iphone and tomtom

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinnyemmery, Jun 13, 2008.

1. vinnyemmery macrumors member

i was really glad to hear that tomtom have developed an app for the iphone.BUT is it true that apple may not allow this as to certain rules about turn by turn navigation as ive been using a n73 with tomtom mobile and very happy with it now i have my iphone and n73 to carry around ,if tomtom wont be allowed to produce an app i will def not be upgrading due to only minimilistic hardware upgrades , does anyone else think that the iphone wouid be a dealbreaker for many without this feature?. also wouid be cool if they used the newest 930t sort of navigation display eg iq routes etc

2. bavarian3 macrumors member

Now I know why new posts get buried so quickly...

It has been discussed. It has not been proven, like most things.

3. ripkord macrumors 6502

4. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Cut him some slack, it's OK to discuss again. There may be some new perspective.

I'm hoping Garmin also releases a software update to make use of the GPS chip. I have a Nuvi.

5. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I was going to buy a new TomTom but am now holding out for the new iPhone.... to see if some company would make software that would make the purchase of a new nav system unnecessary.

6. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I think Tomtom showcased its software running on the iPhone to put pressure on Apple to allow its use.
    I won't bother upgrading if Tomtom (or similar) software is not going to be available.

7. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

APPLE BETTER FRICKING ALLOW TOM TOM/GARMIN APPS!!!

They'd better put out a press release right now about it!!

no MMS and cut/paste is one thing but releasing a GPS enabled device and not allowing GPS apps is another...

8. ripkord macrumors 6502

relax its google maps that doesnt allow turn by turn nav - not apple!

why else would they put GPS in there?

cant really argue its so you can find local amenites as you can do that from the mast info.

9. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

What would Google have to do with stopping it? Does Google now own Apple, or did they sign an agreement that was going to stop all other Map Applications?
    From what I understand, Google just supplies the back end map mechanics while Apple wrote the front end UI.

10. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Relax All,
    I just read that a Tom Tom big wig has said that they indeed do have their software running on an Iphone and the Apple rule thing they will get around and they will offer the app on the Apple Iphone App store !!!!!!!!!

11. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Do you possibly have a link on that article?

Tnx

12. vinnyemmery thread starter macrumors member

lets hope the speaker in the new iphone is better than the first gen ,you'd need to hold it to your ear to hear the bloody thing

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That's an interesting subquestion. I would think that Google wrote the UI. Google Maps was available for other phones before the iPhone came along. Even the later Locate Me came to other phones first.

14. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

This statement was made by Steve Jobs in an interview. He was talking about how Google provides a great back end and that is what they're good at, and how Apple wrote the UI (front end) and how good Apple is at the UI end. Remember, Apple is the only one that had all the items for putting together a Software Program before releasing the SDK. Apple didn't want anyone else with that info until they figured out a way to make money from it. Once they figured out they could make money from the App Store, only then did they release the tools for developing Apps.

15. nep61 macrumors 6502

I think that ONE thing that might interfere with Apple & TomTom/Garmin playing nice together is that Apple has a deal with GOOGLE MAPS. There might be issues related to software that restricts map usage... TomTom & Garmin have there own Map software.

I have a Treo650 which I bought TomTom GPS Software for... I'll still carry that phone if the iPhone3G doesn't have software as good as that on it.

16. zildjianfan macrumors regular

17. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

It'd be a bummer...Google maps only works when you have a cell connection. It's just not reliable enough for good sat nav directions. They might as well have not bothered putting it in if they weren't planning to allow 3rd parts companies like Tom Tom or Garmin get their apps on board...

Still I suppose we did get a scientific calculator :rolleyes:

18. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

"View turn-by-turn directions or watch your progress with live GPS tracking."
    This is the quote from Apple's website. I note the 'View' and not 'Get' or other verbage that would indicate that it will give 'Audible' directions. The 'Audible' would be a must as it is hard to always look at the 'Map' while driving. We'll just have to wait and see.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There is no navigation. It's just Google Map directions.

You have to learn how to read Apple statements.

In this case, they mean exactly what they say: You can view the routing directions that Google Maps returns. Or you can watch your progress on the overhead map.

20. vinnyemmery thread starter macrumors member

looks like apple may not allow tomtom to sell its application ,for me as the lack of new features on the 3g iphone to really sell itself to me anyway not having gps for driving navigation is the nail in the coffin why have a really capable piece of hardware and not utilize it ?.As far as im concerned no upgrade to 3g for me,the new features which are very few of (people might say they will bring out mms as an app WHAT and PAY for something a £30 phone already has, it dont warrent renewing a 18mth contract,
    my opinion anyway

21. vinnyemmery thread starter macrumors member

if apple and tomtom got together and supplied tomtom on the iphone ,it wouid probobly wipe out both of their rivals in the garmin nuvifone

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Two bits of critical info:

1) TomTom says their developers just played around with porting its software to the iPhone, and thought it could be done. This is not the same as actually doing it for sale.

2) TomTom just bought TeleAtlas, the provider of Google's Mobile maps.

23. vinnyemmery thread starter macrumors member

several articles ive read ,refers that tomtom have had the software running very well on iphone since the sdk and they were only waiting about some legal apple wrangle

24. plokiju macrumors newbie

I am hoping to get an iPhone and not pay for 3g sevice, only basic phone featues. If i am able to do this, TomTom would be very impotant because the Google maps app is equied for GPS functions and it needs 3G to load. If TomTom does make one like is speculated, then it could have maps pre-loaded on