Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
What about world marketshare? Which amounts to a majority of handsets sold?
I'm not sure how that is relevant to this report. Also, all markets are not created equal.

Considering Apple, (and certainly most of the MR fanboys), supposedly hate Google/Android, there's an awful lot of their stuff in the top 10.
That statement almost makes no sense. Plus, you realize that in the most recent quarter ending July 2015, Apple had a market share of 44.2% which is virtually tied with the next four top competitors of Samsung, LG, Motorola and HTC combined at 44.4%.

deepen03

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2010
The only news I see here is that Android leads Apple by 7 pct.. next story please.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So as we already knew, most other manufacturers sell far less high end phones than Apple, let alone actually profit from them.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'm not sure how that is relevant to this report. Also, all markets are not created equal.

That statement almost makes no sense. Plus, you realize that in the most recent quarter ending July 2015, Apple had a market share of 44.2% which is virtually tied with the next four top competitors of Samsung, LG, Motorola and HTC combined at 44.4%.
You missed the part in the article where it was stated that;

Facebook ranked as the most popular smartphone app in the U.S. with 73.3% reach, according to comScore's Mobile Metrix. Facebook Messenger, YouTube, Google Search, Google Play, Google Maps, Pandora Radio, Gmail, Instagram and Yahoo Stocks rounded off the top ten apps.

There's a lot of Google and not much Apple in those services.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
As a huge apple fan, I have to admit that unless there is a big surprise in store for the 9th, I am more excited about the Apple TV than the phone. Maybe they will announce a 4" phone again. Maybe they will call it iOS Maverick and iPhone Maverick. Who knows, but the Apple TV with an App Store, Siri, and a new controller for games seems way more exciting than a slightly thicker phone with a slightly faster chip that you can press hard on.

But I am happy to see them selling hand over fist.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The only news I see here is that Android leads Apple by 7 pct.. next story please.

You're absolutely correct that there is a higher percentage of phones running Android currently being sold in the US. I'm just curious as to what you think that really means.

You stated the fact... now I want to hear the effect.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
egads, nearly three quarters of you have Facebook?
I don't go in for that FaceBook, Twittter, Whatsapp etc etc.
Boy do you get funny looks when you tell people you don't use them.
The only things I use in that list of popular apps are YouTube, (a LOT), and Google Maps.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I don't go in for that FaceBook, Twittter, Whatsapp etc etc.
Boy do you get funny looks when you tell people you don't use them.
The only things I use in that list of popular apps are YouTube, (a LOT), and Google Maps.

I don't like F book business model, I don't like their intrusiveness, I don't like their war on privacy, and the dude that started it is a douchebag.

Reactions: WWPD and jdillings

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

Facebook ranked as the most popular smartphone app in the U.S. with 73.3% reach, according to comScore's Mobile Metrix. Facebook Messenger, YouTube, Google Search, Google Play, Google Maps, Pandora Radio, Gmail, Instagram and Yahoo Stocks rounded off the top ten apps.

Probably because the vast majority of Apple's 1st party apps are preinstalled, and I'm not sure if stuff like iWork counts as a "sale" when you download it.

Reactions: WWPD

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Apple is like this boat that keeps speeding along. Meanwhile other companies and platforms stagnate or sink.

Amazon Fire phone, anyone?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Probably because the vast majority of Apple's 1st party apps are preinstalled, and I'm not sure if stuff like iWork counts as a "sale" when you download it.
Except if iWork, (sale or not), was in fact the most popular we’d have heard about it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Which is great. Having slightly less than the majority of smartphone marketshare means that Apple can continue to improve their product and ecosystem integration without having to worry as much about anti-trust and monopoly limitations.

Reactions: bobob

stereonight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015

Well what do you expect?
Google's apps available on both android and ios, while apple services only on ios.
That means 0% of android users will (can) use the apple services, while ios users could and of course some will use the google apps.

Look at the list. All of them are cross-os apps.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Well what do you expect?
Google's apps available on both android and ios, while apple services only on ios.
That means 0% of android users will (can) use the apple services, while ios users could and of course some will use the google apps.

Look at the list. All of them are cross-os apps.
You know when they say Windows has more viruses as it’s more widely available they say it isn’t true. Go figure.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
An amazingly diverse set of metrics listed here as the only one that really matters.

For the most part, Apple and Google etc are like football teams. There's the loyal fans, and the tribalism, and the battles, and the armchair analysis. But unlike football, the smartphone fans are free to make up their own scoring system to ensure the right team is always winning.

My favourite so far being that only rich people count - incredible how that make the most expensive contender suddenly the winner.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
It's not really a surprise...

1. Apple are American, people in the US are more likely to buy it for that reason, just like how Nokia stayed more popular in the EU for longer than they should have.

2. The Networks in the US are ****ed, you basically have to have a contract over there, when the subsidized prices are rather similar across the board, there is no barrier to entry for an iPhone.

If the 24 month contract went away and people had to buy their phone up front, Apple would be in big trouble and everyone would be buying things like the Motorola X Style or the LG G4 etc.

Over here in the UK I see the LG G4 for £320, the GS6 for £380, the Style X launches at £360, while the apple alternative is £700. However on contract the price isn't really any more for the 6+...

So I dunno how Apple are keeping contract prices down, but I bet the Networks are just jacking up the price of the Androids because they can.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I think since many third world countries have "smartphones" in use that are actually so low specced, they are actually simply basic phones... we've all realized that info from the United States is FAR more telling as to what is going on momentumwise in the high end smartphone world.
By all means though, if you personally are interested in a metric that is completely meaningless to any of the rest of us here... go seek it out!
Just don't be surprised that it won't make an article here, as it is irrelevant to us and the things we discuss here.

Next iPhone ad:

Typical conversation from a third world country on handed down smart phone:

Mumbambwaaaaa, I forgot my spear.

So, come get it.

Lion is going to eat me.

You mean you don't need phone much more.

I'll come to get phone now.

Bring spear.

It's not an iPhone if it isn't an iPhone.

10 out of 12 lions agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.