Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
http://www.9to5mac.com/apple_verizon_4g

Verizon may be aggressively targeting Apple’s iPhone with its latest Droid ad campaign, but that doesn’t mean the company isn’t attempting to woo Cupertino, at least so it appears on report the next-gen iPhone is already being tested on Verizon’s network.
A report on Fone Frenzy (who?) claims Verizon Wireless CEO, Lowell McAdam has visited Apple HQ “several times”, adding that Apple is testing a CDMA iPhone on the Verizon 4G LTE network.
“The tests have been taking place for the last couple of months and but with no confirmation on the release date,” this report claims.
A report on the report published on MacTouchUser also makes the claim that Apple and Verizon are testing a tablet prototype on the network, citing an old BusinessWeek article.
Given continued complaints at AT&T’s US 3G coverage, some grist to this particular rumour is granted by the fact that Verizon has already begun putting together 4G infrastructure, set for mass market introduction next year. 4G is ten times faster than 3G, has better security and other features to attract.
All this must be put through the other recent claims that Apple and AT&T have hitched up an extension of their existing exclusivity, which could make for no deal detente between Apple and Verizon at this time. Also, we're by no means certain of the veracity of the Fone Frenzy claim.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Incongruous statement ... a CDMA iPhone wouldn't be required on an LTE network

That doesn't mean they wouldn't want a CDMA version so it wouldn't be restricted to ONLY having service where the 4G network is laid out. I'd assume they'd want it to have better coverage and switch between just like the current iPhone goes between Edge and 3G.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I once thought Verizon would have to get the iPhone at some point. It just made business sense to me, for both Verizon and Apple. But I can't imagine this happening anymore. Verizon continues to plow full-force down the road of COMPETING with Apple, not joining them. This "iDon't" campaign takes DIRECT shots at Apple. I gotta think that slams the door on any deal with Apple.

And Verizon continues to solidify their stance that the network must take center stage, and the devices are a secondary matter. Apple wants it the other way around. Heck, the only place on the iPhone that identifies the carrier is the tiny logo at the top of the screen. Since when have you seen that on a Verizon phone?

There will be no iPhone on Verizon in the foreseeable future. Mark my words.

And AT&T will eventually catch up enough on coverage and capacity to satisfy most iPhone users. They are making progress, albeit a couple years too late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.