Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest data from digital media analytics firm comScore shows that Apple continues to increase its lead over Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC and other handset makers in U.S. smartphone market share, less than one week before the launch of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

iPhone-6-Side.jpg

iPhones captured 44.2% market share among U.S. smartphone subscribers aged 13 and older based on a three-month average ending July 2015, an increase of 1.1 percentage points over the preceding three month average.

comscore_smartphones_jul15-1.jpg

Samsung's smartphone share in the U.S. dropped to 27.3% in July 2015, a decline of 1.3 percentage points over April 2015. LG, Motorola and HTC rounded off the top five smartphone makers with 8.7%, 4.9% and 3.5% smartphone market share in the U.S. respectively.

Android remained the most widely adopted smartphone platform in the U.S. with 51.4% market share based on the July 2015 data, trailed by iOS with 44.2% market share. Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Symbian accounted for 2.9%, 1.3% and 0.1% market share in the U.S. respectively.

comscore-july-2015-smartphone-OS-share.jpg

Facebook ranked as the most popular smartphone app in the U.S. with 73.3% reach, according to comScore's Mobile Metrix. Facebook Messenger, YouTube, Google Search, Google Play, Google Maps, Pandora Radio, Gmail, Instagram and Yahoo Stocks rounded off the top ten apps.

Apple is set to announce the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus at its September 9th media event in San Francisco.

Article Link: iPhone Continues to Increase Lead in U.S. Smartphone Market Share Ahead of 'iPhone 6s' Debut

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Considering Apple, (and certainly most of the MR fanboys), supposedly hate Google/Android, there's an awful lot of their stuff in the top 10.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
What about world marketshare? Which amounts to a majority of handsets sold?

I think since many third world countries have "smartphones" in use that are actually so low specced, they are actually simply basic phones... we've all realized that info from the United States is FAR more telling as to what is going on momentumwise in the high end smartphone world.
By all means though, if you personally are interested in a metric that is completely meaningless to any of the rest of us here... go seek it out!
Just don't be surprised that it won't make an article here, as it is irrelevant to us and the things we discuss here.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Considering Apple, (and certainly most of the MR fanboys), supposedly hate Google/Android, there's an awful lot of their stuff in the top 10.

Apple Employees and people who post on MacRumors forums are a very small minority of all iPhone owners.

Going through my own iPhone, the only app from Google on it is Google Maps which I don't recall the last time I used. It was at least 10 weeks ago, given that Cellular Data usage shows that I haven't used it since the last time I reset those statistics.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
We're in a different security environment (for smartphones) than we were 4 years ago and Android and Windows Phone (unless Microsoft drastically changes thing with v10 for mobile) update process aren't designed for the current environment. For Android and Windows Phone the hardware makers and then the service providers each have to take part in integrating and then rolling security patches out that come from Google / Microsoft - and both have little financial interest in doing so...and generally don't).

I would expect the iPhone and Apple's long term support (4 years of OS & security updates) of their hardware (most Android is a year if that) will continue to gain market-share as Android and Windows Phone current update model just won't work in this environment where security updates need to get out quick, often and keep doing so for years.

Seems like Blackberry is about the only other mobile OS vendor that can do something similar to Apple (although they need to be around to do so). Over time this will have some affect on the user numbers. JMHO...

Last edited:

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
That makes no sense. Of course there is because there are not any other options.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
KGI Securities stated though that the iPhone 6S sales will not grow beyond the iPhone 6:

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/11/iphone-6s-could-face-negative/

Funnily enough one of the reasons is a slowdown in Chinese sales, I posted on here that China was one of the main reasons the iPhone 6 did so well as it was a new market to Apple.

So it will be interesting to see what happens.

There will be a point when iPhone growth stops. In other words... there will be a quarter when iPhone sales do not outsell the same quarter the previous year.

And people will freak the fsck out.

But at that point... Apple will be selling iPhones at a rate of well over 250 million units every year... so it's not like they will be going bankrupt or anything.

Apple figured out the secret:

1. Sell a fsckton of phones
2. Make a lot of money on each phone sold

Most companies do neither.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Seriously. I want iPhone market share to drop 25% and then Tim Cook announce a poor performance quarter - then, just MAYBE, my stock will increase. :-(

LOL! It sure feels like that's what's got to happen sometimes!

I can't wait until the 9th... it's going to be an interesting day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.