iPhone Back Concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeman3000, Jun 16, 2008.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

Hello all. I am stoked for the release of the iPhone 3g, but also disappointed at the same time. This is mainly due to the removal of the brushed metal back, as I thought that made an iPhone look very unique and distinguishable.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether or not I should find a v1 iPhone with the metal back, or at least wait and try out the iPhone 3g. I mean, even though the case is "plastic", it still has the potential to feel high-quality and whatnot. I guess I won't know until I hold it for myself.

So really what I am asking, what are my incentives for going with an iPhone 3g over a v1 iPhone or vice-versa? Is it simply the addition of GPS and 3g? Or are there more things to consider that I am unaware of? This will be my first iPhone, so it's not like I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade -- just which one to get.

2. iFemme macrumors newbie

iFemme

you seem to be more focused on the aesthetics of the device than the technology (3G = faster; phone has better battery life) but that's the last thing i would be thinking about. you'll be paying a whole lot less for a new iphone ($199-299) than for an old iphone (~$400 - since there are no more v1 iphones available through retail venues, they're mostly being ebayed and whatnot, driving the price up). just keep in mind that you'll be paying $200 for the back of a phone ;)

3. Pandora01 macrumors regular

What's the big deal about the back? All cellphones have a plastic shell anyway.

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Also keep in mind that with the new phone, you will have to pay a higher monthly fee.

5. test54 macrumors newbie

I would think it would get better reception with the plastic.

6. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's true... I guess that is right. It sucks that the old ones are still more expensive lol.. I would think they would decrease in value, but I guess they will not since Apple is stopping production. It does make sense to get the new iPhone, even with the increased prices.

What are those like, btw? Isn't just like 10 or 20 bucks more for the 3G? Like 40 instead of 20?

7. iFemme macrumors newbie

iFemme

the new monthly fee is $30 as opposed to the 2G $20.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Probably waiting until you see it in person would be a good move. The most we've seen are a few digicam shots of the real thing.

9. mark34 macrumors 6502a

ONLY 3G and GPS?? Seriously? While many people had expectations of all sorts of things, 3G is still far better than edge and GPS is a nice add.

Not to be a broken record, but... wait until you hold one in the flesh. One article by someone who has used one says it feels better than the old one. Change is hard for some people, but 9 times out of 10 for me with such items, the new makes the old seem, well, old.

It is possible that you will see and hold the new one and hate it so much that you would rather have older technology in a case you prefer. I tend to doubt it.

10. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

See, part of the reason for my hesitation is that 3G is not really that good in our area -- or at least so I thought. I just found out that we now have 3G all over our city, so I am totally sold on the iPhone 3G. Just that alone is worth it, even if I don't care for the cosmetic change. Thanks for all the input.

11. slicecom macrumors 68020

Fully plastic back > aluminum/plastic combo back

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not true at all. I can name numerous phones made with materials other than plastic.

Very true.

13. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I agree. The version 1 back is nice, but I do think a single color/material look will be an improvement

14. xploit macrumors regular

The new 3G is a POS! Its a cheap model. If apple fails to introduce a proper UPGRADED model soon they will loose their edge completely!

The 2G is gorgeous and deserved to be gadget of the year! This new one not so much. I said it before and I will say it again the 2G was first class the new one is BUDGET!

X-

15. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Ha! He's back. :rolleyes: If i hold this new iPhone and it feels of poor quality, I won't buy it. I wonder if others would be willing to change their mind when they finally actually see and hold one and <gasp :eek:> it actually feels nice.

I still have to wonder what the vested interest is in the, yet to be held, 3G product being crappy.

16. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

This isnt a normal phone though, iphone should be different... Bring back aluminium. Iphone hasnt become the coolest gadget ever by chance, metel back has some responsibility,

17. xploit macrumors regular

Well I just can't get over how many people are saying the 3g is all that. I think design is what made this phone special. As far as speed goes there were many 3G models out when the original came out. There were and are many phones out there that actually do a better job and offer more features than the iphone. BUT Apple isn't ever suppose to be like the rest and is always concerned with design. SO I have been saying that these 3G lovers must be fanboys but that is incorrect as a true apple fan would never be taken by this poor excuse for an update. In fact I think the only people loving this new model are those that simply could not afford the original or sold their original. Apple users want to stand out from the rest not take a step closer to the masses. Steve Jobs has proclaimed LET THEM EAT CAKE! but all your getting is old pound cake with no frosting. EAT UP!

X-

18. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

How can you say old pound cake? Are there new features in the iPhone 3G?

The only thing that has been "taken away" is the aluminum back. I like to run my phone "naked" but many people cover your coveted aluminum back with a case anyway.

19. xploit macrumors regular

NO WORRIES! I predict Apple will be rolling out a new phone very soon! New form factor with all the treats at a higher price that a lot of people will gladly pay for!

X-

20. mark34 macrumors 6502a

So somehow, did the metal on the back of the old iPhone make you feel more comfortable that you have convinced others outwardly that you have financial success? Making assessment of the financial situations of others is usually a really big mistake. ;) You never know who is on these boards.

It isn't so much fanboydom, rather, I would like to see and feel the device before passing judgement. Design is absolutely critical, I agree with you completely. However, I do not hang out in WiFi spots all the time, I travel. Edge to me is a fatal flaw at this stage for such a nice browser. It is now fixed. 3G is very important to me. I also have a suspicion that the device is going to look and feel quite nice. I could be wrong and I won't know until I hold one. I like the uniform look of both the black and white one. But I also LOVE the version one iPhone.

21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I faced the same dilemma, and decided to purchase a v1 iPhone in case I absolutely could not stand the look of the plastic case, and I have absolutely no regrets.

I am paying $20 for unlimited data and 200 text messages, versus $35 for the 3G phone. I cared about 3G (purchased a Garmin Nuvi 650, so GPS was not a consideration), but found EDGE speeds to be acceptable, which is quite surprising, and the phone is simply STUNNING. But, best of all, I got lucky and bought the phone brand new for only $150 off CL (still pinching myself to make sure I am awake and this is not a dream, lol).

My advice is to get a v1 if GPS and 3G are not terribly important because the iPhone is a great phone even without those two features. Lastly, I thought I was sacrificing form over function, and I was happy to discover that was not the case the EDGE phone so you will be okay either way.

Jude

22. xploit macrumors regular

I wasn't touting my own financial success. I was merely stating that the phone has gotten considerable cheaper and design and features seems to have taken the brunt of this as an opportunity cost.

X-

23. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I know... i was just poking. Peace.

Honestly, I really don't think this thing is going to feel or be budget. It is my bet (subject to being wrong) that it will feel like a second generation of a great product. We shall see I guess.

24. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

For all the people saying "look the new phone is cheaper" well at day one it is, after two years it will cost you about $175 more than the first generation iphone.

It is a joke. ATT/Apple are acting like 3G is light speed. Come on already.

25. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I was on the fence about getting the 3G phone, but after playing around using EDGE, I am 90 percent certain that I will not get 3G phone.

It is not about the money. I just feel that Steve was being disingenuous when he stated that the phone was cheaper, knowing that it was going to cost about $360 more.

I was prepared to pay $500+ for a 16 gb iPhone with 3G and minimum design changes. I would even have paid more for the data package, but as another posted stated, the phone just appears "budget" to me at this point.

I will reserve final judgment until I have actually played with the phone, but in view of my overall satisfaction with v1, Apple is unlikely to get a sale from me.

Jude