iPhone AppleCare question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shstiger2009, Mar 14, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if buying AppleCare as my iPhone 4 warranty is nearing it's end is worth it. My questions are basically this:

1. If I buy AppleCare for my iPhone 4 and I want to sell it when the next iPhone comes out in a few months, will I be able to get a prorated refund towards AppleCare for my new iPhone? If not, I guess I'll get more money for the phone anyway since it will have an additional 2 years of warranty, but I'd be really happy if it could just be prorated.

2. If the new iPhone is a small upgrade (which it probably won't be with 4G starting to evolve) and I decide to keep it, I'm covered for a replacement phone whether it's refurbished or new. If this is the case, I'd assume my AppleCare warranty would automatically be transferred to the refurbished/new iPhone. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

1) I'm pretty sure you can request a prorated refund.
    2) Yes, the warranty will just move over.

I think you should just skip the warranty though. In my experience, these things are fairly reliable if you don't damage it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you sell your phone with applecare you usually can make more money that way then if you get a prorated refund on the warranty. That is phones with applecare sell for more then ones without

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Since you change phones so quickly Applecare will never be used. What's the point? Skip it. :apple:

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Dont bother spending the money if you're going to get a new phone after a year. Spending the money and then not using it and trying to get a partial refund is a waste.

6. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

But at the same time, a warranty is a warranty. If I don't upgrade until a month after the release of the next phone and within that month I drop it or break it, I'm screwed. But based on other comments saying the warranty will just move over from one phone to another or I can get a prorated refund/transfer it, I'm definitely getting AppleCare. Thanks.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AppleCare doesn't cover it if you drop it or break it.
    Hope you knew that but it's just a manufacturers defects. Not user damage, liquid damage etc.
    Also AppleCare does not transfer to the new phone.
    Only transfers to a refurb of the same model if you get it replaced from Apple for defects.

8. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i knew that. But if you drop it with a case and the insides fail, they take care of it for you. And I know about AppleCare, I was just wondering if they could prorate it for you towards a new phone if you're entire coverage hadn't been used and you switch to a new phone.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, I see what you're saying.
    If there's no physical damage on the phone but something goes wrong or breaks and doesnt function then they would replace it.
    But they wont transfer Applecare from one device to a new one.
    You can find out more details here:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/AppleCare_Protection_Plan_for_iPhone.pdf
    http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html