iPhone: Cash woes (Need experience!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Menacer, Jan 4, 2008.

1. The Menacer macrumors member

I called my local Apple store twice yester day to ask one question. Can I buy an iPhone with cash? The first response I got was a chuckled "Of course..." The second response (from a different person) said "You can buy a gift card with the cash you have and then buy the iPhone."

My problem is this: I got two Apple gift cards for Christmas, and I saved up money from computer work that I do (I'm 15) to get an iPhone. In order for me to get an iPhone, I will have 3 gift cards. But I've heard they won't let you buy it with gift cards, and that you have to charge some of the price to a credit card. being as I'm only fifteen, I don't have a credit card. If worse comes to worse, I COULD have my dad put $20 of my money on his card. But, then I will be paying with

1.) a credit card
    2.) gift card
    3.) gift card
    4.) gift card

I don't know if Apple will accept that many different types of payments for one transaction. If you have any experience in this area (buying with cash, etc.) let me know.

2. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Just steal one. It will be easier in the long run. You will get caught, processed, get given a Behaviour Order and be out to enjoy your stashed iPhone long before they swipe all them dam gift cards and aruge the toss if you can even use them.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

well .. that last post was meaningless .... if your local apple store said you can use cash and gift cards, then i see no problem .. and they should be able to split your bill as many ways as needed .... i would still bring the Credit card just in case ....

4. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

You have to have a credit card in the payment mix somewhere. Period.

So your credit card, gift card, gift card gift card scenario is fine.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Based on other users experiences, it seems to be different from store to store ...

6. The Menacer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Drumjim85. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with such a major bill split?

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think they can bend the rules. Only reason they don't let people use cash is because of the fact they go buy them in buik and sell them on ebay to make a profit.

Still though, it's a Apple giftcard, and it shouldn't matter at all. Money is money.

8. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Unfortunately, I had the experience of working for Meijer as a cashier. I split bills between all sorts of payment methods. People would pay with 2 credit cards, a gift card, and cash if you let them. They can do it, I'm almost positive. If they make a fuss, ask to speak to a manager and tell them they're near losing your business.

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

If its any help the Apple store online only allows for two combined payments. I've only had one in-store experience and that was a bit messed up. I used an American Express Pre-Paid credit card combined with my own credit card. The guy kept trying to run the AmEx card as a gift card. Eventually he figured it out and the two-way split was fine. I don't know if the stores are like online. I'd think if it was merely Apple gift cards combined with another real form of payment you'd be ok.

By the way, is your Dad going to activate the phone as well or are you tagging onto an existing AT&T account? After all, at 15 you're not going to be able to activate it yourself.

10. The Menacer thread starter macrumors member

We have a family plan so I'm going to add the iPhone data plan on to my line. On the Apple Store online, you can enter up to one credit card and four gift cards together, but again, I'm not sure about in-store.

11. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Another option for you is to go to Wal Mart or similiar and get a Visa Gift Card with your extra cash that you earned. This works like a credit card becuase it is and is usable anywhere...then combine it with your apple gift cards and you are good to go...yes they can process all of the methods with one purchase

Good Luck and Enjoy

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Trust me, you're going to be fine instore.

You still need your Dad's SSN number when activating, just a FYI.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

No, the rules of having to use a credit card also required you to have your name on the card ... unlike a visa gift card ...

14. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Just called up the local Apple store and asked them if there was any limitation on the number of forms of payment (eg. one credit card, 3 gift cards) and after being on hold for five minutes the lady on the phone (Tracy, Easton Town Center) said: "We allow up to six forms of payment. So if you have six gift cards and a credit card, what we would do is combine them and run them as one, plus the credit card"

Sounds like you're in luck!

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Ok...if you say so, even though I just did it at the Louisville Apple Store. Just another option.

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Ah, they've changed that since I ordered something online last. At that point it was divisable across two payment sources. I guess it's been a while since I've ordered anything from Apple. If that's the case then the store system probably runs off the same major processing system and the same rules would apply.

At the store I was in (Atlantic City) the guy I dealt with also said their little handheld transaction units varied from what could be done versus the back of store checkout area. He had to go back there to run that AmEx prepaid.

17. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

thanks for reading!

18. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Sweet.

That was supposed to have been the change made when they tightened down on the phones. I saw a lot of comments directly reflecting what you said. I did ask about exactly that at the AT&T store when I got mine and the girl said they didn't care at all. I guess that still never changed in those stores. She also said their quantity restriction had been lifted.

19. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

You mean like this?

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

No ... The rules are what they are ... but every store seems to follow them differently ....

21. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Thank you...that is all that I was saying and giving the OP another possible option.

Avaloncourt is also right cause I just called both and they said the same thing...the restricions have been loosend up and also AT&T here in KY could care less how you pay.

Don't burn your bridge till after you cross.

22. The Menacer thread starter macrumors member

Well, keep your fingers crossed! Thanks for everything, everybody.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you don't mind, and no offense, why do you need an iPhone when you're only 15? Besides the iPod part of it.

24. bostonte macrumors regular

I bought one before Christmas with cash, so *someone* in the store has the power to bend the rules and even do all cash.

I always deal with my store's one business sales rep, so she does know me and had good reason to trust it was a "legitimate" sale within Apple's point of view. She did ask for my license, and appeared to type the number into the computer.

If you show up at the store (I would bring your father just incase you need the credit card or license) and are firm but nice, I would like to believe they would take cash from you as well.

There is a reason for the rules, but its retarded not to allow some degree of flexability. I imagine they sell a reasonable amount to younger folk adding to a family plan who do not have a credit card.

BTW, the Greendot prepaid cards at many grocery and convenience stores come with a temporary card -- but after registering online they mail you one properly embossed with your name. If you want to cut out the obstacles, that could be easiest.

I hope you enjoy your phone