Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
First of all, he really doesn't say which Monday. I guess we can assume the next Monday after posting, but really, I doubt it's enough of a loophole to keep their credibility intact should nothing appear.

Secondly, the "It isn't what I expected at all." makes me a bit worried. Maybe I'm just reading into it, but I sense disappointment. I really hope that isn't it. :confused:

leorou

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2006
Announcement people!

It's an announcement people, not a release, of course Apple won't be releasing nothing before Xmas. I bet this must be due the increasing rumors.

And Brian, i hope you're right, if not, i will hunt you down and put an entire shoe store up your ***. lol

Please God, let the iPhone be an awesome piece of work, not a software or an add-on.

Cheers!

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
The monday before Xmas??? When you could just wait for MWSF?

I say no. Still, I wonder.

Defensive move, maybe? I mean, maybe apple wants to supress sales of possible competitors. Maybe the phone won't actually be out until next year, but Apple wants to *announce* it now, so that people will keep their cash and hold out for an iPhone.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Not a chance. First and foremost, this is Jobs' pet project. He's not going to release it or even announce that it exists without some major fanfare. There's not enough time to get people together. And then there's the whole monday thing. What's the most significant thing Apple has ever done on a monday? Bump some specs? I don't see them changing anything in their lineup until after the first of the year.

I'm calling bull on this one. The iPhone will be landing at Macworld, no sooner, no later.

He could announce it on Oprah or something and go well past all fanboy sites.

THEN have press conferences AFTER the release.

Rocketman

davebarnes

macrumors member
May 2, 2005
Denver, CO USA
If this is true it makes good sense. Apple has stated they will release products "as available" rather than when a scheduled news event is expected. They have been sticking to that.

Further, pre-Christmas makes much more sense than post-Christmas

Actually, I think that pre-Macworld makes sense. If the emphasis at Macworld (January 2007, San Francisco) is to be on the new TV product, then announcing the iPhone now makes a great deal of sense. Otherwise, half the focus of the reporters at Macworld will be "where's the iPhone" instead of on what Apple wants to showcase.

,dave

averyash

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
I think this announcement makes a little more sense than some are giving credit for.

While I would be extremely surprised to see Apple release the full fledged iPhone (a term which recent buzz has had Apple looking to gain the rights too here and here back in October). However, the "Answering" option added to iChat would have to get you thinking. What logic would be behind Apple announcing a product like this so close to Christmas?

Here's a scenario that makes a lot of sense to me.

-Monday (the Monday announcement is an interesting twist, but read on) Apple announces the launch of the "iPhone." This will be a bluetooth enabled voip phone, form factor to be seen. This will essentially be a cordless phone working over the iChat network. A program exclusive to Macs.

-The Monday announcement date the week before Christmas makes a good deal of sense. A common misconception is that the busiest time of the shopping season takes place right after Christmas. While it is true that there is a ton of TRAFFIC in stores for Black Friday weekend, the sales are not tops for the holiday season. Looking back from 2002-1993 (if anyone has data from 2003-2005, please link to) the top shopping day took place December 18th at the very earliest. Furthermore, if you look at lists for the top ten shopping days for any given year, 7 or 8 of the top sales days take place on or after the 18th of December. A December 18th product announcement, while fairly unprecedented, would still leave a majority of the top ten shopping days for the holiday season in play.

-The goal of this announcement would not be to sell the iPhone product, but to create a huge product buzz for Apple right before an extremely busy shopping period. Announcing a product such as this that only works on a Mac creates greater incentive, in addition to hype, for consumers to go out and purchase one as a Christmas present.

-The Bluetooth iPhone would cannibalize a negligible portion of iPod sales. Apple is far to smart to release a product that eats into its own market at such an important shopping junction. Hence the iPhone, which would have none of the same features as the traditional iPod. What I expect we would find out at MWSF is that (surprise) the announced iPhone is actually a stripped down version of the iTunes Mobile, which one would imagine is the cellphone/ipod/iphone combination that has been rumored for some time.

I can just see the next Get a Mac Ad… Apple answers a phone, PC guy looks outdated and drab, you get the picture…

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I agree with all the previous posts regarding this being unlikely to be rolled out without Steve's Mac & pony show! Seriously, how often does Steve get to be on stage and wow the masses with one more insanely great product? There is no way that Steve is going to let this one roll out of the barn without a full parade and at least 30 minutes of stage time. I'm just thinking back five years ago to the original iPod roll out... Mmmm, good times!!! :D

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Defensive move, maybe? I mean, maybe apple wants to supress sales of possible competitors. Maybe the phone won't actually be out until next year, but Apple wants to *announce* it now, so that people will keep their cash and hold out for an iPhone.

This might be a good reason but I still don't think it is enough to explain why not announce it at MCSW instead. Besides, what does "announce" exactly mean? just saying "we will release an iPhone in January"?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
2.) Why confuse customers in the last week of the holiday season?

I was just thinking about this notion the other day: Why does Apple introduce new stuff in January? The answer is simple and insanely great (my SJ phrase of the day...)

Here goes:

By having a stable product mix through the 4th calendar quarter, people who are requesting certain gifts and those shopping for these gifts have a nice stable product offering to choose from. There is no, "Jimmy asked for an X but now there is a Y out there, what should I get him.... Oh heck, I dunno and I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I'm going to just get him a nice sweater instead." And bing - Apple looses the sale.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

Horrid on so many levels. First off in no way, shape, or form do I want a screen that big on my phone. No only does it suck battery life down faster but it will have a higher tenancy to get scratched, scuffed, and outright broken when in the pocket. Secondly a touch screen in the cold? Do you know what happens to an LCD when you get into the teens or below? The refresh sucks. The larger the screen the suckier it gets.
As for the UI. In NO way shape or form should OS X's UI be transfered to any other platform be it tablet or smartphone. OS X was designed for the destkop not a phone. This is something that MS has slowly learned over the course of its grand PDA experiment. Prior to 2000 the Palm Sized PC tried to stuff Windows into a PDA sized device. It failed because Windows does not work well from a UI standpoint on such a small screen. With the introduction of the Pocket PC MS redesigned the UI to take this into consideration. Their smartphone \ PDA phone variant of Windows Mobile "generally" does further cleanup of the OS for a phone.
If Apple is going to release a smarphone they dang well better do the OS from scratch.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Whahaha, dumbest rumor yet about this iPhone. A week before Christmas, and Apple is going rock the boat with one of the most-hyped products of their company history? (iPhone rumors date before even the iPod release, correct?)

This is a Macworld release. End of story. We basically had an "early" iTV release to give space and attention to the phone in January.

MacSamurai

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
Umm people since when does announced mean released?It just means that apple will be telling people it exists but in no way means that it will be available anytime soon...move on please :p

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
They do have to submit specs to the FCC, right? So maybe they will announce it the same day to keep the buzz going.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I would say if anything is released this Monday it would be the iTV. But under a new name, or perhaps the new name would be released along with new information on it, but simply shipping soon.

I would love to see an iPhone, it's start to sound so likely, yet likely way out of my price range (A computer?) but those prices don't include the $100-$200 you can get from wireless carriers towards a phone.

I don't see them announcing and shipping the same day with the iPhone. If they did announce it, it would almost be a poor move, because look at how much hype it's built already, without a word coming out of Cupertino... What if they simply said something at MW like "We'll have some new products for you you guys have been itching for for a long time coming very soon." Can you imagine the explosion of posts happening here about the iPhone? Then maybe some silhouette ads with a bluetooth headset or something. "Coming soon"

They'll want to take this full head of steam further, I'm thinking...

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Timing

The timing may also coincide with a major magazine cover- Time, etc. So MWSF or not, it will make a big splash in the press.

MWSF is not really necessary to announce consumer devices like an iPhone, as it will be all over the place anyways. But MWSF is a great place to collectively announce a lot of new Mac stuff, because MWSF is a press-worthy in itself.

They tend to introduce stuff at MWSF anyway because everyone expects big announcements at the show. But they could introduce a new iPod in a Walmart in South Dakota, and it would be on every evening news show in the country anyways.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
lol, maybe it is a voice recoreder built in to osx.... you know an "i" phone :p

or better yet it is an "eye" phone, like a ichat adapter for the ipood

aside: the worst 300th post ever :(

miket2006

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2006

Attachments

• RVqBi79ekWnJVLPiT8KhxwIbDjoH.jpg
    RVqBi79ekWnJVLPiT8KhxwIbDjoH.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 918

jmbear

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Mexico
Silly Gizmondo

It´s probably some stupid prank...

And I agree with most people, Steve wouldn´t introduce such a big product without all his circus...

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.