iPhone and XBMC

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by msmith2112, Jul 5, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I was just encountering this issue with a web page (I'm familiar with HTML but just now learning CSS.)

I think I got it to work by having the relative element first in the HTML, then display the absolute element second. You may have to re-jigger your page layout, but it's the only way I got it to work. I don't believe there's a way to force it otherwise (I read in a book that z-index only applies to absolutely positioned elements, that's why setting your absolute element to z-postion of 1000 has no effect.)

You can take a look at my mockup at www.madmaxmedia.com/julie (don't laugh, it's raw mockup with placeholders, etc.) The style sheet is at www.madmaxmedia.com/julie/styles.css. I had to try a bunch of different things because I was trying to slightly overlap a bubble graphic over a set of photos, but the photos differ in size and shape, as well as positioning on the page (plus ensure multiple browser compatibility and multiple browser window sizes), but I didn't want individually position each photo. In any case, the bubble graphic is defined in the stylesheet as an absolute element, and the photo is a relative element.

2. niska macrumors newbie

I would be very happy if the bugs were fixed. And I really hope that you find someone that can help you with development. This webapp has a great potential!

I'm not a coder, but maby I can make a donation?

3. niska macrumors newbie

Any news on this project? I've check for updates in subversion repository every week, but so far - no updates at all. Will there be any updates in the future? :)

4. TREX6662k5 macrumors newbie

Quite cool, I was hoping to port my PSP script to the iPhone, looks like a different route was taken.
    Any plans to develop this in to a native application?

5. niska macrumors newbie

That would be nice. But right now it seems noone is developing anything :(

6. dedzombie macrumors newbie

If this could be made into a native app it would be insane!! Please continue!

7. kaidomac macrumors member

The "native app" plans depend on how the SDK is implemented. We already have some great material thought up...

[​IMG]

No promises :D Maybe cheesy will chime in...

8. TREX6662k5 macrumors newbie

Well Lua has been recently ported to the iPhone.
    That makes it incredibly easy to create a script for this situation if lua has access to functions such has its wifi.

9. cheesy macrumors member

Sorry I haven't been too active on this project. I'm currently working on much bigger things and thus don't have time to devote to this project.

As always, it's open source, so anyone should feel free to modify it, and if you email me I'll merge it back into the main version.

-tom

10. s4v4g3 macrumors newbie

I'm not intending to hijack this thread, but since a native iphone/ipod touch XBMC controller was mentioned, I thought you might be interested to know that I've been working on such a project. You can check out the project page at http://code.google.com/p/iphone-xbmc-controller/

Of course, I'm using an unsanctioned iPhone SDK, and documentation is scarce. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get enough features implemented to make it useful for other people.

11. niska macrumors newbie

12. jagaskywalker macrumors newbie

Great interface !

Using a normal PDA or a mac/pc with a browser there is no way to activate the transport controls.... (I still do not have an iPhone or iPod Touch...:-( )

Would it be possible to add a way to show them in non-landscape mode ?

With OSX XBMC now supporting the web server this is going to be really useful.

Thanks !!

13. trapper macrumors newbie

It’s a real pity to see such a cool project grind to a halt so early in development. :(

s4v4g3, where are you? what happened??

14. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

15. trapper macrumors newbie

I have been learning to code for the iphone over the last month or so, got a little project I want to make. But when thats done I will have a crack either at finishing this xbox controller or starting my own from scratch. So there is some hope lol

16. s4v4g3 macrumors newbie

I'm still around, and I've made some progress. Music-related features are almost complete, just need volume control and track forward/back/start/stop controls.

17. s4v4g3 macrumors newbie

I've released version 0.2 of the (native) iphone/ipod touch XBMC controller. It has some very useful features, but it isn't complete, and there are several bugs/issues.

I've created an Installer.app repository for it so you don't have to use sftp to download it to the phone/ipod.

Add the following source to Installer.app:
    http://iphone-xbmc-controller.googlecode.com/files/repo-current.xml

I have tested this only with my iPod Touch, firmware 1.1.2; I have no idea if it will work with newer firmware.

18. Warpdrv macrumors member

Is this an over the network tool? Or IR......?

My equipment is all out of room in the basement...

Awesome, work.... Icons look amazing...

Just caught my eye - Newbie wit da first Iphone... :apple:

19. bourneite macrumors newbie

Getting this onto my iPhone

This App sounds brillant, however, I don't know how to install it on my iPhone.

I don't believe I can use the installer.app as I don't have a 'Mac'. My iPhone is Jailbroken I so just need to know how to get this app onto the iPhone from an XP PC.

I've followed the '5-step guide' in following link to enable me to open my iPhone up to third party apps. However the sentence "The former will let you transfer applications from your desktop system and the latter is necessary for proper operation of OpenSSH and some other applications." confuses me.

If this means you can ftp app over, what is the Username, Password and Port required (I've already got the IP address from my iPhne's WiFi setting).

Any help is much appreciated

20. bourneite macrumors newbie

21. bourneite macrumors newbie

Black Screen

Right I've ftp'd this App onto my iPhone - directory; /Applications/XBMCControl.app/

I've re-started on iPhone, the XBMCControl icon appears on the screen, yet when I launch it I put get a black screen for about 1minutes before it crashes.

I've got firmware version 1.1.4. (I noticed you said only tested on one verison of the firmware).

Any ideas, as I'm quite excited about this

22. yannyb macrumors newbie

I've been popping into your google code page every so often in the hope that you were still working on this so I'm excited to see you're making progress again!

I've got a 3G phone on 2.0 so if you are able to make changes to support this version of OS I'd be more than happy to help test the app (which is looking great!) If I still had my 2G phone I would have helped with the current version but I've punted that on to my brother.

I've not jailbreak'd my 3G yet, thought I'd wait on the newer version of winpwn to get its bugs ironed out and then give it a go but once that is done I'm more than happy to help.

Re putting this on the appstore, do you think apple will let you put an app for using with a modded piece of hardware on there?

Keep up the good work! :D

23. s4v4g3 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the problem in your case is that the application does not have the "execute permission" set on it. There are two ways to fix this.

1) Since you obviously have OpenSSH installed on the phone (you were able to ftp to it), you can use Putty to open a terminal to the phone, in much the same way you connected using Winscp. Then you'll change to the /Applications/XBMCControl.app directory and set the execute bit with the commands
    Code:
    cd /Applications/XBMCControl.app
    chmod 755 XBMCControl
    I think this also requires the BSD Subsystem to be installed, but I'm not 100% sure.

2) The easier way: I think you misunderstood about Installer.app. This is the "Installer" that is on most jailbroken iPhones. All you really need to do is go to the "sources" page of the installer from within your phone and add the repository in my post above, and the XBMC Control application will be an available app in the multimedia section.

Edited to add: I've heard reports that this app does work in firmware 1.1.4, so I'm pretty sure the execute bit is the only barrier

24. s4v4g3 macrumors newbie

yannyb, I've been giving some updates on the 2.0 FW status on the following thread in the XBMC forum
    http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31157

The short news is that since I don't have a mac (Linux/Windows user here :( ), I can't get access to the 2.0 SDK so I can't even build the app for this firmware.

25. mappyman macrumors regular

It's a damn shame. I got a 3G phone with 2.0 and jailbroken waiting for an app like this.

So close yet so far...