iPhone Charger Catches fire in car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moka, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. moka macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Location:
    California
    #1
    This is a note from a local chemical plant employee that had a bad experience with results that could have been tragic. This is also a good reminder that all garages should be equipped with working smoke detectors or fire alarms.


     

    Attached Files:

  2. anjinha macrumors 604

    anjinha

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2006
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #2
    How could the charger overheat if the car was turned off? :confused:
     
  3. spillproof macrumors 68020

    spillproof

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #3
    oh my frisbee! Good thing I never do leave stuff plugged in.

    Some cars still give power to the sockets after the engine is off by the battery.
     
  4. The Californian macrumors 68040

    The Californian

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2009
    Location:
    Surfers Paradise
    #4
    Guess i'll stop complaining that my truck doesn't charge while my truck is off.
     
  5. Resist macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #5
    I think that's because the charger was not the real cause. Why would anyone leave their iPhone plugged in and charging when their vehicle's engine is off to begin with? I am calling shenanigans.
     
  6. Chard macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    #6
    Most new vehicles have a 12V outlet that is always on.
    Besides I don't see anywhere in the OP that their iPhone was plugged in at the time of the fire.

    The only time leaving a device plugged into your vehicles 12V outlet is a problem is it could kill your battery if it's drawing power or if, as apparently happened in the OP, the device is faulty and does exactly this.

    I'm all for calling 'shenanigans' in a knee jerk fashion when it comes to the internet but make sure your logic is firm.

    If this is a one off incident then we wont hear anymore about it. BUT, after seeing this I won't be ignoring the fact that my own charger gets quite hot, enough to give me pause when I noticed, and will definitely be more wary of the quality.
     
  7. caligurl macrumors 68030

    caligurl

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    socal
    #7
    the way i understand it is.... they left the charger plugged in.... not the iphone itself!

    i do that.... leave my cable plugged in all the time.... however i leave it plugged into the one that is only powered when the car it on... it's easier (lazy) for me to just plug the phone in when i need to rather than having to also plug in the charger, which is in my center console.

    we did add an always on plug but i only use it on rare occasions and when i'm done using it i unplug that cable so as to not run down my battery!
     
  8. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

    Maverick1337

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    #8
    Yes, the charger was plugged in. I have had this happen before (not severely) but I had this converter to plug my ipod into and it played music through the radio station i set it to. I unplugged my ipod from my car but left the charger plugged in. I came out the next morning to find that my battery was dead. So indeed the car's battery is still running through the sockets, it just doesn't have the engine to keep recharging the battery. So basically the car's battery just forced too much power into the charger, and the charger overheated causing the fire.
     
  9. richmonddjs macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2009
    Location:
    Richmond, Va.
    #9
    My Dodge Charger has the 12V outlet in the console which is always on.
     
  10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

    Knowlege Bomb

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #11
    Put a new windshield in and it should be drivable. ;)

    On a serious note, I will certainly be unplugging my charger at the end of the day from now on.
     
  11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    Location:
    US of A
    #12
    This is probably one of those fake FW FW FW FW FW FW to 1,000,000 people emails that make the rounds. It's all over the web.
     
  12. kc350twin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    #14
    If my eyes serve me right the two 12v ports are the ones at the bottom and one has the cover open? There is no damage to it. I would think it would look charred and also the fuse should have protected this from happening. I don't know maybe it could. I'm def. not CSI.

    Probably a eBay charger. If it happens to me I hope it totals it. :)
     
  13. spillproof macrumors 68020

    spillproof

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    Why does it have to be fake or a chain letter? It is possible for a top-of-the-line product to catch fire, it doesn't have to be an "ebay" charger. Whether or not it was an iPhone charger, it is still possible.

    I can see what you are getting at, but the charred part is right above the socket, which if it was the charger that caught fire, the charing is consistent. I want to be a CSI lol but I can still be wrong.
     
  14. Resist macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #16
    It makes no sense to leave a charger plugged into the outlet in a vehicle, even if a device is not plugged into that charger. The reason is because some chargers have electronics inside them that would still be using electricity, thus making the charger an energy vampire and can run down your vehicle's battery. And if the OP's story is true, then this is another reason not to leave it plugged in.

    I always unplug electronics when not in use in my vehicle.
     
  15. Mischka07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2009
    #17
    I'm pretty sure my 4Runner does not leave the 12V outlet on after I turn off the car. I didn't read this in the manual, but the fact that my TomTom has a pop-up message saying "Unit unplugged, powering off in 5...4..3..." tells me that the 12V is effectively off. As such, I feel fine leaving my chargers plugged into the 12V. Is this not good?
     
  16. Resist macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #18
    As long as the outlet is not powered, it's fine.

    But I would unplug it anyway because we are creatures of habit and you may end up leaving the charger plugged in with another vehicle where the outlet is always powered on.
     
  17. DigMe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    #20
  18. Rephinbar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #21
    Fire in the Suburban

    We just had our 2007 Suburban go up in flames this morning! However, although we had an ipod charger plugged in, the fire started in the driver door which seems completly unrelated to the iPod charger story above.

    What I'm interested to know is how did the insurance company treat this claim? Was the truck considered a write off? Did you get GM involved? Was this covered under their warranty?

    It seems to me, that no matter what you leave plugged in the car or truck the only acceptable risk is a drained battery but NEVER EVER a fire - I consider that a design flaw.

    Would love to hear thoughts on this.
     
  19. CZK, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

    CZK macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
  20. CZK, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  21. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

    Vinnie Madrox

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    HowELL, NJ
    #25
    not me, i just took the picture off BGR's web site when the story broke :p
     

Share This Page