Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I paid 12 months already so I can upgraded next week last month.

Why do I keep getting charged 49 dollars still ?

The loan is for two years, so Citizens will continue to charge monthly payments for the remaining year until you upgrade or pay it off early. From their perspective, they loaned you the amount to purchase the device, and they expect monthly payments until it's paid off or until you upgrade. They don't suspend charging you after one year of payments: they can't suspend payments based on a customer's intent to upgrade. Citizens expects the loan to be paid in full or to be continued on a new device. I'm guessing that if you upgrade this month, they'll apply the 13th payment to the new device (but I don't know that for sure).

Reactions: ckurt25

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Above is correct, it's technically a loan and they still will charge you even if you already made 12 month payment. Really you should have hold off on making early payments because you technically can pay the remaining 2 month at check out.

Have you not paid off early, when you upgrade to the next iphone, they'd only charge you the remaining 2 month payment at check out, now you end up paying additional month.
[doublepost=1536332015][/doublepost]
The loan is for two years, so Citizens will continue to charge monthly payments for the remaining year until you upgrade or pay it off early. From their perspective, they loaned you the amount to purchase the device, and they expect monthly payments until it's paid off or until you upgrade. They don't suspend charging you after one year of payments: they can't suspend payments based on a customer's intent to upgrade. Citizens expects the loan to be paid in full or to be continued on a new device. I'm guessing that if you upgrade this month, they'll apply the 13th payment to the new device (but I don't know that for sure).
It all depends on how it goes with ordering. Since they already charged him the 13th payment, OP may need to contact either Apple or Citizen Loan and ask how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipper99

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
It all depends on how it goes with ordering. Since they already charged him the 13th payment, OP may need to contact either Apple or Citizen Loan and ask how it works.

True, contact Apple or Citizens to be sure. I paid my year off early because I was afraid of unforeseen hiccups in the ordering process since my 12th payment would process on Keynote Day. My preorder would most likely not have an issue, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
True, contact Apple or Citizens to be sure. I paid my year off early because I was afraid of unforeseen hiccups in the ordering process since my 12th payment would process on Keynote Day. My preorder would most likely not have an issue, but I didn't want to take a chance.
I started iUP on October 2016 for the iPhone 7 Plus. So when I upgraded to iPHone 8 Plus, it happens that my 12th payment was right on the day pre-order started so meaning Citizen Loan would have automatically charge me the 12th payment. However at check out, Apple didn't see that so obviously they charged me as if I hadn't made an additional payment. Either way, I didn't contact them but Citizen loan ended up crediting me back the payment since it showed on their system that I was charge twice. While this isn't the same case with OP, he'll just have to reach out.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Many (most? all?) on the iUP made extra payments on the 7S before upgrading to the X. People were complaining last year about having to make extra payments. We were still using the phones beyond 12 months so it made sense we had to make those payments, at least to me. Others didn't quite get the concept.

I was wondering what happened if people made payments early and if they'd get changed a 13th time. It looks like that is happening.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Many (most? all?) on the iUP made extra payments on the 7S before upgrading to the X. People were complaining last year about having to make extra payments. We were still using the phones beyond 12 months so it made sense we had to make those payments, at least to me. Others didn't quite get the concept.

I was wondering what happened if people made payments early and if they'd get changed a 13th time. It looks like that is happening.
Well if some are smart enough they probably can hold off on making early payments as you can make the 11th and 12th payment at check out when you upgrade to the newest iphone. I believe this is the first time OP has been on iUP so I don't think he knew about this but I'm pretty sure OP does now.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

Mine was done early so it goes smooth next week.
[doublepost=1536336545][/doublepost]
Well if some are smart enough they probably can hold off on making early payments as you can make the 11th and 12th payment at check out when you upgrade to the newest iphone. I believe this is the first time OP has been on iUP so I don't think he knew about this but I'm pretty sure OP does now.
Will I get an email once the preaproval starts to start that process ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.