $199?

dmb8021

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
ever since going to 3.0, I have been having so many problems downloading app updates on my ipod touch. I keep getting the message that I entered my iTunes password wrong and to enter it again. But i'm typing it correctly. When I sync to itunes, and try again, it works. But leave the wireless network and come back, the error happens again.

kh14

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
i also had that problem with voice memos. If you are useing the headphone mic then make sure it is in BEFORE you launch the voice memos app. It will not work if you put them in AFTER you launch the app. Just thought you guys should know:)

Also after i downloaded 3.0 i noticed in the app store that in place of the "Updates" section was the "More" section and i thought that was pretty cool because it gave me the ability to redeem a gift card on the app store through my ipod. Then i went some where and came back and open the app store again and the "More" section was gone! I did a little research and found that alot of people are having this problem. I even tried restoring my ipod and that didnt work. And currently there is no solution to this problem....THANKS APPLE!:mad:

Resplendent

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Also after i downloaded 3.0 i noticed in the app store that in place of the "Updates" section was the "More" section and i thought that was pretty cool because it gave me the ability to redeem a gift card on the app store through my ipod. Then i went some where and came back and open the app store again and the "More" section was gone! I did a little research and found that alot of people are having this problem. I even tried restoring my ipod and that didnt work. And currently there is no solution to this problem....THANKS APPLE!:mad:

Yep, that also happened with mine.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
my 1st gen Touch takes a little longer to get to the next song when I hit forward, I wish I never upgraded my 3.0. Anyone else having this issue?? I was never jailbroken, I just use it for music. And it just seems the iPod app is just slow with everything

3.0 on my iPhone works fine with music tho

should I just do another restore to 3.0??

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
15hrs after buying and installing 3.0 my Touch2 32gb is stuck with white screen. I don't understand why Apple/iTunes prevents you from downgrading firmware!!!! I took it to Apple store and they want $199 to replace it (mine has functioned for months with a small hairline fracture on the screen). What's the chance that if I wait til Touch3 is out they'd replace mine for the new one for $199?

Of course you can download your firmware if you want to!

Open up iTunes and on the main iPod screen hold down the Option key and click Restore. You should get an Open File dialog from which you can select the whatever version of the firmware you want to downgrade to.

iTunes should now extract your firmware and begin restoring your iPod, follow the on screen instructions and wait until your iPod is fully restored and shows back up in iTunes.

That said....have you tried to restore your iPod first?! I would suggest doing that first and see what happens.

To get your iPod off the white screen you can try holding down the home and power buttons into it reboots. If that fails you can put it into DFU mode and then you should be able to downgrade with iTunes.

To put it into DFU mode you need to do this....

Step 1. Turn off your iPod Touch.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
BillyBobBongo, thanks but I've already done those.
I shift-click (on pc) the restore button so I can select the 2.2.1 OS to downgrade to and I get some message about restore failing. When I click on "More Info" it takes me to this support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275
where it has the following note:

"Note: Error 1013 is caused by attempts to downgrade the iPhone or iPod touch's software. This can occur when you attempt to restore from an older .ipsw file. Downgrading to a previous version is not supported."

Each time I restore to OS 3.0 I get a garbled sound coming out the speaker and then the white screen. I can also restore the data backups and see my images via usb.

I guess I'm gonna save my $199 and wait 3 months for Touch3. :(

Worthy.Of.Ed

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I've paired with bluetooth in 3.0. It works fine for me. Good ol' internet tethering.

I think it was a different process than before. But it works just fine.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
No worries!

I've read that it's the latest version of iTunes that might be preventing you downgrading. If you downgrade to iTunes 7.5 you might be able to change the firmware. I've got to say it's shocking indeed that apple do not allow you to return to another firmware....what does it matter to them. You paid for the firmware you should be able to use whatever one you wish.

I've also read that once you're on 3.0 you're stuck....who knows what is true...it's early days.

Still, it can't hurt to try!

Also found this but it only works on the 2nd Gen iPod Touch.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
New issue:

I installed 3.0 (via Restore), and synched all my music. I then imported a new CD that I bought today, connected the iPod, and it didn't copy the new songs across. I selected the iPod under Devices and manually clicked the Sync button, and it proceeded to delete all of the music off my iPod.

I'm currently waiting for it all to copy back again. Hopefully this won't happen again! :eek:

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
For those that are first experiencing your touches being slow or sluggish, try restarting or rebooting your units. Has always worked even with past firmware restores. Mine, both 1G and 2G, seem to be back to normal.

And the fact that all my apps are available thru spotlight search is a big plus. Thanks :apple:.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
I'll agree bluetooth is poorly implemented so far, but it does work for stereo headphones. I'm not sure why anyone wants to pair it with a MBP or PC. Even if you could get file transfer working it would be far slower than just plugging in the cable.

The Samsung T10, P2, P3, and a few more, along with the iriver SPINN, Cowon S9, Insignia Pilot, a rare Sony and a Philips player do Bluetooth but most only do stereo headphone support with it. Apple is just barely catching up to the competition's feature list.

iTouch1987

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, now my iPod touch 2nd gen is incompatible with my iHome ip9 after upgrading to 3.0. soooooo pissed right now. WTF. can't control it, playlist feature of the alarm clock doesn't work. waste of 10 bucks so far.

lakeuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Yeah, now my iPod touch 2nd gen is incompatible with my iHome ip9 after upgrading to 3.0. soooooo pissed right now. WTF. can't control it, playlist feature of the alarm clock doesn't work. waste of 10 bucks so far.

Same here, I've got a AV cable that worked before but now I've upgraded to 3.0 I get a "This accessory is not supported by this ipod" message

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Questions About All Problems .....

Are all these problems being reported on iPhone 3.0 being seen on iPhones updated via iTunes Store and not some other site????

I only ask because I know some other sites claim to have the 3.0 firmware for download .... but how do we know it is the latest release from Apple and not some beta that was leaked and renamed????

I'll just spend the $9.95 and get it from Apple *IF* I decide to upgrade at all !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.