iPhone Calendar Alert Sound Customization?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mkrishnan, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there any way to customize the alert tone for the calendar that's automated (ideally running on the phone itself) or lets you use ringtones already uploaded on the phone? I searched around, and the only method I seem to be able to find is to use iBrickr. Are there any other tools that let you do this? Thanks!

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You can .ssh into the UIAudio. That's what iBrickr is doing. Its quite easy.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So then I just replace the appropriate .caf file (I think alarm.caf is the one?) with an AAC file renamed to be .caf? Or... Are there expectations regarding the bitrate or size of the AAC file? And is it okay to leave the remnant original .caf file renamed, e.g. alarm.bak?

Or do I make a replacement .aiff file for this file:

/Applications/MobileCal.app/alarm.aiff

?

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You have to name your file exactly as the original file. (Backup that original)

5. ncnoman macrumors newbie

working calendar fix

hi thanks for the previous post, they were good clues but didn't work. your clues plus being fueled by almost missing an appt due to the weak-ass calendar notification (another iphone design flaw, not being able to change it) this was enough to get me driven.
    here's what to do:
    1) go into cyberduck/winscp and SSH to the root directory.
    2) then go to /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    3) replace alarm.caf with any other file you have called alarm.caf
    .caf means Core Audio file so you probably need to do this part on a Mac
    I used Fusion to clip an mp3 file and save it as an aiff. then i opened the aiff with Apple Soundtrack Pro and saved it as a Core Audio file. The whole time I kept the save settings as 16-bit /44100 kHz /1411 kbps bit rate, just like the original. The only thing different about my file is the length and maybe the dB, but it worked.
    4) reboot the phone, you must reboot for Core Audio to reload it's files!

if you'd like me to email you my alarm.caf send me a message
    it is a 4-second clip of the intro to a metal song with distorted guitars and banging drums. hopefully i won't miss any more calendar reminders! LOL

6. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for the clarifications! :) I never wound up customizing my calendar sound, but I might go back and do that at some point.... I have to check and see what apps I have that are able to save a file as core audio.

7. KTrinh93 macrumors newbie

dont have file...

im not sure if this is because i have an ipod touch instead of an iphone...but i dont have the alarm.aiff file in the directory specified...can someone post what that alarm is so i can move it on to my ipod? or can i just take one of the 5 built in alarms and drop it in that directory? cuz when i have calendar events, it just shows the blue message on the screen but theres no sound coming from the external speaker on my ipod...anyone got a clue?

8. stiphone macrumors regular

I would have thought that the easiest way would be to use customize.

9. ncnoman macrumors newbie

alarm.caf

as far as i know Customize doesn't have any way to change the alarm sound. Not that it couldn't, it just doesn't have that option.

and renaming file extensions is not going to work. you must make a real .caf file (Core Audio file) with a program such as Apple Soundtrack Pro

10. ncnoman macrumors newbie

alarm.caf on iphone os 2.0

oh yes in case anyone is curious... this works on the original iphone, an original iphone running OS 2.0, and iphone 3G

i've had all 3, and tested it

11. larrypahl macrumors newbie

send me that file!

ncnoman can you send me that alarm.caf file? or any other updates on fixing this, thanks!

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

When I made my various sms-received.caf files, I just renamed aiff files.

Is it definitely different for this? I don't think I have a way to save as caf format.

13. ncnoman macrumors newbie

loud audio.caf file

here is my alarm.caf file for replacing the calendar's alarm. you must replace this any time you update your software, cause itunes doesn't back it up. in a previous post i described how i made it, but you need Apple Logic or some other program capable of trimming files and saving as Core Audio

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~btmandul/alarm.caf

14. billwynne macrumors newbie

Is there a problem with iBrickr?

There was a mention of iBrickr and then nothing. Is there a reason to avoid this program?

15. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

iphone explorer is another good alternative if you dont want to/know how to ssh.

16. robertbohen macrumors newbie

Sound file follow up and download

I rarely post, but if everyone was like me no one would benefit as I have by others posting.

I followed the instructions and it did not work until I matched the FREQUENCY of the .caf file, which is 44,100 hz. Please note that. What I did was take a Navy Klaxon wave file and increased the pitch and amplified it so I could hear it from two rooms away (using Audacity a free open source sound editor that allows you to set the project rate to 44,100, http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).

Then I exported it as a .wav file, not mp3, because once you convert it to an .aif from mp3 using Quicktime, the file is twice the kb than a .wav file converted to .aif. I named the file alarm.aif and renamed it to alarm.caf.

Using the free and amazing SSH free iPhonebrowser http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/, I renamed the original alarm.caf; alarm1.caf. at /System/Library/Audio/UISounds and pasted my newly made klaxon called alarm.caf.

THEN I REBOOTED THE IPHONE, HOLDING BOTH KEYS DOWN UNTIL THE SCREEN WENT BLACK

It works very well and very loud and I am very happy. I don't think you need to jailbreak your phone to do this either. Just use iPhonebrowser.

I have uploaded the alarm.caf in a zip file to make it simple for anyone else. http://bohen.net/alarm.zip. Just drop it in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds via iPhonebrowser and reboot.

Thank you everyone for contributing and making my life more effecient.

Robert Bohen

17. bad-sector macrumors newbie

hey there, i know its old thread but is there any way anyone of u mac users take this perfect sound and make it 1 min long?

18. iqwysong macrumors newbie

Help

Hi, Robert:

I don't know programming, but I do know what I need. What you have given us is a partial solution to my needs. Could you please take the time and write something that would produce a long, loud alert three times about every 5 minutes. It could be the alert sound followed by dead air and then repeat again in 5 minutes, then silence and finally repeat again.

So many times I am in the car or a noisy environment and miss the iPhones insipid alert.

Please let me know if that is possible or if you have a disinclination to do it.

email: iqwysong@gmail.com Thanks for your consideration, Bill Wysong

19. Riverman macrumors newbie

I can't seem to change the Iphone 4 alert as suggested

I've downloaded the Iphone Browser, as well as the alarm (zip) file. However, when I try to use the Browser I can't find the files indicated nor where to put the new file.
    Is there anything I am missing or does this procedure not work with the new I phone4?
    I can't believe this phone has such a lousy calendar alert. The replacement file might be a bit too stringent but I would live with it as compared to the one that comes with the phone.
    Thanks,

20. DEVART macrumors newbie

Calendar Alarm gives loud and long tones

We made a loud and long alarm possible with an app called Calendar Alarm, now available in the app store. The alarm syncs with the default Calendar. There are 12 sounds to choose between and the sounds rings for 10 or 30 seconds. In the upcoming version (begin september 2010) we will also add a repeat/snooze.

App store link

21. Alkemisti macrumors newbie

I downloaded the app that Devart was talking about but my iPhone now plays both alerts simultaneously...I can't figure out how to change this. Wasn't the app supposed to replace the original irritating tone with the one that I could choose from the sound selection?

22. DEVART macrumors newbie

Get rid of original Calendar Alert tone

Alkemisti, you can get rid of the original tone as follows: go to the standard iPhone Settings, choose Sounds, scroll down to Calendar Alerts. The default is on, you just need to switch it off. Success.

23. Alkemisti macrumors newbie

About the alert

Thanks DEVART, now I understand how it works!

24. RobbyH982 macrumors newbie

A couple questions

Can you specify how long the phone vibrates if an alert goes off when the phone is muted?

Also, can you specify different sounds for individual alerts, or is it one overall?

Thanks,

Brandon

25. DEVART macrumors newbie

For version 1.10 expected around 23 September:
    - if muted, same vibration as now (we can't change the hardware)
    - chosen sounds can be specified for each calendar. (in version 1.0 one sound for all)