Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
"The iPhone IS a telephony hardware device and service (with the appropriate $600 US price) that uses WiFi, but is intended for use in the home... It is integrated with an iChat-like functionality, but is a subsitiute for Vonage and other VOIP solutions...
You will be able to mount the phone and videoscreen on a wall or remove the handset for use elsewhere in the house (or when calling people that don't yet have video functionality) Consider this: What product would nearly everyone want, for which the technology is available, but not yet implemented? The video phone concept has been out there for years, but hasn't been brought to market for consumers until now. The United States has recently passed the 50% mark for users on broadband."

Very interesting idea Fluidinclusion! Most home phones are basically garbage, in my experience... It really might be a major new market for a very high quality feature-filled phone with video/iChat/iCal/iPhoto (Front Row?) capabilities. Might also be an easier technical nut to crack than getting into the cell phone biz. Afterall, Apple has a lot of experience in designing and building short distance wireless devices (Airport.)

except that the cell phone market is exponentially larger, and who on earth would buy a $600 wall phone??? well, I guess we'll know tomorrw.

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
The only thing that may happen tomorrow -- if anything -- is that Apple will make an announcement to stop these stupid rumors!

THERE IS NO IPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it is you people who are creating a bubble in AAPL stock, and it is you who will cause the pending crash!

shadowsintherai

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
Anyone notice...

...that when you type in a search for iphone on google, as of 28 minutes ago, it now directs you to "eworld.com" which then directs you to "apple.com"...?

Methinks we have a name for our new mobile device, or carrier???

-Sean

shadowsintherai

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
That's actually what I meant...sorry. It's staying "eworld.com", and that was ONLY as of midnight tonight. NEVER happened before that.

Gizmodo has also just released details that iPhone is a VOIP phone made by Cisco...

Do we have a Helio killer coming in eWorld...?

-S

peeInMyPantz

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006
by the way... that also means that iPhone release on Monday, is not an Apple rumour, so it still doesn't add to Brian Lam's record of apple rumours reliability. Even though I do not believe him in the first place.. hearing that iphone is released but by cisco only makes me hate him.. haha.. i wonder why

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
I said folks were getting suckered in by Gizmodo.

:rolleyes:
I saw Brian's remark as a smug slap in the face to the endless and typically ridiculous iPhone rumors, knowing there was a pending non-Apple iPhone product announcement today. And obviously that would provoke more ludicrous speculations. BWOT.

Spanna

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Shane Warne promo's ipod. Iphone?

I don't know if anyone else noticed but after Australia won the Ashes, (beeting England and reseting the natural order of the universe) channel 9 showed some live footage of the Australian cicket team in the dresser room, where Shane Warne kept flaunting a 5g ipod in front of the camera. He seemed insistent to get the ipod on camera, could this mean he has a promo deal with Apple, and if so imagine Shane Warne as an Aussie iphone spokesman flaunting the iphones video messaging capabiliites.:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
NEWTON anyone? If there is any name more mythical then the iphone this is it and Apple owns this one good or bad. I think this name would have a chance against the CrackBerry or Treo anyday.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
The iPod with phone capabilities will debut at SF - the 'true' phone iPod will follow at some unspecified future date after the 'true' Video iPod has arrived (remember that one?).:)

BuzWeaver

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2006
Atlanta, GA USA
Irvine (CA) - Linksys today launched a new phone that many expected to be announced by Apple in early January: A device with the name iPhone will be available from wireless equipment maker Linksys in the first quarter of next year.

But besides the name, there is little the Linksys device has in common with what we expected the iPhone to be. Instead of a cellphone with iPod functionality, the iPhone WIP320 is a Wi-Fi Skype phone that appears to be a clone to already released models from Netgear and Belkin. It comes preloaded with a Skype client and does not need a computer to be running in order to be able to make Skype or phone calls. According to Linksys, the WIP320 is compatible with Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g networks and has an indoor range of about 75 m (230 ft).

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/18/linksys_iphone/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.