iPhone bath tub electrocution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Sep 29, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Will the iPhone or iPod touch electrocute a person if it falls into a bathtub? :confused:

Not concerned about the damage to the phone, but will the person live to tell the story?

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

3. jas1973 macrumors 6502

i would imagine it would of already happened if it could happen. with as many people here addicted to their iphones im sure someone on this earth as dropped it in the tub, lol

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

It may make you wish you had been electrocuted once you realize your iPhone is ruined. :p

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

If it were plugged in without GFCI sockets, I suppose it could.

6. max-power macrumors member

I think he's trying to do research on how to create the perfect undetectable murder.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually, even if it were plugged in it couldn't hurt you because the voltage is very low. Remember the 120 volt AC adapter reduces and converts the wall voltage down to around 5 volts DC.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Actually, voltage matters less than current ... 5V at 10A can kill - and it won't even trip the breaker.

9. ski2moro macrumors 6502

NO. Not enough amperage.

Anecdotal evidence only... A neighbor actually dropped his iPhone 3G in the tub while he was giving his toddler a bath. The kid was fine and the iPhone still worked despite the glowing red sensors.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

Yes I understood that, sorry I left out the amperage.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Steve won't allow that. :p

14. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

But at such a low voltage the skin's resistance (even when wet) is high enough that the actual current drawn would be negligible..

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There's an app for that!

16. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

No, but when you dive into the tub trying to save your iPhone you could hit your head and be knocked unconscience, face down in the water. You'll know if this has happened when grandma and Elvis walk toward you, out of a briliant white light.

17. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Why would I be at my grandma's and what the hell is Elvis doing there?

18. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Grandma and Elvis were doing some kinky stuff with soap in the bath tub that involved bright disco lights and ... nevermind ... you needed to be there to understand ...

19. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

True. IIRC it only takes 0.1A to stop a heart.

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes.

Go ahead and pay for those big money life insurance policies. See you on 48 Hours Mystery.

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

He will live, and come on MacRumors to post the 1001st "HELP...dropped iPhone in water" or "Where are the water sensors located" thread.

22. sentros macrumors member

As discussed previously it's the current that kills, not voltage.

Also keep in mind that alternating current is far more deadlier (especially at low frequencies). "Low frequency (50–60 Hz) alternating currents can be more dangerous than similar levels of DC since the alternating fluctuations can cause the heart to lose coordination, inducing ventricular fibrillation, a deadly heart rhythm that must be corrected immediately." -wikipedia

Now there's always the argument that because AC causes muscles to contract so you might actually involuntarily let go of the source of electricity, but in this case where you are having a bath I deem it as irrelevant.

The iPhone uses a ithium-ion battery which all operate with voltages of 3,6-3,7V DC. Now the human body has a resistance that is dependant on the entry points level of moisturisation. On dry skin it's somewhere in the 100kohm range and with wet skin around 1kohm. When you are in a bath I'd say the skin is pretty wet. Thus we can apply ohm's law and calculate the current (I=U/R). 3,7V/1000ohm = 3,7mA.

According to wikipedia 300-500mA DC is needed for ventricular fibrillation and this is assuming you are applying the current straight to the chest. In this bath case if you just drop it in a random spot of the tub you have to take into consideration the fact that water in itself is pretty resistive as well making the current that flows through you even smaller.

All that being said it's fairly safe to take a bath with your iPhone. :)

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That’s unfortunate, since then he’ll be back to trolling how much the iPhone 4 sucks.

24. azhava macrumors regular

No, but if a person falls into a bathtub holding an iPhone, it will electrocute the iPhone! :D