iPhone compatible in-ear headphones for MacWorld?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by fishmoose, Dec 16, 2008.

?

Will they release an iPhone compatible version of the in-ear headphones?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2009.
  1. Yes, they probably will at macworld!

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No!

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Since the new in-ear headphones volume control don't work for the iPhone/3G, do you think Apple will release a version without volume control at MacWorld or a version with volume control that works for the iPhone?

I know volume control isn't that much of a big deal but since Apple gives no hints whatsoever that these headphones work for the iPhone on there website besides the support document, maybe they're planing on releasing an iPhone version?

This was just a thought i had when i couldn't sleep yesterday, so don't flame me if it's a stupid thread ;)

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

My hunch - Nope.

I'm looking forward (hopefully) to Mac World to dismiss some of the rumors going around :p (iPhone Nano)

3. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah the iphone Nano idea sounds stupid to me to, it would be hard to write on such device.

But I don't know about the headphones :p I think there is a chance :p

4. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

They'll just make the current ones compatible... why sell a whole different product?

5. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but they can't without doing hardware revisions?
    So they need a new product or remove the volume control

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I think we'll see a hardware revision (probably along with a memory upgrade) that will include the additional connector necessary to make the headphones 100% compatible.

7. comacnut macrumors member

If they wanted the headphones to be iPhone compatible they would have done so in the original launch. I'm puzzled why they didn't but it's unlikely they'd take the time to do so just a few months after the original launch.

8. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Why can't the volume control be used on an iPhone? I'd love to be able to have the feature set in my headphones.... what's wrong hardware wise?

9. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

As i understod it, the iphone is missing a fifth connector ring and the volume controller uses that fifth ring to set the volume.

Some people say this can be fixed anyway with a software update but the majority thinks it can't be fixed with software and therefor the next revision of the of the iPhone will have the fifth ring.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I SERIOUSLY doubt software will fix this. If it were that simple, the update would have been released when the earphones came out. Apple knows they would have sold a lot more if they were compatible, no way would they be waiting for it.

11. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Exactly and that's the point of this thread will apple release the same headphones without the volume controls at macworld?
    Or have they found away to control the volume with only four rings?

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

[​IMG]

Apple site for inear:

"Connector

Four-conductor 3.5 mm audio jack"

I dont no why you all think they have 5 ring connector because they definately DONT!!!

i really hope it can be fixed with software

13. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Then surely it has to be software? but if that's the case why havent Apple fixed it?

Maybe they want iPhone users to buy another set of headphones, they might be introduced at macworld? see where i'm coming from ;)

14. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

They work with all the current ipod (excluding the shuffle) and all the current unibooks! so surely they put the same 4 pin hardware inn all the products including the phones so it has to be software!

15. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Then i really hope they fix it!

Btw do you like the headphones are they worth the money?

16. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Yer, I loved them at first! Then i started having doubts after what I read on here! Now, I am very happy with them, my old ones have broken (the remote) so these were worth it. But i cant get the right ear to sit properly :( it is a little loose...

17. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay cool, but sound quality is good?
    I have experience with in-ear headphones and when they are loose you should go up a size on the rubber part that you can change, have you tried that?

18. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

they are iphone compatible. if you want to change the volume stick you hand in your pocket and click on the rocker. not that hard

19. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

yep i have large on both side

20. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I hope so but I thought the last firmware update (2.2?) was the perfect time to do it.
    Something tells me that its a h/w issue.
    Not a huge deal for me because the 3G has volume controls easily reached on the iphone.

21. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

the fact that these don't fully work on the iPhone makes me feel my iPhone is already out dated, when in truth its the latest.

22. gjw4u macrumors 6502

As the connector on the new in-ear is the same as the one on the original headphones shipped with the iPhone, I think Apple only needs to make a softwarechange. Let's hope the next firmware update does the trick.

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's a matter of allowing the iPhone to interpret the signal from the headphones. It's the same number of connections as before - 3 or 4, however you want to look at it (I say 3 but that argument has occurred) - and the iPhone just needs to "learn" how to read that new signal.

24. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

I received my in-ear headphones yesterday (they're great by the way)

As an iPhone 3G owner here's something, along with the above posts, that's helping me to cling on to the hope that Apple may release an update for the iPhone 3G that will enable use of the volume function.

On the back of the headphones box there's a sticky label that displays the information about the compatibility of the headphones (iPod nano 4th gen etc etc)

All the other information about the headphones is printed on the box itself. I'm hoping this means they've allowed for the fact that the compatibiity info may change, at which point they can apply an updated sticker to the box.

Desperate? Maybe, but I can hope...

25. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

As much as I want to believe it's software, I simply can't. Even if Apple released an update the day the earbuds were released, as 2.2.1, and the only thing it added was the compatibility issue, they would have sold a ton more. I just can't believe as much as they love profit, they would miss out on this opportunity at launch, for the iPhone, which is arguably Apple's flagship device.

I'm betting the house on hardware. Software doesn't make sense. I believe the new touch and ipods are wired differently to accept the use of the volume and such. I hope I'm wrong.