iPhone.com - BUSTED!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cleverboy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    More details:
    http://www.myphonewar.com/index/news-updates/busted-iphone.com-now-owned-by-apple-inc..html

You could really tell they didn't care anymore and were cashing in. Hopefully someone cut Mike a really really big check. "Cell phones that play music", how's that NOT going to set off alarms? :D

~ CB

2. DanB91 macrumors 6502

wasnt iphone.com cisco's? i dont really understand the article

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Nope, it was just some site with advertisements on it.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Cisco owned the iPhone trademark
    Apple owned iPhone.org
    Another company owned iPhone.com

Now, Apple owns iPhone.org and iPhone.com.

arn

5. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    That about wraps it up.
    I think its strange for people to realize that not every big trademark owns the .com, which usually amounts to lots of traffic to said owner. For a while, the biggest was WWF.com, until the WWF became the WWE (for a completely unrelated reason).

I'm just shocked that the owner of iPhone.com just decided to cash in at the last moment (with the ads instead of the previous redirt to the Internet Company business). From what I understand, if they had simply approached Apple or Cisco demanding some form of payment, this could have been grounds for getting the name taken from them as a cybersquatter, whereas, putting up ads for similar products, while not clearly disclaiming any relationship to Apple & Cisco's mark amounts to a similar faux pas. Somewhere in all that a deal got worked out.

There was a recent article here about iPhone domain names:
    http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/06/iphone-domains/
    Talks about the sky rocketing iPhone domain name registrations. Considering Jobs' statements to the owner of myiPhone.com during the WWDC, I wonder where any of that will go. All these owners need to do is try to brand the name and start selling t-shirts and mugs to get into trouble. That's been my thought.

~ CB