Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
There was a point recently, where the ads appearing on iPhone.com, began to cross the line of someone simply looking to run a business, and someone who was clearly deriving profit from Apple, Inc's joint trademark with Cisco. The whole descent into ad-monger was detailed in a previous article, and is experted below. Apparently, Apple has finally caught up with them, and however it has been worked out, the domain name now uses Apple's nameservers, and redirects to Apple's iPhone website joining iPhone.org is Apple's iPhone domain name portfolio. It seems like this was only a matter of time, and could possibly have already been in progress when the ads began to show up last week.

Clearly, advertising competitive products under a trademarked domain name (ie. music playing phones), is NOT the way to go if you wish to keep your domain name. Odds are however, the previous owner has agreed not to discuss the settlement (or near-miss legal action).

More details:
http://www.myphonewar.com/index/news-updates/busted-iphone.com-now-owned-by-apple-inc..html

You could really tell they didn't care anymore and were cashing in. Hopefully someone cut Mike a really really big check. "Cell phones that play music", how's that NOT going to set off alarms? :D

~ CB

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
wasnt iphone.com cisco's? i dont really understand the article

Cisco owned the iPhone trademark
Apple owned iPhone.org
Another company owned iPhone.com

Now, Apple owns iPhone.org and iPhone.com.

arn

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Cisco owned the iPhone trademark
Apple owned iPhone.org
Another company owned iPhone.com
Now, Apple owns iPhone.org and iPhone.com.
arn
That about wraps it up.
I think its strange for people to realize that not every big trademark owns the .com, which usually amounts to lots of traffic to said owner. For a while, the biggest was WWF.com, until the WWF became the WWE (for a completely unrelated reason).

I'm just shocked that the owner of iPhone.com just decided to cash in at the last moment (with the ads instead of the previous redirt to the Internet Company business). From what I understand, if they had simply approached Apple or Cisco demanding some form of payment, this could have been grounds for getting the name taken from them as a cybersquatter, whereas, putting up ads for similar products, while not clearly disclaiming any relationship to Apple & Cisco's mark amounts to a similar faux pas. Somewhere in all that a deal got worked out.

There was a recent article here about iPhone domain names:
http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/06/iphone-domains/
Talks about the sky rocketing iPhone domain name registrations. Considering Jobs' statements to the owner of myiPhone.com during the WWDC, I wonder where any of that will go. All these owners need to do is try to brand the name and start selling t-shirts and mugs to get into trouble. That's been my thought.

~ CB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.