Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
I have problems with my iPhone 6s Plus cellular data. It works for a few minutes and then dies for another several minutes. Then, the cycle is repeated. When it's dead (it's like the speed is 0 - connection seems to be alive, but nothing downloads/uploads), it helps to turn airplane mode for a while and then disable it. But it's, again, only working for a few minutes after that.

I replaced my SIM card, but it didn't help. Also, I was abroad for a few weeks and experienced the same issue with foreign SIM card.

What can be the cause of this issue? Is there anything I can do? It's super annoying.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Anyone? Recently I use iPhone hotspot more often and it keeps dying too. So annoying. It's back to life almost instantly after restarting cellular data + hotspot, so I guess the connection itself is good.

By the way, is it normal that sometimes I need to switch the hotspot on and off several times for my connection to be found by my MacBook? I have always experienced that. Sometimes it works after 1st time, sometimes I need to toggle on/off like 5 times.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
I think I have my issue fixed now. What I did was reinstalling iOS via iTunes. I was told that this way everything gets cleared out, as opposite of reinstalling on iPhone directly, which keeps some settings. So what I did was doing a backup to iCloud directly on iPhone (I needed to buy 50 GB option and it took a few hours to backup) and then using iTunes to reset my iPhone and restoring it with iCloud backup. Looks like the problem is solved, cellular data no longer dies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.