Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drchipinski

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
I was on the fence about getting the 3G phone, but after playing around using EDGE, I am 90 percent certain that I will not get 3G phone.

It is not about the money. I just feel that Steve was being disingenuous when he stated that the phone was cheaper, knowing that it was going to cost about $360 more.

I was prepared to pay $500+ for a 16 gb iPhone with 3G and minimum design changes. I would even have paid more for the data package, but as another posted stated, the phone just appears "budget" to me at this point.

I will reserve final judgment until I have actually played with the phone, but in view of my overall satisfaction with v1, Apple is unlikely to get a sale from me.

Jude

I agree. I am not paying premium bucks ($100/month is good money) for a down-graded Iphone with ATT's lack luster service.

Has anyone checked out the 3G map? It is a joke....this is the same thing they did when they rolled out GSM. I am not going to pay an additional $15 to be a "tester" of their new service. (I know it is not really new, but you get my point!)

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I agree. I am not paying premium bucks ($100/month is good money) for a down-graded Iphone with ATT's lack luster service.

Has anyone checked out the 3G map? It is a joke....this is the same thing they did when they rolled out GSM. I am not going to pay an additional $15 to be a "tester" of their new service. (I know it is not really new, but you get my point!)

I am curious; if Apple likes to be known for not following the trend and whatnot, why are they creating this "budget" iphone that takes away features in addition to adding a couple?

It does not make sense to me that the new iphone does not support video and mms among other things... and yet the aluminum back is removed... why? We just got 3G in our area, so I have to admit that is very attractive, but one of the things I loved about the original iphone was the way it looked. This one still looks sexy in all black, but the fact that it's all plastic kind of turns me off.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
remember how everyone said the new nano was ugle when the pics were leaked? and then when it actually came out and you held it in your hand everyone loved the look and feel...perhaps this will be the same case

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I was a bit disappointed by the back but I'll reserve judgement until I hold one in my hand. I'm still getting one though, the rest of the package far outweighs the back for me.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006

Again, people, seriously! "down-graded", "budget"; you must get past your previousversionpurchaser-itis. Relax, take a deep breath. Who says it is downgraded? Clearly it is a superior phone from a functionality perspective, though we all want to see if it has an improved or cheapened look and feel. We DON'T KNOW yet.

As far as 3G. I have a Blackjack on AT&T. I live in Austin, and as I have traveled around the country and a little bit out of the country over the last year and a half, I would say I have had 3G reception at least 85% of the time. Otherwise I fall back to Edge. It is a bummer when I have to deal with Edge, but it is pretty rare. The coverage continues to improve.

3G in the iPhone is a big deal. It isn't leading edge technology, that's for sure, but it does bring wireless surfing to the realm of quick and almost like being in a decent Wifi. At least that has been my experience on the Blackjack and on my MacBook Air with 3G card. In many cases I use my 3G card instead of a hotspot WiFi due to the inconsistent and sometimes slow connection in many hotspots. Though really, I don't sit in free hotspots that often when on the road. With such a nice browser... to me, 3G is a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.