Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I just recently bought a really nice holder that clips into the air vents of my car. It was from ebay and had a nice swivel and sturdy construction. There is ONE issue. It doesnt fit my phone with the case on it!

I didnt have a case when i bought it, but now i have the griffin clarify, and it just will NEVER fit.

So i am looking for a similar holder that will either adjust to the phone's size, or will just fit any phone with case.

Suggestions are appreciated/

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
Type S makes some good universal vent holders. I have this one. Not the sexiest holder in the world, and it can't swivel, but it works great. Someone posted pics of theirs somewhere in this forum -- if I find it I'll post the link.

Here it is: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5964505/ the one I received was white, though. This one looks much sharper but I don't see it online anywhere.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
sparky, thanks for the link! I think thats going to be it.. good price, seems sturdy. I CAN live without the swivel..

techcrazy, thanks the the completely useless post, as that link was NOTHING like what i was asking for..

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Type S makes some good universal vent holders. I have this one. Not the sexiest holder in the world, and it can't swivel, but it works great. Someone posted pics of theirs somewhere in this forum -- if I find it I'll post the link.

Here it is: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5964505/ the one I received was white, though. This one looks much sharper but I don't see it online anywhere.

I tried to find that model from the Manufacturer and I don't see it. They must have discontinued it. I don't know why, I think it looks great and should work well with iPhones that are in a case. I'm using the DLO Vent Mount, but I have to keep removing the iPhone from the NEO to use it.

threezero

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
if you are willing to splurge a little. I recently got the Proclip system.

1 mount that is car specific that mounts on your car, and a holder that is phone specific.

best holder system i've even own well worth the money. They even have an adjustable one for the 3g than can accomodate case and the griffin work cause i have tried.

good luck

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I just ordered to S Type one for my car from Amazon. I couldnt find it from the MFG. either, but amazon is pretty good. I am happy. Bought a bunch of little things for my car.. a power splitter, a power cable for my GPS and this iphone clip. i will be riding in organized style.. woo hoo

ottoman1384

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
I bought the S-type at walmart for less then $6.
It doesn't say s-type but when u open it it does.

I returned it because you can't charge it while in the holder.

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
I returned it because you can't charge it while in the holder.

Sure ya can :p

typesq.jpg

btw, that's an ipod since I needed my iphone to take the picture.

Glad I could help, lindsayanng :) I think you'll be happy with it.

Moosemarty

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
Phone Holder

I found one at cellphoneshop.com that works very well for only $4.99

Item Number: HOL-UN100UNIV

CarlyLyon

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
type s is way nice but u should check local vendors at malls they sometimes have really nice for pretty cheap... or go to a private cell phone store

good luck

ottoman1384

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
Sure ya can :p

typesq.jpg

btw, that's an ipod since I needed my iphone to take the picture.

Glad I could help, lindsayanng :) I think you'll be happy with it.

I sit corrected.

I'm actually using it now and I love it!!

And once again, you can find the s-type at walmart for under $5.
It's under a generic brand but once you open it, it says s-type.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
For those looking for the Wal-Mart "Type S" mount, they may not be with the iPhone/iPod accessories. I wandered around the electronics department scratching my head before I thought to look with the auto accessories.

This is the package you're looking for.

Attachments

• Type-S.png
    Type-S.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 163

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I bought a nice Vent clip on cell phone holder at BestBuy tonight. It works good and I can put the phone in the holder in either direction, good for GPS apps. I had the phone in airplane mode so that's why the poor reception. Didn't notice till after I took the photos. The iPhone is the 3G and I took the photos with the 3GS.

It was $20 and incudes the vent clip or a gooseneck mount that attaches to the dash with 3M tape. Not sure if that would be strong enough to hold the holder and phone but it says it is.

photo11v.jpg

photo10h.jpg

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
vent clips make me nervous

blowing direct a/c on the phone or in winter it will be heat this is the only issue about them. bought one from a ebay seller but never use it.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I use the bracketron linked in eBay above, and I love it! If air blowing on the phone is a concern, most vents will have a valve to turn that vent on or off. I got my mount at Target for $20, its been rock solid so far. You can expand it to any width, and configure the supports to match your devices buttons/ports etc. It can also be rotated for landscape use. It will be put to the test next week when I'm on vacation, in a rental car. I also purchased the xtrememac incharge fm to power the iphone and send the signals to the rental car's FM stereo. I plan on using this setup with TomTom's new app while on the vacation, hopefully it works well. I will let you guys know!

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
haha.. this is an old thread but i have to say..

If you are concerned about AIR blowing on your phone, you got some issues.. AC or HEAT in a car is not going to be hot enough or cold enough to do anything to your phone. People have left their phone on the dash of their cars for hours in the sun where it can easily get over 100 degrees and no issues.. so heat in the car is not going to do anything..

and on the other hand, pleanty of people in Colorado have an iphone and stick it in a waterproof case and go snowboarding and skiing when its below 0 degrees.. so my AC and HEAT is not going to do much

Dont be scaredof some air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.