Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?

• Total voters

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I'll buy it new and factory unlocked. And if there's something I don't like about it, I'll go with a 4S. I have a 3GS now, so the next iPhone will be a nice step up.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
No way.

Had enough of my 4S. It looks nice and when jailbroken it's good, but I'm going to move to a Samsung Galaxy S3 or a new Windows Phone around the end of the year.

Libitina

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
UK
I currently have an iPhone 4. I might upgrade to a sixth gen iPhone at the end of the year if it's worth it.

This. Was all set to get the 4s but it wasn't enough of an improvement to justify the cost. Either way, will need a new phone by the end of the year I think as my ip4 battery is getting a bit ropey now.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Got my 4S on Release day and very happy with it, my son also got the 4S didn't feel like waiting.

My wife is holding out for the 5, but I am not sure it will be that spectacular, but who knows. We will see, as I still have another line eligible to upgrade

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
I can upgrade now and my contract is up in June, so I am planning on buying the next iPhone whenever it comes, though it will be nice to have no contract for a little bit.

jcb10

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Will upgrade

I'm curious what percentage of iPhone users (any model) are planning on buying the next product (be it iPhone 5, iPhone HD, etc, whatever they call it). I'm interested to see what the percentage of loyal customers seems to be who are interested in buying it before they even release photos or specs of it. :)

I am still on my iPhone 3G, running 3.1.something. It's got a few broken pixels but it still works well for what I use it for: phone, text, e-mail, Twitter and maps. The only thing I feel I would want from later OSs or iPhones are background audio on radio apps (i.e. multi-tasking) and the MLB app. So I've no need to upgrade immediately.

But, when the iPhone 5 comes out, my phone will be four years old -- long enough, I figure. So I plan to upgrade -- if only to use the MLB app next season.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
My wife's phone is due for an upgrade. She has the 4, I have the 4S. I will upgrade her phone, but I am not sure who will actually get the new phone. Probably her this time.

MacGeekAZ

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2011
That's my plan. I got the Verizon iPhone 4 when it first came out, so I'm eligible for an upgrade this fall, when most of us expect the next iPhone to be released. I only have 16GB on this phone, and I'm planning to upgrade to 32GB with the new phone. I hope to sell this one to cover the cost of the new one, unless my husband decides he wants it!

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 4. The main upgrade I'd like is faster web browsing with Verizon. A bigger screen, if it can be accomplished without making the phone too much bigger, would be wonderful.

MacGeekAZ

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have a 4 and skipped the 4S, so YES I will be getting the 5 pre order.

The only thing that would stop me is if the screen is the same size.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
How do you know those people are switching to the iPhone because of the screensize and not despite the screensize? The iPhone arguably has the best experience and ecosystem compared to every other smartphone; those benefits might be enough for some people to justify switching. It's very possible that even more would switch to the iPhone if it had a bigger screen.

There's a reason why more and more manufacturers are switching to 4"+ screens. It's obviously generating sales. If it wasn't, Android's adoption rate wouldn't be growing faster than iOS's

They are switching for the whole package. That being said, Android does suit many people well.

The truth about the 4.3"+ screens is A) to just be different from the iPhone, and B) to hide that massive battery needed for 4G LTE.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They are switching for the whole package. That being said, Android does suit many people well.

The truth about the 4.3"+ screens is A) to just be different from the iPhone, and B) to hide that massive battery needed for 4G LTE.

I disagree with the "truth". If it was true a 4.3" screen was hide the battery then there wouldnt be 4" LTE devices. Like the Droid 4, Samsung strat, and I think there is a few LG phones.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I disagree with the "truth". If it was true a 4.3" screen was hide the battery then there wouldnt be 4" LTE devices. Like the Droid 4, Samsung strat, and I think there is a few LG phones.

Those are both keyboarded devices, so they have more thickness to hide it.

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
No to the iPhone 5.

But I just may pick up another iPhone 4S for backup when the price of the 64GB drops to $99. :D

AndroidTriumph

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I'm curious what percentage of iPhone users (any model) are planning on buying the next product (be it iPhone 5, iPhone HD, etc, whatever they call it). I'm interested to see what the percentage of loyal customers seems to be who are interested in buying it before they even release photos or specs of it. :)

It all depends if it has a larger screen (3.5 is small no matter what the fanboys say) and a fresh iOS update.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Unless they decide to up the upgrade date for some reason, i have to wait till June 2013 for a contract upgrade. At that point if Apple truly is on an october release timeline, i will hold out for the next few months and get iPhone 2 phones from now.

It will most likely be another bump of whatever comes out this year like the 4s was to the 4. But i think i've kind of gotten myself on that timeline as i had the 3GS, and now the 4s.

ANinjaPeanut

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 that's doing just fine. If the next iPhone isn't 4+", I'm done with iPhones. I doubt I even wait that long with the great HTC Ones coming out. Those are starting to make the iPhone look very dated indeed. I hope Apple's designers are paying attention this time.

Absolutely 100% this.
Times are changing and Apple designers & Apple as a company should be paying attention to this; the general consensus on the internet (from polls I've seen) is that 4"+ is a much better screen size than 3.5"
Most of the people that say "3.5" is perfect" are just apologists, if Apple had started with a 2" screen they'd argue that that was perfect as well.

Personally, I'll be waiting until the keynote to decide if I upgrade to the iPhone or to a different device, LTE only as an upgrade is a no-go for me as I'm in the UK. However, a redesign with a bigger screen? I'd consider it then.

NiftyMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
BOSTON, MA
Me and my Wife was talking about this the other night. I told her if the next iPhone doesn't go up in screen size at least .5, redesign and a decent spec bump I'm not purchasing the next iPhone. Don't get me wrong the iPhone does everything I need and more, but its time for a change, give it to us Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.