Iphone capacity bump, due to nano?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacqueclaude, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Jacqueclaude macrumors member

With all this hoohah about the iPhone nano idea, I came to think earlier...

*If* an iPhone nano did come out, the least memory I would imagine it'd have is 4gb. They would definitely not go below that. So means we can assume a start model of 4gb at least.

Then, if they were to offer another higher memory model, it would be 6gb perhaps? 8gb?

This would mean a capacity overlap, and the iPhone 3g offering the same storage space as the iPhone nano.

I've been thinking that, perhaps when (or if) an iPhone nano is released at Macworld, perhaps we'll finally get that 32gb bump we've been waiting for?
    Perhaps the start model iPhone 3g will be 16gb.

Thoughts?

(Yes, I know I spelt iPhone wrong:p)

2. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Possibly, but I don't think they'll get rid of their 8GB iPhone, what's the point? Just because they offer an iPhone nano with the same storage capacity doesn't mean they should bump the iPhone's. Think about it, if a nano were to be released it won't have all the productivity the iPhone has now, probably no internet, maps, and things like that. It would be irrelevant for such a little phone. When they released the 8GB and 16GB nano, they didn't update the ipod touch's capacity to start at 16. I know they're two separate products but it's just my track of thought.

3. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

I quite agree with you now - I didn't take into account the functionality.
    Perhaps the extra features would determine which model you buy, and not the capacity...

I still seem to think that they could finally bump it up to 32gb.
    Anybody understand the whole Flash card things, and how much is actually possible to fit into an iPhone?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If they did release an Iphone Nano it would need more than 4GB minimum memory, but your right if they release a larger capacity Iphone (32GB) then they would probably remove the lower 8GB model to encourage people to trade up

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There are no 6GB flash chips, there will be no iPhone nano.

6. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Amen.

7. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Exactly, it's the features the products has, not necessarily just the memory, although it is a big factor in which model you buy.
    And yes, more than likely 32 will be released at MacWorld.

You always seem so monotone in your posts :p
    Lighten up :D

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is Apple. It always pays to be pessimistic.

9. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Wow dude,
    that's about it. Wow.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Show me one instance where Apple gave us a better product than was rumored.

11. svndmvn Guest

though I do agree with you, one of the recent surprises from Apple has been the Macbook Air, I recall people talking about an aluminum Macbook carried around Cupertino, it was supposed to be a bit thinner, but not that thin. That was a good moment for me, right now rumors seem to get everything right so, yes, being pessimistic is the best solution.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dropping FireWire, dropping Ethernet, only one USB, huge bezel, non-replaceable battery, no ODD...

Just saying. It truly is a fine machine, just not the MacBook God that people wanted. :D

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

perhaps

14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I wish everyone would stop discussing these iPhone nano rumors and just use a little logic. I know this is Mac Rumors, but do we really need 500k threads on this?

Why post a question that no one knows the answer to?

15. Robby9279 macrumors regular

I agree

16. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

It's a discussion.
    That's the whole flaming point of a forum.

Don't be so bloody rude.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I fail to see how he's being rude.
    I also fail to see why this needed to be separate from the half-dozen existing discussions.

18. Robby9279 macrumors regular

God, I can't get enough of your monotone haha! :D
    You seem so sarcastic, not in a bad way though I think it's funny.
    And I believe it's much more than a half-dozen I was thinking around 200-dozen or so.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Heated discussions are safer when only one party gets... heated.;)
    I try to remain cool in all situations. Unfortunately, some people think I'm making fun of them when I do (sarcasm, as you said), causing them to lash out. Maybe it's just me, but I think an inordinate number of newish members get banned or put in Time Out because of me. Perhaps it's because I speak in virtual absolutes about upcoming products. Perhaps it's my pessimism about specs. Who knows?

Simple solution: If you don't like my posts, there's an ignore button. So many people don't notice that... :rolleyes:

But now, now... 200 is a little harsh. *MRoogles it* Huh. Exactly 100. Wouldn't you know...

20. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Hahaha, I remember one time you posted on one of my threads (when I first joined), and I was like whoa, what did I do to you? Then I noticed that most of your post had a similar trend and I started thinking it was funny, especially when the "newbies" freaked out.

I never knew there was an ignore button. See people you can learn stuff from Tallest, he's not all that bad! :eek:

Haha, figured... with all these posts from the past few weeks.. you'd think they would accumulate to at least 100...

Now back to the topic.
    More likely iPhone will get 32GB and a Nano is a very unlikely rumor.

21. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

There's more of a point to the thread, than the general iPhone nano rumour threads.

I simply asked for thoughts on how a nano could affect the actual iPhone.
    If you don't like it, then don't post! You're just causing needless fuss.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I have to agree here. I am not sure where this obsession came from in terms of an iPhone nano. It just doesn't make sense to me. A smaller capacity fewer feature iPhone doesn't seem to make sense. I've been wrong before (often) so who knows. I find the notion of an iPhone nano to be quite absurd.

23. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I can wager my house that there is no such thing as an iphone nano. Th iphone is so successful because of the screen and OS capabilities. If the iphone nana cant provide that same ease and comfort of use, whats the point. Do you think people will buy it just because its made by apple?

24. Jacqueclaude thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if any of you read gizmodo, but they found something interesting which rather changed my mind about the possibility of an iPhone nano.
    It does indeed sound absurd, but Apple may well want to dominate the mobile phone market. They're certainly doing well with the iPhone, so I don't see why they wouldn't want to branch out into something else.

25. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

An iPod touch nano is more likely