iPhone and the Gym

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newConvert, Apr 16, 2009.

1. newConvert macrumors regular

Just wondering how many of you use your iphone to workout at the gym? Do you find it too bulky when doing weights/cardio? I have a nano and find it works well, but will be getting the new iphone. What I cant decide is if I should get a shuffle for the gym, or just use the iphone for it all...

comments? Thanks.

2. LewisNYC macrumors member

I would be petrified to bring my iPhone onto the workout floor! Risk of damage from impact, sweat, etc. But I'm paranoid like that.

It's the shuffle for me - totally does the trick.

Best,
    Lewis

3. firewood macrumors 604

I know a few people who have iPhones, but who prefer to take a Nano to the gym. Less worrisome if dropped, and easier to put in a mostly sealed case where it can't get wet from sweat, void your warranty and die.

ymmv

4. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! The only other complication is I was planning on using a gym log to log all my workouts, and I like having my log with me while I workout... seems like it'd be stupid to have two ipods with me, but the iphone seems like it'd be a bit bulky to have on the arm (even those my guns are massive :D lol).

Oh well, got a couple of months to figure it out I suppose!

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I use my iPhone at the gym. I mostly do cardio though, so I either place my phone in the drink holder or hold it in my hand. I don't sweat that much so I don't worty about the water sensors. I used to have a Nano I brought but I don't update my Nano as much as my iPhone so I sold it and just stuck strictly to the iPhone.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I agree with the others here. As much as I wanted to take my 3G to the gym, for ease of use, etc. I ended up just taking my shuffle. $49, and if I drop it, no biggie...but the 3G? OUCH....Hate to see that hit the concrete and shatter....

7. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado

I use my iPhone every day at the gym. I used to bring my iPod, but then I missed having my phone and other amenities with me, such as the internet and mail. Also, I like to use Pandora on my iPhone which i cannot do on my iPod.

8. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

I use my iPhone daily at the gym! Listen to music, take a call and then back to the music and never miss a beat! and show my buddies the naked pics of girls from the nights before ;) then back to the music!

9. ronm3xico macrumors member

I take my 3G to the gym and have dropped it once or twice. No biggie, leave it in my pocket, sometimes it even gets under a weight I place on my leg and nothing happens, have a case for a reason.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Every once in a while I'll use my phone at the gym.

But I feel like I should just buy a Nano and get on with it. There's just too many "what ifs" with having the iPhone on the workout floor - not least of which is the douchbag-getting-a-call-and-talking factor.

11. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I have mine in a leather sleeve type case and I stick that in my workout pants's side pocket while I'm weight training...

Cheers.

-J.-

12. boleiro macrumors newbie

I use my iphone at the gym and have had no problems. I was going to use it till I got a nano, but the iphone has been no problem so I haven't really felt any urgency to get the nano. I put it in airplane mode so I don't get calls. When doing cardio, I put it in the little compartment or drink holder and when I am doing weights I just put it in my pocket. Unless you're wearing some tight shorts, its no worries. Once I start running outdoors when the weather starts to warm up, I will probably feel the bulk of it and will most likely get the nano. But, if you are going to be exclusively in the gym, you shouldn't have any worries.

13. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

I use my iPhone at the GYM and I dont have any problems...I clip it to my shorts and it doesn't bother me at all.

14. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

If I clipped my touch to my shorts, it would pull my pants down!

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

i put mine in a belkin armband - easy access and no danger to sweat/drop damage!

16. philgilder macrumors 68000

17. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I use an old iPod mini (no nano) because the thing is built like a tank and easy and cheap to fix - all things which the iPhone isn't really. The main problem people seem to write about on here though is getting sweat in the headphone jack and tripping the sensor.

18. newConvert thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. It annoys me when people talk on the phone at the gym. Not entirely sure why...

19. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I upload new tunes for the gym at home on my iphone.....get in the car plug in my iphone and listen to music......get to the gym and listen to music on my iphone....it goes on and on and on haha.....BUT i really want the new shuffle for the gym...with the better headphones...

20. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I was too afraid to exercise with mine, so I bought a 3rd gen iPod Shuffle.

21. diemos macrumors 6502

I don't use my iphone in the gym cuz i got with friends, but if i would, i would probably find it to bulky.

22. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I have always used my iPhone at the gym. That was one of the main reasons I got it to replace my iPod. Just keep it in your shorts pockets or buy an armband, there's nothing to worry about.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

probably because it takes you 'out of the zone' ha i hate that so much. especially when they are actually annoying

24. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

i use mine every time im at the gym, no problems