iPhone Beta 3 (major problems?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Apr 15, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

WHo else is having major problems with your iPhone with the 3rd beta on it? Today all my messages were deleted just out of nowhere and my messages app fails 4/5 times. The whole beta itself is full of bugs and is horrible in my opinion! is anyone else having major problems in this beta?!

P.S. Anyone who is going to bash at this thread stay off your not cool! I Know its a beta.

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

3. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

do you know if you can downgrade beta's

4. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Beta 2 expires on like the 24th from what I have heard so that would not be a good idea. I would already be back on Beta 2 if I could.

5. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

Redownload the beta and do a restore. It worked for my friend on beta 2(different problem but it was still the messages giving him the problem). I know its a pain in the ass but it should really help.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

weird.. I might try that tomorrow.. Thanks.

7. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Downgrade if you want, but Beta 1 is expired, and Beta 2 will expire within a week. Your best bet is going down to 2.2.1 until Beta 4 if your Beta 3 is that bad. Mine is fine.

8. efice32 macrumors 6502

Try redownloading and reinstalling beta 3. I don't know why it works but some people have had success fixing their issues by doing this.

9. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Try restoring and setting up as a new phone. I know this can be a pain but it has fixed several problems for me.

10. cx300 macrumors member

i have only had one problem (phone # dialing was shifted down so that the bottom row of buttons was off the screen) other than that it has worked perfectly...

11. entwife macrumors regular

So far mine has been very very good, completely useable as a main phone rather then test unit. There are obviously some bugs, such as the red 'message not sent' icon coming up occassionaly but over all my experience is that it's been ace. I even restored from back up too. I agree with posts before saying restore again.

12. pugnut macrumors 6502a

NO issues , but have some thoughts

I use multipe phones for development and have 4 people testing my apps. I find that very limited thrid party apps, not tested for 3.0, and the phone does not have issues. If you want to use it as your main phone, which I do as well, then I would strongly recommned limiting the apps and not restoring, but start with a new phone

13. lfine39 macrumors member

I am experiencing same problem, I have to reboot phone to make a call

14. richg916 macrumors regular

None of these problems are happening on any of my phones. All are stable... A lot more apps are working with b3.

15. ViPa macrumors 6502a

everything is working fine for me fortunately

16. GenNovE macrumors member

quickoffice files not working and i use it everyday for shcool and business so I need it.

messaging works fine for me way faster then beta 2.
    overall way better in my opinion. Dont really care for mms. Everybody I know
    have access to their email throughout the day so that old technology is useless to me. Got tethering working. skype no longer works over 3g :(

Overall because of quickfiles and photogene not working I was forced to revert back to 2.2.1

17. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I might have figured out the messages lag. I think it only happens when someone who has texted you ALOT (with the old texts still on the phone) is texting you.

I didn't realize it until today, but it only really happens when my girlfriend texts me and I have like 8000 texts between us on my phone.

Anyone else texting someone with a lot of historic texts??

18. luv2hum macrumors regular

i have tried to restore 3.0 b3 a few times, and never once did it ask me to set up a new iphone or restore from back up like it did when i installed b1 and b2.....is this normal?

19. digbyp macrumors regular

On a PC, as I understand it,

shift update allows you to update only
    shift restore, will allow you to set-up as a new iPhone

I guess for mac, you use the option key instead of shift

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah, option/alt is used for Macs.

Just to reiterate, clicking option or shift + restore will allow you to restore the iPhone using that beta, usually clearing up a lot of errors. Another tip that I have been using is to restore as a new iPhone. Takes a little bit of time to redo some settings but it has been worth it. No problems on any betas thus far using this method.

With beta 3 the keypad was really messed up but after restoring new it is solved.

21. luv2hum macrumors regular

well i am using a mac, and i did do the option+check for update and then clicked to open up beta 3, that worked fine, but it still did not ask me to set up new phone after it was done formating the b3...and i still have no mms luck any ideas?

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

You don't click option+update. You click option+restore to set it up as a new iPhone. It will ask if you want to restore it from a backup or set it up as a new iPhone.

23. luv2hum macrumors regular

option +restore before or after i put on b3?

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I did it pre-b3. Saves time if you want to restore it as a new iPhone.

A lot of people back in b1 were claiming that this was a way to make YouTube work, and sure enough when I did it my YouTube started working again.

Therefore, I just started doing this for each beta release afterwards (all two of them lol).

25. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I've seen a lot of complaints about the mail app in B3, but I took a 2.2.1 phone and upgraded it 2 days ago, did NOT do a restore, and everything seems to be fine for me (knock on wood). MUCH improved over B2.