iPhone coverage on I-15 from Riverside to Vegas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpine, May 27, 2009.

1. jpine macrumors 6502

Hello everyone. I'd like to hear from anyone drives the I-15 from Riverside to Vegas who has an iPhone. Specifically, are there any or many dead zones? The last thing I want is to have car trouble in the no man's land and no phone service. Looking to jump from Verizon in a few days when the new iPhone comes out. I will reconsider if the coverage is not good.

2. guru_ck macrumors 6502

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I lost service close to Primm but picked it back up in Primm. I believe I also lost it right after I left Barstow, you know that windy ridge where Del Taco and Bob's Big Boy sits? I lost it right out of there for a few miles.
    Coverage maps are BS. Plain and simple.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Well what do you expect, that route is mainly desert so you will of course encounter some dead spots.

5. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

ATT sucks along that road...you won't have 3G for most of that stretch, let along a usable voice signal.

6. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Your reception will suck. I live in Riverside and when I go to Utah or Las Vegas out that way my reception sucks. I don't have an iPhone [yet!], but my Samsung Propel really gets terrible reception on the way there. Mostly 3 bars and EDGE. No 3G. My sister has the first gen iPhone and she had about 3 bars.

7. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

Before I moved here to Las Vegas, I used to commute every weekend between Southern California and here. I had signal most of the way. Yeah, there are a few dead spots sporadically, but they only last for a second or two. I wouldn't be expecting full 3G coverage out in the middle of the desert, but as far as a fair signal for emergency services go, you'll be fine.

8. jpine thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. Looks like the consensus leans towards service that is good enough for emergency purposes.

9. cashsimpson macrumors member

cashsimpson

Like he said, i live in vegas too and head to fresno and so cal every once in a while and get only sporadic little outages...they dont last long, barely noticable.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lost signal a mile after leaving Barstow and got it back around less than a mile. Also, in the final curve before hitting the straight drive before reaching State Line/Prime Valley, I lost signal for a few seconds. Also, nearby Baker, I found a low signal spot.

After that, all trip had strong solid signal and surprisingly very fast internet considering I was on EDGE. I downloaded a song faster on I-15 than I do normally in a metro area... I wonder why:rolleyes::rolleyes: