Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
B

bakerjam

Original poster
New to the forum, so I'm not quite sure if this thread belongs here or not.

What ever happened to releasing the Nike+ app for the iPhone? I'm sure a port over from the iPod Touch wouldn't be that difficult.

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I was told this past weekend at the apple store that its a hardware limitation. Whether thats true, who knows.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I was told this past weekend at the apple store that its a hardware limitation. Whether thats true, who knows.
You were told correctly. The current iPod Touches come with an Nike+ sensor built into the device, which receives the data transmitted from the chip placed in the shoe. For the time being, Apple has decided to not put the same chip into the iPhone and doesn't allow the user to connect the external chip to the iPhone via the dock connector.

Here's to hoping 3.0 will allow the dock connecter to work and the next version of the iPhone has a Nike+ chip built in.

Sep 13, 2008
I thought it was a hardware limitation too... the Nike+ chip isn't in the iPhone as far as I was aware.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Its a hardware limitation. I believe the Nike+ sensor transmits a signal via FM transmitter, of which the iPhone does not have.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Since Bluetooth is being enabled in the 2nd gen Touch with 3.0, can't we assume that Nike+ chip in there was really just a bluetooth chip?

I'm inclined to think that Nike+ support for iPhone is coming in 3.0.

Grimbo

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Since Bluetooth is being enabled in the 2nd gen Touch with 3.0, can't we assume that Nike+ chip in there was really just a bluetooth chip?

I'm inclined to think that Nike+ support for iPhone is coming in 3.0.

Do you know whether Bluetooth will allow you to send files peer to peer or not?

aslucher

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
You were told correctly. The current iPod Touches come with an Nike+ sensor built into the device, which receives the data transmitted from the chip placed in the shoe. For the time being, Apple has decided to not put the same chip into the iPhone and doesn't allow the user to connect the external chip to the iPhone via the dock connector.

Here's to hoping 3.0 will allow the dock connecter to work and the next version of the iPhone has a Nike+ chip built in.

not so much but almost there. the ipod touch doesnt have a nike chip inside it. it receives the data by an fm receiver built into the ipod.

and the iphone does have the chip as well: http://https://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/06/next-generation-iphone-to-possibly-offer-fm-radio-reception-and-transmission/

"But they neglected to mention that it also adds the ability to receive and send (the previous model could only receive)"

its in the same chip that receives and sends wi-fi data

if apple wanted to they could have let it happen awhile ago, not to mention they could have allowed the blue tooth receive the data on the phones part. the only thing i have come up with as to why apple has not brought it to the iphone yet is, i think here remember not fact, that they need to get some differences between the hardware on the consumer standpoint. basically they wanted to push the ipod touch market by giving it stuff that isnt available on similar hardware.

sounds about right: "Apple has certainly been known not to enable all features their hardware is capable of"

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Nike opted to have the device built with a solution that isn't built into everything instead of using bluetooth. I would assume this is because it costs money to license bluetooth and the profit margins on selling $15 shoes made by slave labor for $150 isn't quite good enough.

schultzy199

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
Do you know whether Bluetooth will allow you to send files peer to peer or not?

yes bluetooth will be available for p2p in the new OS for iPhone.
ive been wondering, do you think that they will release a nike+ chip for bluetooth???

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Actually there's a lot of partial truths here. The truth is that Apple wants the iPhone to be a "breakthrough communication device" and not a piece of workout equipment. If you bring your iPhone to the Apple Store because it's not working properly and your moisture sensors have been activated due to you using your iPhone at the gym and getting sweaty then you will be told that your warranty is invalidated and that the iPhone was not made for that, BUT Apple makes many perfectly designed iPods that can be used at the gym.

This isn't solely for marketing ( Though it is part of it ), but is mainly for what we like to call "Product diversification", which is where you have many products that are similar yet due to their differing features customers can justify purchasing all of them.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Actually there's a lot of partial truths here. The truth is that Apple wants the iPhone to be a "breakthrough communication device" and not a piece of workout equipment. If you bring your iPhone to the Apple Store because it's not working properly and your moisture sensors have been activated due to you using your iPhone at the gym and getting sweaty then you will be told that your warranty is invalidated and that the iPhone was not made for that, BUT Apple makes many perfectly designed iPods that can be used at the gym.

This isn't solely for marketing ( Though it is part of it ), but is mainly for what we like to call "Product diversification", which is where you have many products that are similar yet due to their differing features customers can justify purchasing all of them.

If that line of thinking is true, then you'd see GPS on the touch/mini.

To the OP - Wait. Nike knows the demand, as does several other companies. Few details about possible accessories off the back of opening up the dock connector and wireless connection are here yet.

xbuddycorex seems to be forgetting that Bluetooth would provide options in this scenario - that the iPhone could be kept on a ledge on the gym equipment, not strapped to an arm and so get less chance of sweat.

We'll see - but the GPS is a great assist in the sports apps (see RunKeeper's score in the recent Engadget poll, the Garmin 405 etc).

Apple wants the product line to be more than it was. Your iPod does music and video. Your iPhone does more than calls. Your Touch iPod does games etc. A "breakthrough communications device" should have breakthroughs in how to communicate with sensors - like a heart rate monitor, a foot pod etc ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally I don't miss it. When I run, I do so w/o my iPhone. the last thing I want is for it, is to fall. Likewise if I'm at the gym as opposed to running. It stays in the locker that way it won't fall or get all wet from my sweat.

I think the nano is better designed for this type of thing and its also a lot cheaper to replace in case I broke that while working out.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
If that line of thinking is true, then you'd see GPS on the touch/mini.

To the OP - Wait. Nike knows the demand, as does several other companies. Few details about possible accessories off the back of opening up the dock connector and wireless connection are here yet.

xbuddycorex seems to be forgetting that Bluetooth would provide options in this scenario - that the iPhone could be kept on a ledge on the gym equipment, not strapped to an arm and so get less chance of sweat.

We'll see - but the GPS is a great assist in the sports apps (see RunKeeper's score in the recent Engadget poll, the Garmin 405 etc).

Apple wants the product line to be more than it was. Your iPod does music and video. Your iPhone does more than calls. Your Touch iPod does games etc. A "breakthrough communications device" should have breakthroughs in how to communicate with sensors - like a heart rate monitor, a foot pod etc ;)

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here. Don't get me wrong, being able to connect to Nike+ via Bluetooth on the iPhone would be a handy function but... It's just not business wise. That is the ultimate direction, but to make one "does everything" product and charging a lot for it just isn't practical right now, we need to progress towards that.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Trust me, I know what I'm talking about here. Don't get me wrong, being able to connect to Nike+ via Bluetooth on the iPhone would be a handy function but... It's just not business wise. That is the ultimate direction, but to make one "does everything" product and charging a lot for it just isn't practical right now, we need to progress towards that.

Not business wise to whom? Apple is selling the iPhone on the slogan "there's an app for that". Nike doesn't need to make 1 does everything product. They could split the sensors into separate products and make a decent profit
HR monitor, pedometer/foot pod, GPS external dongle, cyclometer, and shoes/arm bands etc to accesorise these.

If Nike doesn't update Nike+ may the niche in the market will be taken up by someone else. I'm not sure if you're talking about the iPhone, or the Nike+ being a "does everything" product? We'll know soon enough, eh? For Apple's iPod touch now to have already included built-in Nike + iPod support - doesn't that say something?

They had it back in early 2006, had incorporated into the Touch by
and had the sensor & Sportband kit in early 2008. Then Nike+iPod for the Gym after that. A month after, the 2G Touch got built-in Nike+ capabilities in. Nike has got some of the big commercial equipment providers to ship enabled equipment.

I may very well be wrong xbuddycorex :)

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Not business wise to whom? Apple is selling the iPhone on the slogan "there's an app for that". Nike doesn't need to make 1 does everything product. They could split the sensors into separate products and make a decent profit
HR monitor, pedometer/foot pod, GPS external dongle, cyclometer, and shoes/arm bands etc to accesorise these.

If Nike doesn't update Nike+ may the niche in the market will be taken up by someone else. I'm not sure if you're talking about the iPhone, or the Nike+ being a "does everything" product? We'll know soon enough, eh? For Apple's iPod touch now to have already included built-in Nike + iPod support - doesn't that say something?

They had it back in early 2006, had incorporated into the Touch by
and had the sensor & Sportband kit in early 2008. Then Nike+iPod for the Gym after that. A month after, the 2G Touch got built-in Nike+ capabilities in. Nike has got some of the big commercial equipment providers to ship enabled equipment.

I may very well be wrong xbuddycorex :)

I was speaking of Apple and not Nike. What it comes down to is Apple is trying to make the iPhone "iPod enough" to get people to want it because of it's iPod-like features but make sure the iPhone and iPod touch have very unique exclusive features to make sure the iPhone doesn't completely replace the need for an iPod touch. I promise you that when it comes to the "mp3 player" function and usefulness you will always see the iPod line one step ahead of the iPhone.

The iPhone is not designed to be an mp3 player you use at the gym, ultimately that is the iPod shuffle. It would be nice to have Nike+, 32gb iPhone... But it would also be nice to see a microphone and wifi free GPSing on the iPod Touch, but these are a few features that you will see exclusively on their respective devices ... At least for now.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Nike+ iSpazio finds info in iTunes 8.2 :D

I was speaking of Apple and not Nike. What it comes down to is Apple is trying to make the iPhone "iPod enough" to get people to want it because of it's iPod-like features but make sure the iPhone and iPod touch have very unique exclusive features to make sure the iPhone doesn't completely replace the need for an iPod touch. I promise you that when it comes to the "mp3 player" function and usefulness you will always see the iPod line one step ahead of the iPhone.

The iPhone is not designed to be an mp3 player you use at the gym, ultimately that is the iPod shuffle. It would be nice to have Nike+, 32gb iPhone... But it would also be nice to see a microphone and wifi free GPSing on the iPod Touch, but these are a few features that you will see exclusively on their respective devices ... At least for now.

I agree, but it's a pity, as there's definite potential for a synergistic incerase in usefulness through the having the different hardware/software that is spread beween the Touch and the iPhone currently, being on both/at least one.
I agree that the Touch isn't just a non-phone version of the iPhone - and gets to be ahead of the iPhone - be it physical shape (updated to a slimmer form already), or other features (in built Nike+).
However - couldn't external acessories level that playing field? In effect allow a user to level up their hardware of their Touch or iPhone?

We'll likely see this in what gets to interact with external GPS dongles linked to SatNav /Map apps, and whether the iPhone gets to

EDIT - Well looke here!
http://uk.i4u.com/article24869.html

The team over at iSpazio have managed to stumble upon what looks like support for Nike+ on the iphone in iTunes 8.2.

Apparently an installation error resulted in them being able to set up a Nike+ account displaying the last and previous sessions history. Also a new menu option entitled "Sensor" is also revealed which may mean you can connect to other external sensors by selecting them from the dropdown menu. It's thought that all developers with iTunes 8.2 can enable this feature by simply changing some plist files, however this work is ongoing and not recommended to the novice users out there.

Attachments

• immagine-201[1].png
    immagine-201[1].png
    626.3 KB · Views: 410

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
iSpazio calling it an Exclusive (their forum user Sfreddo Marco getting credit), so maybe why we're only just get confirmations of previous rumors from last year:

Precising TUAW article:

Back in April last year, there were multiple reports about Apple bringing Nike system to the iPhone, Touch.
Stuff reported that Nike+ could in the future use wifi to send telemetry from a sensor directly to Nike's site/database. couple that with a coaching system, a way to show, log schedule sports - big win for Nike.

AppleInsider from April 2008:

The Nike+ Sport Kit from 2006 was originally exclusively for the iPod nano.
Stuff .tv got word because Mark Wilson had a tour of Nike's Beaverton, Oregon-based HQ.

The first piece of news is that Nike+ will definitely be extending its compatibility beyond the iPod Nano to the iPhone and iPod Touch

No surprise there really, but the interesting detail is that it could also make use of both devices Wi-Fi (and, ultimately for the iPhone, 3G capability) to let you update your training log on the fly.

So instead of syncing your nano to your iTunes to sync your dataset, youcould do that wirelessly. With a tab in iTunes, that's decent integration?

Nike+'s Coach feature was launched back in 2008 - Simulating a personal trainer in a way - you can schedule training and use pre-made programmes (5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon) reports the AppleInsider article.

Maybe they got over their previous lawsuit 1 year ago? That patent spat was about performance footwear. But what if Nike didn't use footwear?

AppleInsider in the same article linked to a March article, saying that Apple was "developing its own full-fledged digital lifestyle fitness companion that's far more functional and feature-rich than the Nike+ offerings."

It's a hefty read - as it covers a series of patents that Apple has for this idea. Interestingly, the patent pictures show what would be iTunes as the base for the data -

Creating a digital fitness companion system around iPhone/Touch players.

That iTunes like software application could v. well *be* iTunes.
The hardware HR monitor
Possible physiological sensors
A database like Nike+ has, to monitor progress to date, and link to other users, male vs female challenges etc

By doing through iTunes, they get Mac and Windows users. The patent saw theuser going through an "interview"
  • a series of questions similar to a gym induction
  • fitness goals
  • desired activity level
  • fitness interests (e.g. running, swimming)
  • fitness goals (weight loss, toning, cardio, muscle gain etc)
  • weight goals
  • desired workout schedule etc

By incorporating questions on health history (the standard disclaimers at a gym (previous ailments/medical conditions that could affect using the system e.g. asthma, joint/muscle/bone pain/injury, diabetes etc), medication, family history of cardiac probs etc

The article talks about another section for this "lifestyle companion" being non-health related topics,
  • spirituality/religion
  • identity (e.g., sense of belonging),
  • relationships
  • career
  • financial condition
  • hobbies, interests (which sounds like a profile info for a forum)

(Generally this section of q is interesting, as this is great data that usually gets missed - it could show links between mood, and events going on in your life)

Maybe they'll have dropped this part of the patent if they're bringing this to market. The interview information would be used to create a profile of the user and generate a workout based on their answers. Seeing the sports apps out their with video clips for exercises, app log books, 100 situp like systems, it might catch on.

Each session's information, as theuser does their cardio on the ergo, 20 minutes on the treadmill etc could be synced later to iTunes, or now with wifi - sync wirelessly. This would give instant feedback to the user - which is helful for those trying to keep at it losing weight for example.

In another patent, Apple suggested "a number of hardware-based companion products consisting of sensors for real-time feedback, in addition to raising the possibility that future iPhones and iPod touch's would include their own assortment of built-in sensors."

From a headset with "integrated physiological sensors" to a sling, (HR monitor stylee?), which could sling "secure a portable electronic device to a user's body or clothing,"

"In one embodiment, an electronic device of the present invention can accept data from multiple sensors, including one or more sensors that track a user's movements."

This is the device every gym has wanted imho. Nike has a calorie equivalent currency afaik. Remember the rumor about Nike interface icons from a few days back?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
i really hope nike+ comes to the iphone next month. i mean, it should have already been on the iphone, but better late than never

Not listed on the recent Wired rumor article. Hope we'll see this, but this might be casting further down the line - we'll see - there's been a number of unpublished features and capabilities that we've yet to have verified or not happen.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
As mentioned above, maybe this is the FM transmitter, as that is what is in the iPod Touch. So I'd say there is a pretty good chance of me now running with my iPhone.

Aye - looks good to go. If wireless you could easily sling in a waterproof bag ito a camelbak or decent running backpack and have no worrries about it.
Wonder who else has been mulling over creating an accessory/app early enough to launch soon after WWDC!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.