iPhone Coming to Boost Mobile in September?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of Cricket's announcement yesterday that it will become the first U.S. prepaid carrier to offer the iPhone later this month, TechnoBuffalo reports that Boost Mobile will begin offering the device in early September. The report adds that the prepaid carrier, which is a subsidiary of Sprint, will offer both the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4.
It remains uncertain if the Sprint-powered MVNO will offer its popular $50 Month Unlimited plan with Shrinkage, which includes unlimited talk, text and web, which also rewards customers who pay their bill on time by reducing their monthly bill by $5 down to as low as $35 per month.

An early September launch for the iPhone 4S on Boost Mobile would come perhaps just weeks before Apple is expected to introduce the next-generation iPhone.

TechnoBuffalo does not have a significant track record of Apple rumors, and a debut so close to the introduction of new iPhone hardware would seem to be an odd choice unless Boost would not be permitted to offer the next-generation iPhone for some time after its introduction. Consequently, we do have some skepticism about this report and are publishing it on our iOS blog for interest and discussion.

Article Link: iPhone Coming to Boost Mobile in September?

Amadeo

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I don't see this outside of the realm of possibility. When Verizon got the iPhone, it was well after the release of the 4. It wasn't a new phone at that point. I could very much see a prepaid carrier being treated similarly, getting a year-old model as the latest and greatest is made available on contract carriers. Not really all that farfetched if you think about it...

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I remember the days if the iDEN network and all of the i series phones. i860, i880. I loved the direct connect (Boost Walkie Talkie) feature. Obviously iDEN is good for that and phone calls. Texting and data don't work well on the iDEN network.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
I can't find any numbers of number of Boost customers. I imagine it's in the low single digit millions.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I think that Boost Mobile's idea of rewarding customers with "shrinkage" is really cool. That would work on me in the same way that my grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T holds me to them stronger than my contract does.

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
Considering Boost Mobile is Sprints prepaid company, it's a good possibility this will happen.
Sprint also has Virgin Mobile in the States. I've been on VM's case for a year to get an iPhone out here, since they have them in Australia and Canada already. VM changed their policy late last month to exclude customers like myself from staying grandfathered in we bought new hardware, so I was hoping that was the clue that iPhones were coming. I'd have happily taken the bump up to $35 a month to stay with them and have an iPhone. No such luck yet.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
If Cricket and Boost are getting the iPhone, MetroPCS must be getting it too. It's amazing how in a period of 2 years, we went from only one carrrier, AT&T, to every carrier, even the small ones. I can imagine some people are not too happy that the exclusivity of the iPhone is completely gone.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
. I can imagine some people are not too happy that the exclusivity of the iPhone is completely gone.
Yeah those people are called ******s. :p Though this is exactly like the RAZR back in 2005. Suddenly everybody and their mother had one.

My question is though... if I buy the boost model can I hop over to Sprint? Doesn't Cricket use Sprint's CDMA as well?

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I remember when the FCC put up the analog TV frequencies that they stated the carriers must allow customers to bring their own phones if the carrier purchased the frequencies. I know some did, so why is this rule not being enforced?

I personally think you should be able to buy a phone anywhere and it should be able to be used on all carriers. You would need to fulfill your contract; however, locks should not be permitted to accomplish this.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
If Cricket and Boost are getting the iPhone, MetroPCS must be getting it too. It's amazing how in a period of 2 years, we went from only one carrrier, AT&T, to every carrier, even the small ones.
This does not automatically mean that MetroPCS is getting the iPhone.

MetroPCS is in a bit of an odd position. They have an existing 2.5G network based on GSM/GPRS/EDGE. They never built out a 3G UTMS/HSPA network. Thus the current iPhone hardware will only connect at EDGE speeds.

MetroPCS is building out a 4G LTE network, but it is unknown if the next generation iPhone handset will work on MetroPCS's LTE frequencies. We've already seen how the third-generation iPad's LTE implementation does not allow it to connect to LTE networks apart from AT&T and Verizon's.

Even if an Apple device could eventually connect to MetroPCS's 4G LTE network, there would be no 3G service to fall back to. Outside of the LTE reception area, the device would fall back to pokey EDGE.

I can imagine some people are not too happy that the exclusivity of the iPhone is completely gone.
I don't understand who would care about the iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) as a status symbol. It's 2012 and I live in Silicon Valley: smartphones here are a dime a dozen. Just because I have an iPhone doesn't make me special. The same with an Android phone.

It would be as immature as being unhappy that other people have CD changers in their cars.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
To me this a MEH issue. Yeah it's great that there are more carriers, sort of. It's great that we are getting more variety in pricing, sort of.

But this is prepaid and while it's not on contract we still can't move around. If I get a Boost phone the only place I could possible go is to parent company Sprint. Because those phones are software ID'd only to go on their network. I can't take it to Verizon. I suppose IF they get the world phone 4s model I could jailbreak and unlock the sim card (which will likely be locked to Sprint's roaming service same as the current ones and the verizon ones).
but that's basically my choices. I still can't pay as you go, I still can't say I don't need cell data service all the time and skip that part of the bill unless for some month or so I do need it and I turn it on iPad style.

So really what advantages is this to make it so amazing. little that I see. I save perhaps $10 a month but I had to shell out $300 more for my phone so there's no savings in the end.

----------

MetroPCS is in a bit of an odd position. They have an existing 2.5G network based on GSM/GPRS/EDGE. They never built out a 3G UTMS/HSPA network. Thus the current iPhone hardware will only connect at EDGE speeds.
There are, shocking to hear, some folks that like the iPhone for the UI and don't use it as their internet connection. So they wouldn't really mind that the phone is just on EDGE so long as they get a good price for voice and text and can get on wifi when they are around it.

Actually I'm becoming one of those folks myself. I do 99% of my mobile internet on my iPad so if I could take my iPhone after contract, get it unlocked and go to something like MetroPCS for voice and texting I'd be fine with that.

MoonDogg

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Arkansas
I suppose IF they get the world phone 4s model I could jailbreak and unlock the sim card (which will likely be locked to Sprint's roaming service same as the current ones and the verizon ones).
but that's basically my choices.
CDMA don't use SIM cards.. you would have to get a ESN and IMEI number from a Verizon phone, and put it on your phone to move it to Verizon.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
This and the Cricket wireless announcement are great news for the apple marketshare

Hopefully boost will keep some sort of affordable deal for the iphone.

The problem is their network... It sucks.. I had them for a year recently... $60 for unlimited blackberry was a steal but the coverage was miniscule :-/

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
This and the Cricket wireless announcement are great news for the apple marketshare

Hopefully boost will keep some sort of affordable deal for the iphone.

The problem is their network... It sucks.. I had them for a year recently... $60 for unlimited blackberry was a steal but the coverage was miniscule :-/
doesn't it just use Sprint's towers? Or will this be iDEN?

Macintosh-HD

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I don't understand who would care about the iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter) as a status symbol. It's 2012 and I live in Silicon Valley: smartphones here are a dime a dozen. Just because I have an iPhone doesn't make me special. The same with an Android phone.

It would be as immature as being unhappy that other people have CD changers in their cars.
That's just what I was thinking... Smartphones now are even a dime a dozen here in TN. To tell you the truth, I thought I was cool last year when I got my first 'smartphone', now it just seems like the market is flooded with them. I'd say smartphones are in the 'Late Majority' product stage by now.

I guess the only way a smartphone could be considered a 'status symbol' nowadays is if you're middle schooler :rolleyes:

alwaysaangel

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Really? I have great coverage with them, but then I'm usually in big cities/suburbs rarely in rural areas so maybe thats the difference.

Since its the sprint network I always have nice clear service even in the hospital I work at where most people with AT&T have no bars.

But anyway - I'm really hoping this will happen. I've been with Boost for 2 years because I talk on the phone a lot and the unlimited minutes at an affordable rate is necessary for me. I've been hoping they would get an iphone - heck I'd even pay 500-600 for it. Still will save $$ in the long term over spending $100/month on a cell bill.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
My question is though... if I buy the boost model can I hop over to Sprint? Doesn't Cricket use Sprint's CDMA as well?
No, Cricket (leap wireless) operates their own network. They may roam on sprint/verizon, but they aren't an MVNO.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
That's just what I was thinking... Smartphones now are even a dime a dozen here in TN. To tell you the truth, I thought I was cool last year when I got my first 'smartphone', now it just seems like the market is flooded with them. I'd say smartphones are in the 'Late Majority' product stage by now.

I guess the only way a smartphone could be considered a 'status symbol' nowadays is if you're middle schooler :rolleyes:
You dont say. It might be right In the US. High end smartphone become the norm since the majority pay a subsidiary price upfront. It's "cheap" with 2 years contract.

But on emerging countries, iPhone or ocassionally a hi end Android handset IS a status symbol. They usually buy it off contract, so it's true that they actually pay $800 for their phone.

As immature as it sounds, in some places, iPhone used to show off how successful you have been. Or how sexy they really are .. Only bosses or wannabes and spoiled kids would buy it.

It's a phone, a messaging device, an Angry Bird machine, a status symbol, and maybe a chick magnet too.
Pretty good deal for $800 huh :D :D

birdhouse1575

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
I am a five months away from capping at a fully shrunk plan pricing via shrinkage. My iPhone plan would be amazingly cheap, but paying several hundred dollars for the phone itself would be a frown on my bank...

Then again, maybe they'll allow in some Sprint iPhones following the addition to Boost. I currently have a Sprint-branded LG phone on Boost Mobile, maybe they can do me another favor! :cool:

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand

What's with this looking cool bit. Who the hell cares!

It's the matter of having a good product with top support and a closed system are the smart people. Not cool but smart. Apple all the way.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Cricket and Boost are getting the iPhone, MetroPCS must be getting it too. It's amazing how in a period of 2 years, we went from only one carrrier, AT&T, to every carrier, even the small ones. I can imagine some people are not too happy that the exclusivity of the iPhone is completely gone.
ATT had a multi-year exclusivity agreement. Once that expired/was terminated it was in Apple's interest to get them to any carrier that could afford them. (Remember Apple sells them at full boat to cellcos).

I imagine what we'll see happen here is the main Cellcos will always get the newest model on launch day and the MVNOs will follow on a delayed basis -- 3 or 6 months later. Or some MVNOs may opt only to buy the previous models b/c they'll be less expensive.

For example, let's assume Boost does start with the iPhone 4 and iPhone S in Sept just as the iPhone 5 (or whatever it's called) launches. Boost would not carry the iPhone 5 for many months after its launch.

appleaddictx

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I will wait until Metro PCS can wok out their 4G problem and the new iPhone is compatible with that 4G. I personally only want that carrier to be an iCarrier because I am always surrounded by ads for the carrier with that horrific little green Android THING hugging all of the little phones on the billboards. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.