iPhone audio/speaker question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phutchi, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Phutchi macrumors member

Ok this is probably a stupid question. But does the iPhone have 1 or 2 external speakers. Looking down on the device at the bottom where the connector is there are 2 grills. I have noticed when listening to anything that if I cover the left grill on purpose or by accident you basically loose all audio nothing comes out of the right grill.

So do I have broken hardware or is the left grill the mic?

Like i said stupid question...

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's been a couple of threads on this.

Only one speaker. The other side is the microphone.

Left - speaker
    Right - microphone

(see page 10 of the iPhone user's guide)

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

hmm if that's the case I wonder if speaking during a phone call is significantly better using the phone in my left hand.

4. Phutchi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I'm at work, and to be honest the phone is so easy to use I've never looked at the manual :D

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't blame you. I wouldn't have either, except I couldn't help but consume every bit of iPhone data before and after launch. Think I'm full, now... ;)

Speaking of the manual (off topic - maybe should be a thread?): This isn't in the manual.
    Today, I notice a new icon next to the Bluetooth icon. It looked like a phone handset above a keyboard. Looked in the manual at the icon list, and it's not there. The only think that came to mind was phone TTY - sure enough, I had accidently turned TTY on.