iPhone AT&T Unlimited Data vs. Family Shared Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kanadaz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Kanadaz, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Kanadaz macrumors newbie

I am in quite a dilemma and I need some guidance from members. I have a grandfathered "Unlimited Data" plan on my iPhone but I'm not yet enrolled into a shared family data plan yet as I am on FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover. My daughter has an iPhone and is on a 300 MB plan. I have trained my daughter to use her data responsibly so she is 99% using Wi-Fi access only, which puts her data usage incredibly low (on an average of 50 MB per month). My son has been patiently waiting to get an iPhone and I plan to put him on 300 MB too and he will be trained to use Wi-Fi also. I have unlimited data plan and have not exceeded more than 400 MB on an average (recently checked with AT&T rep and went as far as 6 months back to track my usage). However, my bill is exceeding over $170 a month and recently I spoke to an AT&T rep who advised that if I switch to a family shared plan, then I would lower my bill by $60 a month if I go for 1GB shared data with unlimited talk and text.

I am so confused because I don't know if leaving my unlimited data plan and going to 1GB should be the decision. Of course by speaking to AT&T rep, they are trained to get all "grandfathered plan" off their plate.

Any guidance? Anyone in my similar situation has made a decision and felt it would a good decision or a bad decision?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you all.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

With as little data as you use, you probably would save money on the shared data plan. If you are paying for a separate data plan for a tablet, do take that into consideration as well.

I don't know if I'd do 1gb, though. That's not much for 3 people, especially if one person's usage spikes at all.

3. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Are you looking into the AT&t Double data promo? That way all of use have a generous amount of data to share.

4. Kanadaz, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Kanadaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have but this starts with 15GB plan only, which is $130.

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm just amazed you manage to use such little data. :D Kudos to your daughter, as well, because that 300mb plan didn't work for mine. She went over it 2-3x before I switched my "unlimited" to a mobile share plan. Now we have 30GB for the family and I told the kids they can use all the data they want.

:apple:

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

The thing to ask them about is the device fees. If you get a new phone, you end up paying $15 or $40 more per month to cover those costs. They don't make this clear when they tell you you're "saving $60 a month" and then this hits later and people lose their minds.

Personally, I have two phones on my plan, and the subsidized 2-year contract is much less for us than the shared plans would be. I also like not having to worry about losing the different "discounts" when I upgrade. My bill stays the same, we get new iPhones for "free" every two years (selling the old ones for the cost of the new ones) and I'm happy.

7. af21187 macrumors 6502

You must have missed the part where he said his combined usage is around 500MB a month. He doesn't need 15GB.

OP, you have no reason whatsoever to keep your unlimited data. You don't seem to use it. Save money ($60) - Get the shared 1GB plan.

Or you can have your bill at $145, saving money and sharing 10GB, and not have to worry about having to "train" your kids to use WiFi all the time. That is the plan I use, and after FAN discount of 23%, my final bill is $136 monthly for 3 lines with 10GB.