Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Wow - people can be pretty narrow-minded about the uses for a product.

Anyhew, for me, it would allow me to consider a touch for my work environment (after the SDK is out there, and I can get a few apps that are lacking official support right now) - on the go note taking, occasionally with my hands dirty to the point where I certainly wouldn't want to touch the physical surface of the touch... In fact, I was thinking about it just this morning, how I'd love to pick one of those up (come SDK time) but I wouldn't be able to use it at work because of the need to use your fingers (capacitive type touch screen).

And for the poster on the first page wondering why this was newsworthy, that's it - most styli don't work on capacitive screens - this is the first that I've been made aware of...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

interesting idea... But here in Florida, where there's no need for gloves, there's no need for a stylus

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I guess this could be useful in very cold countries like Russia, where you have gloves some of the day and can't operate the phone.

For anything other than that - complete waste. The touch screen is perfection.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
BULL-loney!

45 degrees in a nice breeze is plenty cold enough to warrant gloves and that's well within the acceptable iPhone temperature range. It's also a good time to pull out a phone and find out exactly where the hell that bus is that you're standing there waiting for.

And another thing... I'm sure the iPhone is plenty warm enough for many, many minutes after being in my pocket all day, very near my 98.6 degree crotch. A minute or two out in even sub-zero temperatures after that little warm up isn't going to hamper its functionality.

I won't be buying a stylus, but I do have to pull one thumb out of my gloves to operate the iPhone in colder weather, so I empathize with those who think a stylus might be handy.
"Bull-loney" YOURSELF....

If you need gloves on a 45º day you need to have your "Balls Card" revoked. You wouldn't last a single day where I live come February and it's -45ºF at 8am.... THEN and only then do you need gloves.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The iPhone/Touch screen is so accurate, a stylus is completely unnecessary. This thing is pointless, pointless, pointless. - No pun intended. :)

I have tried using the iPhone on websites with small select points for next page. I find that by using the side of my finger near the fingernail I can get a shockingly small select area "most of the time". If this device has a hemispherical selection tip it might make making such small selections more reliable. I bet it gets at least a 5% market share, especially among the fat fingered and the clumsy among us.

Rocketman

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I guess this is one of those "if you need it, buy it" product, it doesn't favor the majority but minority of people out there are after a product like this.

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
We are going to need two of these silly styluses to do any multitouch activity on the iPhone. In other words, one would have to know how to use chopsticks. That will just look weird.

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
I would assume that they did market research before investing money making this? :rolleyes:

Also, it does not look like it would actually stay on its holder moving out of your pocket.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Well, this may make text-messaging or typing an email a bit more palatable on the iPhone.

The biggest issue most reviews and users seem to have, is that you can't type very fast on the closely-spaced touch keyboard.

Apple has done nothing to fix this, like for instance allowing landscape (more widely spaced) keyboard view in Mail.

I never figured out why we can have landscape keyboard when we browse in Safari, but not while we write an email or a text message, when we actually have to do some more extensive typing.

So, for those who text or write a lot, this stylus may solve a real problem.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
narrow minded or ignorant I don't know which one fits it.
For disabled and amputee's this opens another phone/device up to them.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
I just pulled out my information guide that came with my iPhone and here is a direct quote.... "Operate iPhone in a place where the temperature is always between 0º and 35ºC (32º to 95ºF)."

That's must be why we don't have the iPhone in Canada. :) it is under 0 celsius (32 F) for about 4 months of the year where I live. And it's above 35 C (95F) for about 2 months of the year.

Apple must have decided that they shouldn't sell it to us if we can only use it half the year. :)

If that was true they wouldn't sell it to Northern states either.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
i want one! it would be good when you're wearing gloves.

Exactly. The only valid reason to have it IMO. Standing outside waiting for a bus/train - pull it out of the pocket without taking off gloves. Course, they need to make gloves to do this.

bentup

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
San Francisco
The biggest issue most reviews and users seem to have, is that you can't type very fast on the closely-spaced touch keyboard.[...]

So, for those who text or write a lot, this stylus may solve a real problem.

I think typing with a stylus would be much slower.

The iPhone is intelligent and can figure out a lot of your mistakes if you just power through and trust the system. For me, two thumb typing is a breeze. And i text/email A LOT. A stylus would seem too much like hunt-n-peck typing to me...

Practice makes perfect! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.