iPhone Assembler Foxconn and Other Suppliers Pledge to Use 100% Renewable Energy for Apple Production

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced it has nearly doubled the number of suppliers that have committed to run their Apple-specific production on 100 percent renewable energy, bringing the total number to 44.

[​IMG]

The list of newly committed suppliers includes, among others, Gorilla Glass maker Corning, Face ID module provider Finisar, A-series chipmaker TSMC, Apple Watch manufacturer Quanta Computer, AirPods assembler Luxshare, and iPhone assemblers Foxconn, Pegatron, and Wistron.

Apple now expects to add five gigawatts of renewable energy to its supply chain by 2020, exceeding its goal of four gigawatts in that timeframe.

Apple says that manufacturing makes up 74 percent of its carbon footprint. To address this, Apple and its suppliers have invested in or procured a mix of clean energy technology, including wind and solar. Apple has also further expanded its supplier education and support initiatives.

Apple also announced that it has allocated all of its $2.5 billion in green bonds, the largest amount of any U.S. corporation. Through this, the company says it has contributed to 40 environmental initiatives around the world, including projects Apple has created to cover its entire electricity load.

Apple's Green Bonds also support environmental research and innovation. Projects include solar rooftops in Japan, an aquifer to conserve water in Oregon, and the creation of a custom alloy made of 100 percent recycled aluminum that is now found in the latest MacBook Air and Mac mini.

A year ago, Apple announced that its global facilities, including retail stores, offices, and data centers, are now powered with 100 percent renewable energy.

Article Link: iPhone Assembler Foxconn and Other Suppliers Pledge to Use 100% Renewable Energy for Apple Production

2. tedstoutpa59 macrumors newbie

tedstoutpa59

3. Classie macrumors regular

This is why I support Apple!
    The first news in a long time that is purely 100% positive :)

4. afir93 macrumors 6502a

Regardless of what you may think of Apple's current shortcomings in other areas, this is something we should appreciate about them. Apple seems to at least be doing a lot more in this area than most other big companies at the moment.

5. pike908 macrumors member

How can people be duped so easily by tech companies that wave the green flag is beyond me especially tech companies who whole business model is to get you to throw away a perfectly good device every year or two. Electronic devices, especially smartphones, consume a lot of resource during manufacturing including minerals that are environmentally taxing ie lithium.

Especially said companies that fight right to repair laws for simple things like a battery replacement.

Furthermore, their customers are largely high income folks and just about EVERY environmental survey will show that high income folks have the HIGHEST carbon footprints.

Come on folks...wake up!

6. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Wait a while until some members come on here and definitely make this into a 100% negative news...

Apple & it's products are not perfect, but there is a lot to be admired about this company.....

7. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

8. MacOH21 macrumors member

9. PickUrPoison, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Apple’s devices last more than a year or two, don’t they? And Apple’s recycling program is second to none, right? Please share with us all the companies that do it better.

Apple’s doing more than their fair share; give credit where it’s due. I don’t think you can blame them for others’ high carbon footprints.

btw if you throw any Apple device in the trash, shame on you.

10. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

Despite all the blindfolded unicorns here who see critical thinking as negativity, I cannot stress how much I appreciate the voices of reason like yours.

Apple will probably never go modular and as such will never be seen as green to me. Period.

11. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

The vast majority of tech waste is made by modular things like PC.

12. barmann macrumors 6502a

100% .

There are a lot of definitions of that number .
    No doubt Apple will come up with a brilliant definition of 100, % , energy, and Made In China .

13. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Strangely, yours and the post below yours are both correct.
    I'm not sure I believe that part about all their retail outlets being on renewable energy though. I've been working at the power side of some large shopping villages and the schematics would appear to suggest that the Apple store is fed from the same supply as the others.

14. pike908 macrumors member

The vast majority of tech waste is made by the consumers (predominantly higher income) that consume vasts amounts of carbon (and plastic) in their day to day lives!

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

So nothing to do with Apple, right?

16. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

It's also time for Apple to move from batteries to fuel cells for their mobile devices. The manufacturing process of batteries is a huge contributor to pollution.

17. nocturnum macrumors regular

nocturnum

I agree that sheer scale of parts for PC is a waste, though Mac is quite a different beast and due to the standardised configurations it has the potential to be a truly green through modularity.

Then again, it's highly unlikely that could happen by shareholder-handicapped minds of Apple execs.

18. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It's one thing for Apple to make their headquarters run on 100% renewable energy. What impresses me most about this news is how Apple has convinced a sizable number of other industries to do the same.

And as for Apple devices adding to mounting piles of trash, that's never a problem for me. When I want to upgrade my devices, I bring them back to Apple for recycling or sell them on eBay to others who can use them.

19. barmann macrumors 6502a

Admit it - you totally made that up . ;)

Seriously - proprietary technology - mainly batteries and ports/cables/adapters - lack of upgradability, lack of backwards compatibility ( both software and hardware ), all of it based on a business model of replace , not maintain .

Who is more guilty of waste than Apple in that respect ?

20. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

80% of Macs sold are laptops; only a few million iMac/Mac mini/Mac Pro are sold per year.

iPhone/iPad sell 250 million a year, I don’t think you’re going to see modularity there, but those devices last at least five years and are then recycled.

21. DaveRivera macrumors newbie

DaveRivera

I do the same, or give them to family members:
    • My daughter is still using my old 2007 iMac
    • My other daughter is still using my 2013 iMac that I upgraded to from the 2007 one
    • My wife is still using her 2013 MacBook Pro.
    • All of our iPhones have always either been passed on to someone else to use, or if they died completely, recycled with Apple (Except for two that were stolen and lost)

22. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

23. iAVERY macrumors member

Right, the retail store is powered the same as others and then Apple purchases enough renewable energy credits (recs) in order to offset that. You can’t make a specific power source be routed to specific locations as the grid treats it all the same. Go to your power companies website and you can purchase recs for very cheap. I spend $4 a month extra to offset 12% of my energy use. Apple is just going 100%.

24. LordVic macrumors 603

What a load of crap.

yes, Modular computers can add to environmental waste, as a part is replaced and old one thrown out. However, it overall produces far less waste than an integrated, non upgradable system that requries a full replacement for minor updates and upgrades.

What creates more electronic waste? Someone replacing a couple RAM sticks and throwing out the old one? Or someone buying a whole new computer and throwing out the old one just to get 4gb more ram?

Tech waste is increased when you create locked down systems that have little repairability, upgradability, or ability to scale / adjust to changing times, requiring full replacements. Proprietary technologies, further add to that.

25. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Or are they really trying? Hmmmm.