iPhone battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spinstorm, Oct 22, 2007.

1. spinstorm macrumors 65816

I am wondering about the battery life on my iPhone since I did the 1.1.1 update and JB/activated it!

I have had it on for 13 hours since it was fully charged and it was down to 10% remaining before I put it in the dock to charge. I got the train somewhere and I would not normally use it so much!

Out of those 13 hours I sent about 10 or so txt messages and made and received 5 or 6 calls lasting around an hour at most in total. I also surfed the internet for approx an hour as well as listening to music on the phone for approx 5 hours.

Does that sound like it is in line with Apple battery life estimates?

I remmeber when I previously used my phone on the train on 1.0.2 this much I used the iPod for about 5 hours and made maybe 30 mins of calls and sent around 10 texts but didn't use more than a few minutes of wi-fi and the battery logo did NOT drop at all - it was still full as far as the icon was concerned!

Obviously I used the phone much more today and maybe it would have dropped on 1.0.2 if I used it as much but I am curious on the guidlines that Apple put out!?

Any thoughts?

2. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Have you downloaded Services App in Installer? If you install that and turn off SSH when you dont need it, your battery life will be a lot better

3. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I know about that EXCEPT I can't actually log in with SSH!

It used to work and now it doesn't! Which suggests to me it is disabled already!

Unless it possible for it to be working but not be able to connect?

4. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I did previously download services and may have turned SSH off with that -although when I tested it I was still able to connect even with SSH in services off.

Eitherway it doesnt work now so it must be off!

So is my power usage that bad? and what sort of performance have others been getting?

To be honest compared to my Nokia N95 the iphone lasts forever! lol

5. dangleheart macrumors 6502

My situation may not be same as yours. It used to hold the charge quite well but in the last few days it was draining quite rapidly even when the iPhone is not in use. I talked to Apple Care and they are sending me a replacement phone while they send this in for repair. Let us see what happens.

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Uh oh.. I think the same thing is happening to me. The battery life was great at first, and now it's just draining like crazy. Today I didn't use it any more than a similar day last week, and the battery was down to 10% before I even got home. Listening to music, quite a bit of web surfing and email, some google earth, and some videos. Usually it would drain half the battery before I get home. Today I actually had to stop using the phone before I got home, out of fear that It would die on me. :confused:

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

does iPhone's battery replacement program still costs $80?

8. artemka macrumors member

Ok, I’m a third owner of an iPhone, I’ve bought it on craigslist from one guy, but I do have the original receipt when it was purchased by first person on release day. When I’ve bought iPhone, it was firmware 1.0.2 so I upgraded it to 1.1.1 from first use. Now the thing is. The most I can get out of the battery is 5 hours just surfing the web on the LOWEST LOWEST BRIGHTNESS (I’m not sure how was it with 1.0.2, didn’t get a chance to test it out). And my question is, is that a good reason to call Apple and complain about that? And if my iPhone eligible for warranty (never been unlocked) if I’m not a first owner but I do have original receipt? I appreciate your help.

9. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope your problems are sorted but I actually think considering my usage that the battery life was ok...

Afterall it was on for 13 hours, 5 listening to music, 1 on the phone and 1 or 2 hours on the internet.

I know iphone guidlines says 24 hours music life - if calls are fowarded and wi-fi is off lol and 5 hours web browsing if calls are fowarded again.

My performance seems to me to be about right where it should be unless someone disagrees?

10. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Yeah, my drastic iPhone draining today is probably normal too. I was using SSL, Wi-Fi, alot of web browsing, video playing, etc.

11. dangleheart macrumors 6502

When I called Apple Care, they only asked for my phone number and they had all my data. They wanted to verify the EMEI number and address for verficiation. So, if you have activated with AT&T, your experience would be the same.

12. Spanners macrumors member

Genius! I have been struggling with this for a while and couldn't figure out where my battery life was going.

Schweet!

13. dangleheart macrumors 6502

What are you guys talking about regarding Services App and what is its relationship to the battery life?

14. artemka macrumors member

do u guy think ts normal 5 hrs just surfing the web on the lowest brightness all the time (till it gets to 10%)? Wi fi off. No app services. Is it worth it to call apple about that? Whats the possible that apple might say or do ? Thanks for help

15. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

If you never jailbreaked your iphone then it has no relevence.

But if you did during the process you need to install SSH - its a server app that lets your PC connect to the iPhone so you can install other apps.

SSH is on unless you turn it off so it is always looking for a connection so it drains the battery!

How much it drains? I don't know and like I said for me I can no longer connect with SSH so I guess mine is off so my battery usage yesterday was just based on doing lots of things all day long!

16. T4R06 macrumors 65816

strange happened last night on my iphone. before went to sleep my i check the battery and its about 70% on it. that was i think 12mn and i woke up 6:30 this morning surprisingly the iphone warns me my battery is 20% blah blah blah..

my edge, wifi is on and checking mails every hour. but still i think this is not normal.

i downloaded the "services" just now and found out that my SSH is running!

17. jwifferdill macrumors newbie

What exactly is SSH and what does it do for me? I just turned it off, but my battery life wasn't terrible to begin with. I figure if I don't need it I might as well turn it off, however.

18. dangleheart macrumors 6502

I talked to Apple Care mid-day yesterday about my battery problems. I already have the temporary phone. Wow, that was quick. Now I am the one who is slowing things down in sending my iPhone back to them for repair.

19. artemka macrumors member

hey. Are u on firmware 1.1.1? What battery problem did u have?

20. dangleheart macrumors 6502

I am on the latest firmware. My problem was, the battery drain was quite steep even when the phone is not being used a lot. Like 50% overnight when it was not doing anything.

21. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Have you checked your usage meter? i just noticed mine went crazy today even though the phone was in standby the whole day.

22. paddykev macrumors member

paddykev

how do you uninstall ssh from the iphone, i have independence and have 1.1.1 but i don't plan on adding anything else to the phone for a while and if i don't need ssh i'd rather just uninstall it so is there an option for that or a guide?

23. artemka macrumors member

Can someone give me AppleCare phone number? THanks

24. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I've noticed that sometimes my phones usage time continues counting upwards even when it's supposed to be in standby mode.

For instance, I'll press the button on the top to put it in standby, and 20 minutes later, i'll turn it back on, and the usage time will change from 2 hours to 2 hours and 20 minutes. Sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to figure out why. I don't have Wi-Fi on, i'm not listening to music, nothing is actively doing anything. Why does it keep using my battery by remaining "active"?

By the way, today i've done quite a bit of email checking, a fair bit of web surfing, some texting, maybe an hour of music, and some calculator use.. and the usage time shows 8 hours, and i've got about a quarter battery left. I assume that's normal.

Anyways, how do I fix the standby/usage issue?

25. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466).

Google is an incredible thing. And an easy one at that :rolleyes: