iPhone AppleCare on Ebay....?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fab5freddy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Is it safe to buy AppleCare for your iPhone on Ebay ?

I know you can save a bit of money that way.....

2. MiamiBourne macrumors regular

How much is it on Ebay? I think with anything you have to be careful of what you buy on Ebay. I've bought many things and the only thing that dissappointed me was something I spent $7 for.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No more risk than any other eBay purchase. Please note that if you live in NC or FL, don't buy on eBay, Amazon or other online reseller or anywhere but in your state and from Apple.

Dave

4. djjclark macrumors regular

Definitely a strange thing how you can get it for about half off. One reseller has over 5000 feedbacks and they are almost all for applecare purchases and are 99.9% positive. You would think maybe a few fell off some truck but not 5000.

5. reallybigafro macrumors member

Ebay

I have been doing this debate myself. I'm looking at picking up applecare for my brand new iphone, and macbook. The only reason why I haven't pulled the trigger is because of my fear of never purchasing anything on ebay!!

6. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I got my macbook apple care on ebay and had no problem whatsoever.

7. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

this is weird that nobody knows if it actually is Legit.......

8. Shawn D macrumors regular

If there was any thing illegal ebay would pull the auction no doubt. ;)

9. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Maybe I'm just dumb, but whats wrong with buying online if you live in NC or FL?

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Buying it off eBay should be safe. You don't even have to wait for shipping cause they email you the code. If it don't work, dispute it with eBay. Is that so hard?

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Good grief. I've bought well over one thousand items on eBay, from printer ink to smartphones to HDTVs to SUVs. It's the first place I go when I want something.

I can think of only once or twice that I got something that wasn't as good as the description, and perhaps once that I got something that didn't work at all.

I have no problem ordering things from HongKong over eBay.

Just get a Paypal account. Buy from people with lots of good feedback. Easy.

12. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Ebay is now officially walmart of internet retail. I miss the good ole days when you could actually buy something from someone instead of these little companies that have saturated the bay and dictate pricing.

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Last week I bought AppleCare for two MacBook Pro's and a MacBook Air on eBay for significantly less than half price and all registered online with Apple without any hitches whatsoever.

The seller I used has over 8000 feedback:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/memorymate/

14. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I got my MBP Applecare for 50% off ($175) when CompUSA went out of business, NICE!!!!

I don't see a point in getting Applecare for the iphone. You automatically get one year and new iphones come out every year. I didn't have my 1st gen for a year and I doubt I'll have the 3G a year either. July we will see a new model and I'll be buying that one.

My opinion of course :D

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Hmmm

Just been looking at this listing on eBay. The guy on there states that Applecare only covers the United States... I thought Applecare was worldwide (or was I thinking wrongly?)

16. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

You must buy Applecare where you live (you have to register AC with your home address). You can't buy Applecare in the states and use it in India for example.

17. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Meh... need one for the UK.

18. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

If you plan on keeping the device for over a year, than it's worth it, but expensive. I find no point in AC for the iphone. They will be coming out every year with new ones, so what's the point? You are covered the 1st year.

19. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Of all the phones i've previously owned, i've kept for 2+ years. I don't change my phone, and considering im tied in to an 18 month contract with this iPhone - I assure you, this won't be leaving anytime soon :D

20. nconnella macrumors regular

Applecare of ebay is awesome. I bought my macbook pro applecare off ebay for almost half price, i was emailed the applecare number almost immediatly. No need to wait for anything to be mailed. the seller had over 1000 100% positive feedback so I felt safe. As long as they have A LOT of really good feedback I'd say it's safe.

21. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Im from the UK and i have to say i had no idea AppleCare for iPhone existed and I'm surprised there is a point to it!

O2 offer us insurance for £7.50 a month (cheaper to buy a new one!) but I find it quite odd doing a one off payment for insurance... Does it cover as much as mobile insurance? Does AT&T offer their own insurance?

Craaaazy! lol

I do have to agree with some of the above comments though.

Apple will aim to bring out a new iPhone at least every 18 months... Why? Because people will upgrade adding an extra 18 months to their contracts, it's flawless in many ways. Unlike a normal contract where you choose a new phone and term of contract this way you get a new shinny iPod, a phone and it has that brand thing going for it.

What I'm trying to say is that the AppleCare for iPhone is technically a 6 month warranty, if that!

22. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

The only reason why I was interested in this because Applecare (2 years) is showing up for only £32 on eBay... which is quite a bargain IMO (considering 02 charge £7.50 a month).

Shame, its only for US customers.

23. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Sorry for posting on a five month old thread but I thought it'd be better to post here then starting a new thread. I was thinking about getting applecare for the iPhone 3G in india and was thinking of buying it from some eBay seller as the prices are low. But I can't understand why it won't work with an iPhone outside of US. I had no trouble when I bought applecare for my MB from Canada, while the MB was bought in US and registered to my home address in INDIA. So why would it be different in iPhones case? Some one please confirm this.

24. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

Apple care is not insurance, it will not cover damaged or lost phone.

25. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000